Red Sox Off-Season: How to Retool for a Repeat?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DoctorJones24, Oct 29, 2004.

1. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Here's the link:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=58655

I really can't blame Pedro for taking the deal with a 4th guaranteed year, and I'm glad the Sox didn't give him a 4th year. Even so, this sucks. Maybe they'll make a big push for Hudson. At least I hope so. The alternative is (gulp) Lowe accepting arbitration.

2. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA

If a Manny deal helps us get front-line pitching, especially if Pedro goes to the Mets, then I could stomach it.

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the alternative is Clement AND Burnett.

4. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get Hudson here NOW.

5. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    There are inklings that Clement is on his way to Anaheim, although I'm sure the Sox will make a big push now. As for Burnett, any deal for him would have to include Arroyo. Burnett's a quality pitcher, but I don't think he's enough of an upgrade over Bronson to warrant a deal, especially after taking salaries into account.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Braves have thrown their hat into the ring here, and seeing as how Hudson is originally from Georgia, that would hurt us.

Living in Chicago, I see a lot of Cubs games, and while I'm not totally sold on Clement, he wouldn't be a bad move.

7. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Hudson is under contract and doesn't have a no-trade clause, so he will pitch wherever Oakland sends him. Although I don't think it will be Boston.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sox have signed LHP John Halama, previously of the Devil Rays. He'll probably be used in relief, though he might get into the starting rotation once in a while.

And it looks like Edgar Renteria has signed a four-year, $40 mil deal with the Sox as well.

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Sox have agreed to a 3/25M contract with Matt Clement.

Boo-yah, biznitches.

10. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Clement...I think he won't be as good in Fenway because he walks too many people...but he will get more wins simply because the BoSox will give him more run support.

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    What I love about this is how perfectly it encapsulates how we have been conditioned to think for so long--we haven't yet recognized that this is the "Post Theo Era."

While I would have liked to see Pedro back for another 2 years, I'm VERY happy about the combined signings of Wells, Clement, Mantei, and now Wade Miller, especially since all but Clement are essentially low salaries with incentives if they stay healthy.

Wade Miller is a borderline ace if he stays healthy.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I doubt the fans could stomach losing Varitek so this K makes sense when factoring in the PR value, but Varitek the ballplayer (or "leader") isn't worth $40M for four years.

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They named him captain too. The C you see on the jersey's just for display, though. It's up to Tek if he wants to wear it.

I hope he doesn't. It's ugly.

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he will either. Everyone knows Tek is the leader, I think he knows he is, he doesn't need a letter on his jersey to prove he's the leader. Does Jeter wear a "C"? I don't recall him ever wearing one. The only player I ever recalled wearing a C was Sosa.

15. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Lowe is closing in on a four year, $36 million deal with the Dodgers. I didn't think he would come near what he turned down with the Sox. Ok then, good luck with that LA. Isn't that just a bit much for someone with an ERA over 5? The Dodgers always seem to overpay players. See Dreifort, Green, and more recently Drew for what I'm talking about.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen many updates in here recently, but here goes. Arroyo and Bellhorn resigned to one-year deals, avoiding arbitration. Also Curt Schilling is hoping to be ready by opening day to face old pal Randy Johnson. David Ortiz hopes to have recovered from his shoulder problem by the start of spring training.

Right now, the rotation I'd like is:

Schill
    Clement
    Wake
    Miller
    Arroyo

Unfortunately, Tito will almost certainly have Wells in there somewhere. Too bad because I can't stand the fatass. But at least he throws strikes, and seems to have stopped giving up so many flyouts. Halama, Kim, and Alvarez could all get starts at some point too.

I'd also prefer to keep Mientkiewicz over Millar, even though KFC Boy is more of a clubhouse favorite. His defense helped down the stretch, and we sure weren't short of power (not that Mientkiewicz can't do well with the bat himself). It'd be sad after we all learned how to spell his name. ;)

17. speedee92

speedee92 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I think the sox have more weapons than the yanks and will win the al east.

18. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Well, I think the GM took a gamble and thinking that he might stay. The GM didn't really have to wait for Pedro's decision. It was a fair gamble because if Pedro stayed, by far he is going to be the best Pitcher on the Red Sox.

Think on the Bright side, at least the other NY team didn't get him if you know what I mean.

It is unfortunate.

19. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eyechart's gone. This pisses me off. I'm certain Shaughnessy's article had a huge part to play in this.

God, does this make me angry. He was a brilliant first baseman. The Mets are laughing all the way to the NL East crown.

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(
    I really wanted to keep Minky, but hopefully Theo is doing what is best for the team, and not doing this because of the ball. All of the "final piece" players we got last season, Roberts, Cabrera, and now Mientkiewicz are gone. I wonder if this will give McCarty or Youkilis more time at 1st.

As for the Mets. They'll find a way to screw it up. They always do.

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love the caption Yahoo has under the picture of Minky:

"Mientkiewicz isn't too popular in Boston."

Fvck you, sports media and a double fvck you to CHB. You really love to stick it to us, don't you? :rolleyes:

22. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    Is it me, or is this whole Mientkiewicz/WS ball thing the most overblown story in the history of Boston Sports.

Seriously... who gives a **********?

23. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I read somewhere that Wade Miller is out till at least June. Anyone else heard that?

24. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, I didn't relize that Shank had that much power!! Has it occurred to you that maybe no one wanted Kevin Millar. Therefore they had to trade Doug Mientkiewicz because he would bring something in return. I wanted the Sox to keep Mientkiewicz but not at the expense of getting nothing in return.