Red Bulls fire Director of Business Operations Chris Heck

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps in a surprise to approximately no one considering the numerous failures that have occurred in the NY FO since the move into RBA, the Red Bulls have fired their head of Business Operations Chris Heck.

While from a historical perspective it is hard to call averaging over 17k fans a game a failure, it is clear that the Red Bulls are struggling to get their brand into the NY/NJ market. Heck has spent his time with the Red Bulls crapping on the long term fans that survived the MetroStars rebranding to Red Bulls, having a marketing plan that seemed to be centered entirely around "Red Bull Arena, Henry, and Marquez are enough to bring fans, screw advertising," and brilliant ideas like camp day, so it shouldn't come as any surprise the Austrians aren't happy with him. I'm also sure they were expecting much more from Heck considering they provided him with a palace to American soccer and two very marketable players...

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is he one of those guys from The Middle?

Eric B repped this.
  3. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thank god... lets.see.if.the guys in Austria put someone at least with a little interest in the well being of the team and fans

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a Heck of a surprise.

5. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was hoping for this, didn't actually expect it though. Great news. Here's to hoping that the new guy helps marketing catch up to on-field ambitions.

On a side note, how many marketing guys from successful markets (PHI, VAN, especially rags-to-riches SKC) are getting opportunities in less successful markets? You'd think they'd be getting job hires the way Belichick's assistants did.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Truly sad. He was one heck of a guy.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't get points in this business for being a nice guy. It's a results based business and Heck failed at what he was supposed to do. This happened not a day too early imo. Increasing expectations and standards is good for MLS as a whole.

8. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was being sarcastic

9. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he should start a band called Chris Heck and the Unemploydoids

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I think you entirely missed what the Heck he was talking about.

diablodelsol, Jasonma, Len and 2 others repped this.
  11. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the Trophee des Champions under his jurisdiction too? If it was, that didn't help things.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No.

13. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've gathered from RBNY fans, this move, by itself, has the potential to bump up MLS' average next year a noticeable amount. If RBNY goes up 1900 per game, that means 100 per game for the league as a whole. A merely competent replacement should do that. A good replacement would do alot better.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I read the camp day spelled the end of his job and also that he did not have a soccer mind or did not know much about the game. I think you should either appoint former MLS players or coaches to top administrative positions. I mean I'm sure you need the marketing guys and all but it would be nice if you have some soccer people involved with teams who have played and/or coached in the league and who knows how things work.

15. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Time for Peter Wilt to make a return.

I PINCH! and SYoshonis repped this.
  16. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    To Heck with this thread.

17. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That time began the moment he was let go by the Fire.

Allez RSL, MasterShake29, Eric B and 3 others repped this.
  18. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also the question of whether he would even like to return. Even with the time that has passed, the way that his time with Chicago ended may have left a taste so bad that he chooses not to take on any corporate situation like that again.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    but things went so well the last time Chicago let him back in.

20. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seemed interested over on Metrofanatic when his name was brought up

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible idea. You need a business person, first and foremost, who is also familiar with soccer and its fan culture. You don't install a jock who's never even run a lemonade stand to run a business worth hundreds of millions.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  22. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's trying to say that they could employ a former player who's familiar with business. Kind of the way Scott Garlick jumped into real estate after retiring or how Levesque's going back to school. Bring a former player that's been studying business/marketing and see how that works out perhaps.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly.

I'm not saying only in business positions per say or about appointing just anyone and not all of the "jocks" are as stupid as you think. Mostly in technical areas of the team and personnel decisions which IMHO, are most crucial to the club. Also, a lot of the former MLS players got college degrees and at least they know the game and the league as they played in it. Anyway, I already see former players in important MLS positions...
    Dynamo- Assistant Coach -Steve Ralston /Assistant Coach Wade Barret/ Dom Kinnear coach
    Quakes GM -John Doyle who went to USF
    Rapids -tech director Paul Bravo SCU
    Sounders - tech director Chris Henderson
    Revs GM - Mike Burns
    Caps -President former NASL & WC player Bob Lenarduzzi & Carl Robinson assistant coach
    Revs coach Jay Heaps
    NY/SJ/LA- GM Alexi Lalas
    NY GM- Jeff Agoos
    KC -Technical Director and Head Coach- Peter Vermes
    RSL -Garth Lagerwey team’s senior vice president and general manager

24. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to mention Nick Sakiewicz, former FC Nantes goalkeeper...

Agoos is long gone, and not as a success.

Red Bull's problem is that they are badly underachieving at attracting a supporter base proportionate to the size of the market. Building a great stadium didn't solve the problem, and neither did signing a bunch of big name players, some of whom are actually talented. The problem is that there isn't much of a connection between the team and the broader community. That's a long-running concern, exacerbated by Red Bull's pioneering attempt to brand the shit out of an American sports team.

An ex-player with an MBA isn't going to fix that, unless we're talking about someone with tons of charisma and real credibility in the local area. And who's that? A cult favorite like Petke? Probably not. A guy with deep North Jersey soccer ties like Reyna or Harkes? No thank you.

I'll take someone who has bought into the "local club" model over other candidates. How that person would negotiate between Austria and the Ironbound, I do not know. But Wilt wrote the blueprint for the really distinctive, attractive aspects of the MLS experience, so that would put him on my shortlist.

derek750 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should fire the whole team after their performance last night.

Dyvel repped this.