Red Bull disastrous opening day

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Metrogo, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    12K for opening night the year after they had their best season. They always said we just need a winner and things will turn around... well???

In part, the problem is MLS's ridiculous scheduling, to wit; scheduling MLS games on internaitonal weekends and in the case of this game, scheduling it so it overlaps with an important US qualifier.

Still, when you're given lemons, you try to make lemonade. What does RB do to address the situation? From what I can tell, nothing. It's amazing that the team that three years ago thought that hiring shakira and some daredevil parachutists would be a great idea for opening day can't be bothered to try to do something to accommodate the soccer fans who don't want to miss the US game. For chrissake, start the game at 7:10, then at the end bring in some giant television screens, give out some free food and soft drinks, ask Tab Ramos to come and talk about playing for the nats and metros and make a night out of it. Something for the real soccer fans.

This should be a warning to us. If we got an MLS team, we can't sit around and let them take us for granted, and more importantly, take the game and its fans for granted. I think there must be a balance between unconditional loyalty to a team and making reasonable demands.

2. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    How about we wait until Red Bull Arena opens before we say anything about the Red Bulls? I'm a NYC2 supporter, but I am also the first to say that Giants Stadium and its location (the fact that its in the isolated swamp, not that its in New Jersey) is the biggest reason this team can't draw well. The new stadium alone won't solve everything, but it will be a big part of the solution. And with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement coming at the end of this year, Red Bull might be able to spend closer to what they'd like to.

And always, always remember the biggest reason NYC2 makes sense. Not because the Red Bulls play in New Jersey, but the fact that this market is so big that two spread out teams could easily be handled. In fact, I'd consider one team in Hudson County and one in Queens to be more ideal than two teams in different NYC boroughs (unless one team was somehow in Manhattan).

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    As a person who does not support red bull, that's easy for you to say. Yes, the arena should be a boon, but what about this year? What about your season ticket holders? Red Bull got an opening, the team made it to the final for the first time. Rather than trying to do something to keep up some momentum, they do jack. They let the players down, the fans down.

There will be a new CBA, but what makes you think the other teams won't spend more too? But that's not really the point. Doesn't the team have some obligaation to promote attendance and to serve the soccer fan community? I think they do, and they didn't do squat. The fans need a seat at the table, and at red bull, they don't get one.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Also, any new MLS team in NYC will be NYC1, not NYC2. NYC1 makes sense because there is a missed opportunity of a huge fan base in NYC. That's why it makes sense. While I think a derby type rivalry would be a positive thing, the reason having a team in NYC has got nothing to do with existence or non-existence of a NJ team. It has to do with whether an NYC team could capitalize on the millions of soccer fans in NYC proper.

5. tmdrdd

tmdrdd New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just came across this. This is their "marketing strategy" ?!?!?

"The Red Bulls Mobile Marketing Team hit the street of Manhattan Wednesday to raise awareness and get the word out on the 2009 Red Bulls season. Check out these videos of them in action and look for them around town in the coming days and weeks! Videos after the jump!!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4dgC-TiVY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Red Bulls Take Manhattan, Part 1[/ame]

VERY, VERY painful to watch

Comments here:
    http://redbullsreader.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/red-bulls-take-manhattan-parts-1-and-2/

6. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is what pisses me off about some RedBull fans....
    I'll be the first to admit, i have NOTHING against them as fans...
    heck..i even like some of them...
    but to berate me for not supporting this corporation?....
    I don't know..i choose not to be a part of it.
    I find it mind-boggling they get mad at me for not sucking it up and supporting RedBull anyway. Forget supporting European teams, i'd give up watching club soccer completely if my only option is supporting them.

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Good find, and just oh my god!

Enjoyed this quote:
    "What an idea. Let’s get a bunch of annoying people with really screechy, high voices and have them run around like losers with face paint and horns. And oh yeah let’s copy that video from Grand Central Station and take long dramatic pauses. That’ll work! This only gets the word out that we’re annoying and unoriginal.

I am ashamed to be a fan with garbage like this."

Again, how about marketing to, you know, the 2 million or so soccer fans in the metro area by catering to them.

Honestly, this is not against the Red Bull fans at all, and it's the reason I didn't put it on their board, I didn't want them to think I was trolling. I'm really not. The sad truth is that the Red Bull office think they know better, and they could care less what soccer FANS think, including their own loyal fan base.

Again, explain to me why this is a better idea than my proposal in the first post, which took me 10 seconds to think of? Get the word out through the blogs, bars, etc. "Join red bull for opening day, and stay with your fellow fans, we will unite rev and RB fans to cheer on the USMNT"

I guarantee you there were 3000 or 4000 people who did not go to the game because of the nats game. Why not make it easy for them, and even enjoyable. Instead, pay a dozen out of work actors to walk around like morons, pique the interest of the tourists who are not going to spend there one saturday night in NYC sitting outside in E rutherford, and pissing off their target by clogging the streets. Great idea!

8. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow...i just actually WATCHed the entire thing..
    so painful...so painful...
    what are they thinking? I literally can't figure out how they think
    this would interest people in watching soccer....

9. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The main issue of the Red Bulls is that they are a 100% a NJ team, but they have a NY name. Therefore there isn't absolutely identity with NYC, but also little identity with NJ. A true disastrous !!!!!!

10. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when you coming to NYC Fabio? Opening day in 2010??

11. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dear Brandon, I hope to come in your fantastic city for the MLS opening day in 2012 !!
    When Wednesday, you and Nick, will go to the press conference, don't forget to ask to these new owners that all the NYC soccer fans WISH and above all DESERVE a true NYC team in MLS by 2012.
    Thanks for your great job and I hope that Wednesday you give me good news !!!!!

12. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are also forgetting that they put the home opener in competition with the Mexico WCQ. Now just the USMNT is bad enough. Putting it in competition with the Mexico WCQ and USMNT WCQ is plain stupid. It probably wasn't entirely their decision, but stupid nonetheless.

Did they put the game on in the stadium at all? Anywhere?

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The only thing I will say about Red Bull is this -

NYC (in the borroughs) will only get a team and stadium if we can get an owner with the will and money to persevere through our convoluted system like Red Bull. No, I don't mean a corporate name. Any owner with huge pockets and huge will because that is what it will take.

There is plenty of talk and hope, but those are completely different things than it actually happneing. Until then it's talk. That's it.

It wasn't until RB pushed hard and threw money around, and even then there was a lot of issues/resistance, that the stadium got done.

NYC2 in Queens would be monstrous IMO but I view it as little more than a fantasy until I see the money adn will to press on...for a long time.

Not trying to be a downer, but that is reality, and I accept. Let's see if the USL owners can do what no one ever could here in NY. Unless they can get a decent venue/location I fear that this project will not last.

Let's face it guys, to get this done here will be incredibly difficult, and we are gonna need someone with the will and money of an RB. Sorry, that's reality.

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The home opener in 2005 was much, much worse. Granted, the weather sucked, but it was still much lower.

15. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are also forgetting all the South American WCQ's as well.

16. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

"WE" - Haven't see you at any of the events. Now you talk about "WE"??? LOL

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Ok. So?

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed for sure! We know its not going to be easy and we are in it for the long run.

I encourage you to come out to one of our events and find out all we have done and what we continue to do - perhaps you will see it not as a fantasy as you do now! And your view is fair!

19. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I just saw that video it was F***ing painful to watch....

I was Insulted..... I really felt Insulted.... all the years invested in metro and the 2 seasons I gave these dumb bastards to see if any thing about them could grow on me. and all I have built up for them is AN UTTER HATRED!!!! I HATE THEM AND EVERY THING ABOUT THEM......those 2 years I only went for the ESC and los villeros cause when they are on their game it can really be a good time in 101 and I really really had a good time with those cats...a wonderful time watching my kid having a good time in 101 really ment alot to me but i was going for the reason of hanging out in 101 not cause I cared about that garbage on the field.. I was happy if they lost did not care if they won and was what ever if they drew..all the wrong reasons to be going.....I finally exploded and said enough is enough last Aug vs Colorado, as much fun as it was to roll with the ESC it was no longer enough of a reason to keep me there and it was never an ESC issue with me or that metro was a jersey team it came down to that PROSITUTION ABORTION MARKETING SHAM that I could no longer take...Also there are people who actually care about that marketing sham I will not rag on that its their right to support that IF THEY HAVE AN ACTUALL CONNECTION TO THAT... why should I continue to go to 101 with my SH!T attitude towards that "team" why should I continue to insult my former comrads who actually care with my never ending hatred for their team and negative presence so I left..I know those ESC cats come and read here to them I thank them a million times over for the kindness and affection they have shown my kid the giving me free tickets from time to time the rides to and from my house the bummed smokes the putting up with me the booze and food in 16 A the free ride to see the nats in CT and so on...Most of those guys are aces in my book some of them I dont see eye to eye but its not a personal thing not on my end at least... and to them any insults directed at that ABORTION the league passes off as a club IS NOT AN INSULT TO THE ECS OR ANY OF THEM if they take it that way f it seperate the 2 things man.....

The league allowed them to scrap a failing identity and replace them with this garbage reminder of a drink...they the austrians really want me to have a pasion for a drink.........FU*K YOU REDBULL AND YOUR GOD DAMN DRINK!!!!
    If the league wanted a new identity when they sold this to red s h i t they had the chance to make a proper football club identity if metros was no longer to their liking what they got is a Fing EMBARRASMENT to any desent football fan and a embarrasment and insult to their own fans..... their own supporters still sing for a club thats not around and when they had a meeting with season ticket holders there were a few that told them they hated their constant reminder of red bull this and red bull that......

seeing those poor stupid souls walking around looking like IDIOTS and ACTING LIKE IDIOTS in the streets of manhattan and in Fing day light of all things I'm glad I bailed out on them This video screams PROMOTING their STUPID DRINK this is an utter insult to any one who once gave a damn about metro..... Metro Playoff fever was a disaster as well (the screaming hillbilly on top of a roof in down town manhattan) but at least it has more integrity than this god damn video...... BASTARDS I really hate this god damn energy drink and every thing they stand for.......for me it was never a NY NJ issue like many of yous here I saw metro as the local side regardless of what side of the river they played at... I was connected to them and even when i was banned i still hoped 4 the best and watched every game on tv. But THIS ABORTION that is there today I can not will not and could not emotionally get attached to that drink propaganda...........

so they wasted a whole day filming THIS????????

only to re enforce every thing i have said about the drink........

ED NYC FIRM was smart enough to say F that drink from day 1 he was a former ESC cat...
    I was stupid enough to give it a try out of some MISGUIDED SENCE OF LOYALTY!!!!

as far as NYC the league has no other choice but to pass on NY if no one comes up to the table.... the days of league runned teams are over...Garber has a hard on for NYC but just cause you have a hard on does not mean you get to hump the beautiful drunken red head from the night club.......

it comes down to the $$$$$ at the end of the day.....

I hope the USL nyc thing works it can be a launching pad to MLS but after watching the US el salvadore game and seeing the USL adds IN EL SALVADORE really makes me believe that USL is not happy with MLS snatching up their top clubs and this might be a rivalry war a la Mcdonalds vs Burger king.......

now a USL team in NYC a chance to hit MLS in the face and say hey we did it and you cant in the NY market......but b-4 they even blow steam they have to make it happen on and off the field.... can this be the next rochester portland or seattle that remains to be seen... wensdays is a big hint of things to come...

Nick ask them the tough questions man..........

20. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    I just saw that god damn video again you know what all those dressed up a$$ holes deserve to be stabbed and beaten into the god damn ground!!!!!

I'm Insulted in every god damn way.. what the hell is that in any way related to SOCCER????????OR RELATED IN A F ING WAY TO A PROPER MARKETING OF A SOCCER CLUB IN NYC......

and you know what the next time they hit the road with their Fing sad A$$ Gimmicks do the ESC a favor and dont sing any of their songs last thing they need is to asociated with a god damn awful video such as THAT.....

F**K YOU DRINK F**K YOU ALL THE WAY TO HELL!!!!!!

THAT VIDEO IS SOME THING OUT OF A BAD ACID TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    +1 to those last 2 posts .. Nothing you can really add

22. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The biggest failure of those clowns is confusing just what you are supposed to be promoting. Anyone walking by this trainwreck would think they were promoting the energy drink and not know a thing about the home opener.

Then again the team is really about promoting a soft drink.

23. austinwetherby

austinwetherby New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cant wait to drink 2 red bulls tomarrow for truck

24. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    ED,

These dick heads in the awful get up the person filming and the drink executive who came up with this repulsive video idea should ALL DIE IN A TRAIN WRECK!!!!!

like I said this is some thing out of a BAD ACID TRIP AND BAD MUSHROOMS COMBINED!!!!

man a real bad trip... I'm FURIOUS of having to see this garbage......

really I wish I would have been walking by that train wreck I would have punched one of these poor slobs in the face.....

way to market that "team" another failure yet again...

the more they try the more people dont give a damn......

last year I was in the hamptons hanging out I saw more LA galaxy jersies at bars the beach and night clubs and not a single Drink Jersey.....

the only thing close to any one wearing the local side gear was me rocking the final metro jersey that ever came out when i went bar hopping.........

that alone tells you that the locals would rather root for beckham and the LA team than the local marketing sham...

the drink self promotion is a joke and deep down inside MLS must hate to even refer the "NY" side as redbull...

i dont know which is worst...

being named after a F U C KING Drink or borrowing the identity of a mexican club side...
    to me thats just how bad it is..............

both are bad and MLS is at fault for not pulling weight and try to even protect the image of the league by saying no to these two sad ass ideas......

no way MLB NBA or NFL even allow some thing like red bull (put your city here) idea even fly.....

25. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    I dont get it man...

they have Juan pablo angel a very gifted player a good looking cat as well he speaks perfect english and spanish build a marketing ad around him 30 second TV spots running on eng and spanish TV bill board ads around the city featuring your players and not in some lame GQ pose but some action shot or buying space in times square and putting together a 40 sec high light package with a few cuts of the ESC and run that on the jumbo tron in times square every 20 min...thats how you market a team....

but with all their millions the best they can do is this?????????????????

they hired a bunch of kids from some sad ass theather drama class to walk around in pretend slow motion making stupid faces and then taking off screaming and yelling all while dressed up in that horrific HOLLOWEEN GET UP!!!!!

THATS THE BEST THEY CAN DO????????????

I know we are in some economic tough times but come on.....................

Note to USL team the NY Rockers or what ever they are going to call themselfs...

dont DO ANYTHING EVER REMOTLEY RELATED TO the TRAIN WRECK that was the idea redbull take manhattan.......

but i MUST still be on drugs cause no way my ideas are even possible no my ideas are laughable at best right??????

no no drink what you are doing is just fine keep up your awful work your ideas give you wings to fly high in the world of EMBARRASMENT!!!

I wonder if DC got a few of their trailor trash skin heads to walk around that FAVELA DUMP of a city in dc gear in slow motion and screaming and all that... where is DC takes the ghetto video....

thats right a REAL 1st class organization would never stoop to this level......
    and mind you I hate them but they have been 1st class all the way since day 1...