Red Bull Arena Construction Thread III: Return of the Kaiser.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by jamison, Dec 13, 2008.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Thread 3 leads us into the new year...

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    That picture is out of date. You should update it Jamison ;) :D

Our baby has grown since that earlier picture.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIO17, you should be aware that construction was delayed several months because of delays in obtaining permits. The approval process in New Jersey is slow and complicated particularly for sites like this that sit on potentially toxic land in need of remediation. That said progress once they broke ground has been very good. Steel erection which started in the end of August if I recall correctly, has been progressing nicely as has the erection and grouting of the precast concrete planks. While the grandstand is tarped and I am sure work is taking place, I wonder if they are working shifts. Many construction sites leave the light stringers lit after hours for profile visibility and security. Perhaps someone knows. I feel reluctant to contact Hunter Roberts, the CM again since they were so reluctant to provide additional information, and I know I would not appreciate calls or emails from people that were not involved directly on one of my projects. I could not get any firm dates for construction other than the last quarter of 2009, much less a CPM schedule.

I still stick by earlier predict of October 2009 occupancy. Early occupancy if everything goes well would be September 2009. Getting C of O's (Certificates of Occupancies) is becoming more difficult and time consuming.

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thanks for the information Alberto. There are certain things that I don't know about & I'm glad we have experts on here that can tell us these things.

5. MetroStone

MetroStone New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A PM from the erection company told me last summer that they were slated for 7 months of erection. Originally scheduled as 6, but with the design changes and steel additions when 100% CD's were released it added a month. That puts steel from ~ 8/15/08 to 3/15/08. They look to be right on that, there is a lot of work on the South end plus the final roof trusses.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    As I said before, I'm glad we have experts here that knows the inside & outs in the construction business. Thank you MetroStone for you inside information.

7. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like they have been making terrific progress based on what I have been seeing via the webcam. I would expect that you might be getting something more from the FO shortly because of Season Tickets and the Season Schedule. At least I would expect what dates they are targeting as the first game at RBA.

I would also expect you should be hearing something on the process for picking out your seats in the new stadium. I'm sure someone has been tasked with putting that plan together.

8. Memit

Memit Member

Aug 27, 2007
    This is an important press release about Harrison redevelopment project surrounding RBA , date: 6TH November 2008 here

I'm sure now that the entire project is underway besides RBA .

9. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from that Press Release:

10. Memit

Memit Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Yes , that means the roadways to the entire project and RBA will be ready by that date . Then in 2010 the vertical construction will begins :

In just 5 years , the whole area around RBA will be rise with retail spaces , hotels and residential units .

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The retail economy is seriously deflated at this time. Will it recover in the next five years with sufficient strength to support this new site? Nobody knows. Is there enough strength in the metropolitan economy to support new retail space in Harrison?

Right now, the stadium and the team seem the best investment on the site.

12. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they sell the land to the team for parking lots I'm all for it!

13. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    is the webcam site not working for anyone else?

14. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    works for me

15. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does anyone know why they don't appear to be working on the far end from the web came?

16. MetroStone

MetroStone New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have 2 cranes facing that way right now, but they don't appear to be moving. I don't know if the weather there is as bad as it is in Bridgewater, but Ironworkers will not be walking steel with sleet or freezing rain.

Looks like they are setting up for South End work.

17. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    even before the bad weather it seemed like little was being done on the far end. i'm sure this is not the case. anyone with closer knowledge know what has been going up/being put in place the last week or so?

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Before the snow came early this evening I saw on the web cam at least 4 to 5 sections of pre-cast concrete rows on the lower level. In my view just about two weeks + before 2009 comes into town, that's an accoplishment in my book. That progress is being made before they bring in more seating sections and almost finishing up the steel construction.

19. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the time they get the whole thing developed, the economy should be in recovery mode, at least. So they'd arrive right on time.

Plus, even if retail is weak, there is still always a need for it. People won't stop buying stuff. They'll slow down, but old stuff always needs replaced eventually.

And there's always repositioning of retail, if not expansion of it. Like this Riverbend District might replace other area retail, rather than add to it, if retail continues to suffer. It's a pretty good location, being right next to the Northeast Corridor and PATH station, and its proximity to Newark and NYC via transit--in a tight market, they might steal business away from surrounding communities, if anything.

20. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    RIVERBEND! :D Nice.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, I hope they get some work done today. The forecast is for cloudy but dry weather and tomorrow is supposed to be vile.

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    At 1:42PM I just noticed something on the Webcam. It looks like some form of, I would have to assume Grating on the stands in the upper deck? I don't know if these are extra support beams to keep the pre-cast concrete still or if it's a better way to keep them still.

If some of you guys that knows these things can see what I am seeing, please comment below. But so far that's something new that I'm seeing with the construction site and both cranes are moving as well.

23. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. MetroStone

MetroStone New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upper bowl will be an aluminum riser system, think high school stands but a much higher grade. Plus they will have seats, not bleachers. Because aluminum isn't as strong as concrete they cannot span 30' like the lower bowl. They require intermediate supports beyond the steel rakers, those supports are what you are seeing.

25. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thanks for the information MetroStone. I am happy to see those steel rakers up to help support the pre-cast concrete for the upper deck.