Red Army Supporters Group for Des Moines Menace

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by SnakeEyes, May 26, 2004.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Flyers have been going out this week. If anyone is interested in joining please contact me at MenaceRedArmy@aol.com

Besides the obvious fun of gathering with other good fans, supporting the Menace together and talking soccer, it will also provide the chance for a group tailgate and hopefully a gathering group for WCQs over the next year and a half at places around town. The Menace are offering reduced ticket prices (season and single game) to those in The Red Army and 10% off a red Menace shirt, should you not have one. I'd really like this to get off the ground, I think it's the one thing missing from matches. With the numbers the Menace get, and the good fans that are at games, we should have a supporters club. The 4 of us singing at matches now are not enough.

If you know anyone who'd be interested, maintain or know someone who maintains a soccer mailing list, please forward on the flyer. Finally, any of you with suggestions of where to get flyers too? I've already got them to Johnston, Urbandale, Hoover High, and Soccer Connection. In particular I'd like ideas to try to and reach some older, college types and whatnot.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Red Army...... :eek: ;)

Good luck with your supporters group.

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I'm hoping so. We have the numbers that it's possible to get a start :)

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how did it go for the Red Army last year? Were you able to get some people to join in with ya SnakeEyes?

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Eh.. some, we had anywhere from 5-10 people depending on the game. Players loved what did exist. I was asked by mutiple players if we would be back next season. There will be more people next year as others here on BS will be joining us and we will be more organized with flags/banners/drums and such.

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent effort this year. I like to sit on the west side (back to the sun), but I could hear you. Good luck next year. I'll be more involved with high school - reffing and watching my two boys play, but will get to games when I can.

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    We are going to discuss whether to locate on that west side next year as it seems more were likely to join if we were staring into the sun each week. There are plusses and minuses to each side.

8. Menace Fan

Menace Fan New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Joe Riley Park
    Any thoughts on temporary bleachers behind a goal? Harrassing the keeper would be good fun. I think the East side woudl be better, but yes that sun is mighty bright.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Menace considered it for 03, thinking they were going to jump their numbers after the 02 season I guess, but I was told it was not cost effective.

10. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Just a thought, but what about having our own shirts made that have a special logo for the Red Army which would incorporate one large red star on it (maybe just a star on the back?) to symbolize the 2002 Division Championship?

They are not that much to have made, and maybe they could increase the ticket cost and include the shirt?

11. LINCOLN CITY FC

Oct 8, 2004
    Lincolnshire,England
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    As an outsider I was just wondering why the "Menace" don`t play at a higher level. It would appear you have higher attendances than most A-league teams. Is there some specific reasons why you don`t play at a higher level (Finances, location, etc) because you appear to have the fan base to do it? and you look to be trying to build your own stadium. :confused:

12. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    To be quite honest, even if the finances and stadium were there.....I think there is some quite serious turmoil right now in the organization. Not to be critical, but I don't think the owner is quite sure where the Club is going. Don't get me wrong, I like what Kyle has done in getting this party started.... it just seems as though things are stalling a bit. Anyone else heard any rumblings about FO people shuffling about? I understand some BIG changes have occurred. Still waiting for a press release though on the website to open my mouth.

13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Yes, apparantly there are some changes occuring I'm sure word will spring up soon. I'm hesistant to say anything as well until they are made public. The Menace seem to have stagnated from 02. They need to pick it up. This club needs to make some moves and position itself for the A-League. It's a shame the USL Second Division (formerly PSL, formerly D3) is as small and regional as it is, it would be a place for the Menace to slowly step up.

14. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Just to kinda add to what SnakeEyes and MenaceFanatic have said, in a lot of ways Krause has done some great things here with sponsorships and promotions, getting the teams name out into the publics mind and getting the attendance to where it is. In a lot of ways you could say he has done the best job in America for getting a minor league soccer team to where it is today outside of a few A-league teams. On the other hand...he seems to be a hard man to get along with and there has been a revolving door of coaches coming in and quickly leaving here plus now some apparent front office changes. Add to that Krause has burned quite a few bridges with local municipalities over the whole stadium situation.

Krause is a man with money and has spent quite a bit of it already on the Menace, I think at this time he just can't make up his mind if he wants to spend more of it by moving up to the A-league...or I guess it's USL-1 now.

I think the Menace with a proper stadium could certainly increase attendance and average anywhere from 6,000 to 9,000 per game. But with the increased costs associated with the move up to the USL-1 ...travel, player salaries, would they be able to increase sponsoship dollars enough not to lose money? I think this is where things are stalling with Krause. This is also where a lot of Menace fans are frustrated. We love the team and by the attendance numbers are obviously supporting it, but there has seemed to be the promise of bigger and better things to come in the future and it gets frustrating thinking of yet another year of lower division soccer.

On another note Lincoln City, your support of lincoln city and the Fire would fit in well with the Menace, we are another team with red as our primary color. We aren't too far away from Chicago, if you ever get to a game in Chicago you should think of a trip over to Des Moines to see one of our games.

15. LINCOLN CITY FC

Oct 8, 2004
    Lincolnshire,England
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    On another note Lincoln City, your support of lincoln city and the Fire would fit in well with the Menace, we are another team with red as our primary color. We aren't too far away from Chicago, if you ever get to a game in Chicago you should think of a trip over to Des Moines to see one of our games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all that info, and when I eventually get over to Chicago I will certainly come over to watch the Menace as well. If you are ever over in England be sure to come and see Lincoln City play we will make you most welcome.

May I wish you and the Menace Good luck for the future. :)

16. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  17. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
  18. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I think the Cauldron would easily fit ;)

19. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Snake, I think you know I'm in, and will get the word out to the soccer club I run. Let me know how else I can help.

20. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Cool beans, I'm gonna start a 2005 thread once I talk with the FO, see what they can help us with, in the next week and we can start throwing around ideas and whatnot with others here.

21. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I would be interested in some of the things that the Menace has done to get such impressive numbers in attendace.

As of last season I was turned on to the PDL when a friend played a short stint with the Boulder Rapids Resv. I fell the league is beggining to play a huge part in the developement of soccer in the US, as well as accomidate some smaller cities with teams.

I would also recommend a road trip for the red army supporters. When Colorado Springs came up to play BRR, I was impressed by the Blizzards 30 person fan base that attened and over shadowed at our home game.

As a player it must feel great to get that kind of support on the road.

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I don't know if Colorado is possible, it is a long trip. But if we get KC on the road that should definately be in.

23. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    sorry didn't mean to imply a road trip to Colorado. Just any road trip for your supports section and club.

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    All depends on the schedule really.

25. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Heck, even Sioux Falls Wisconsin, and Chicago would be do-able.....and a LOT of fun! Now, the Canada stops are out for me......too cold and too far!