Recent article on (no) alcohol at Qatar 2022 ...

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by TheDallasPerspective, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well FIFA makes big big money off selling booze sponsorships. I can't imagine they will be too happy about this.

2. <crosses fingers>

3. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't they been discussed having 'drinking zones'? It would be a 5 mile radius around the stadiums of where people can drink. Sort of like what they did in South Africa with there official sponsors.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also have no idea how it's illegal to drink at Russian football games. I've never had a problem.

5. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA deserves whatever problems come with this World Cup. You want to have a rigged "vote," deal with the consequences.

flowergirl and nicodemus repped this.
  6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually rather excited about the possibility of attending a World Cup (or at least dreaming about it), but I have no interest in this one. This coming from someone that really wants to travel in the Middle East too. I just think there's too much surrounding this that'll make it less than optimal.

7. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    when ireland played in iran in a wcq playoff, WOMEN, were NEVER permitted in the tehran stadium

but that's ONLY iranian women, as irish babes were permiitted

now, you need to know public drinking in muslim countries will get uou into deep do-do, but private drinking wink wink, you know

2022 is 10 years away

what will you be doinh in 10 years

8. njgrouch

njgrouch Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Caroline County VA
    Well, hopefully and, more importantly drinking and celebrating US victories in Qatar. ;)

9. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar will be great if you have the money and connections to be part of official FIFA gatherings. No way FIFA will have "dry" parties for themselves. As for the rest of us we will be allowed to drink in the designated areas in and around the stadium where we will be offered different varieties of Inbev products at greatly inflated prices. Yeh think I am going to sit this one out.

Master O repped this.
  10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been to Doha. You can drink there but not on the street only in western hotels and restaraunts. And many restaurants are dry.

When I was there the weather was nice and pleasant. Of course I was there in Freaking January.

11. Wali antelopes

Wali antelopes Red Card

Nov 24, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm sure the authorities in Doha will bend the rules just like they do in the UAE.