Really stupid Celtic pronunciatian question.

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by hemariva, Sep 11, 2003.

1. hemariva

hemariva New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Missouri
    Is it Celtic with a 'K' sound or Celtic with a 'C' sound. Someone I was talking to kept pronouncing it with the 'C' sound the other day, and I thought it was the other way. But I've never heard it mentioned on TV or anything because I don't watch much soccer on TV, and even then I usually turn the sound off.

Sorry for such an ignorant question, but.....

2. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    The soccer team name is pronounced "Seltic" whereas the culture, way of life, heritage of Ireland, Scotland and sometimes Wales (depends who you ask) is pronounced Keltic.

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    this is a bit off the subject but did you know the Celtic people were among the settlers of northwestern Spain (Galicia)? There are people they're who play bag pipes and wear kilts and by the way they've got a team called Celta de Vigo.

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well feel free to rip me apart on this one, but I was told it was the other way around. That the celts came from northern spain and settled the west coast of britain.

As for the welsh being sort of Celtic umm actually the welsh and the Irish are viewed as celtic. The reason Celtic football team is there is because of the IRISH Imigrants. The scottish culture is almost more Scandanavian.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    my understanding is that the word's origin is from the greek 'keltos', which implies the coordinating pronuciation; but that the latinization of the word - specifically the french derivitive, from which the english pronuciation evolved - was 'celt', with the 's' sound.

in english, you now hear the word pronounced both ways, as both are reflective of accurate derivations - from either greek or french, both regular contributors to english.

the club, of course, is pronounced 'seltic'.

6. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Historically the Celts originated in Central Asia. Renown throughout the ancient world as warriors without match, there is a famouse Classical Greek statue called "Dying Celt" from (if I recall correctly) around 200 B.C.

[​IMG]
    Inevitably they were pushed westward by further tribal migrations out of asia by the Saxons, Vandals, etc, until by the modern era, their remanents could only be found in Northern Spain, Brittany (France), Northern Britain and , of course Ireland.

But that's neither here nor there. Someone, somewhere need to finally tell me WHY it is "keltic" for EVERYTHING except the Boston basketball team and the Glasgow football team. Even Celta Vigo is Kelta Vigo. I want to know goddamit! I can't sleep at night!

7. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Um........no it isnt Cman mate, its "selta vigo"

8. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    *@#*@#*@#*@#*@#!

9. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Oooh! Look at the new profanity filters. :D

10. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Not strictly true. Scottish culture is made up of Celtic, Pictish, Doric, Nordic, and even (gasp) Germanic peoples. Obviously some this has to do with what area of Scotland you're talking about. The Doric and Nordic influence is strongest in the north and the Shetland and Orkney islands, the Celtic/Gaelic influence strongest in the west (incl. Skye, Lewis, etc), the Germanic strongest in the Borders/south, and the Pictish ranged from the west to the north. It's a rather complex mix actually.

As far as how Celtic FC came to be pronounced Seltic, I've been trying to find that out for years. Good luck to you.

11. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Or "thelta vigo" depending on your accent!

12. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    And as 'Only An Excuse' are fond of saying, when Tommy Burns was in charge at Parkhead the name was pronounced "celticfootballclub" ;)