Real Salt Lake Academy blossoming in Arizona

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 8, 2011.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how the loss of Vanney as Academy Director will effect its development.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent question. Especially since Vanney's main partner in recruitment for RSL was Robin Fraser. :(

RSL is supposed to announce their replacements soon. We'll see I guess.

4. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article says RSL was granted the right to have an academy in Arizona.

What does a MLS club need to do to be granted a different area of the country for an academy?

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly sure, but no MLS city on the state and SLC being such a small market I am sure factors in. I read once that Mississippi was Chicago Fire area.

6. Andrew Jackson

May 24, 2010
    Oxford, Miss.
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth. Chicago has an academy in suburban Jackson. Pretty sure that Justin Mapp was a product or vice versa.

7. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire have an affiliate club in Mississippi and New Orleans, however, to be classified as a Home Grown player Chicago must invite a player from said clubs to play for an affiliate club within 75 miles of chicago for at least 1 year before going to college.

A player like U17 striker Kellen Gulley who plays with the Chicago Fire Miss. team would have to spend a year in Chicago (for example) for a year before he hits college to be a Fire HG player.

Fire are working on developing a financially acceptable system that involves paying for living and schooling expenses for kids such as Gulley. Hopefully Fire can get him in for a year after the U17's play

8. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats interesting. I've been wondering about Kellen for quite some time now and wondered if they'd bring him in to be a home grown player or at least an academy player to start off with. Hopefully they can get him in soon enough.

10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once he's out of U17's (since he wasnt with the academy team prior to callup), Fire will have to get him into Chicago ASAP. Would be a shame to miss out on Gulley (strictly from what ive read).

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I hope they don't because of one situation that was family related.
    Right now it's unlikely that youth players will move to another youth academy in any numbers. We just don't have a residential context where players will play then pick another then move for no other reason than soccer. I also hope we realize that some may move for other reasons such as my brother now lives near DC and I can live with him or I have an Uncle's family I can live in Dallas. I'd like to encourage players to get into professional environments that work for them. Only then will we make it easier for them to get professional training. I do understand your point but only if we ever see a time where teams are stealing players. Right now no. I don't want to have a league saying I know you're family is moving from DC to Chicago but you can't join the Fire.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far this has happened twice to RSL. RSL had a great prospect who was from a immigrant family in SLC. When the sponsor of this kid (who happened to be his minister) moved to Denver, the young man followed him and now plays in the Rapids academy. Then this one, where Vanney's nephew leaves RSL to play in the CUSA Academy.

Its getting old and its barely begun. But life happens.

15. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The real salt lake residency is the future. The 1st of its kind in the USA. Hopefully within the next 10 years we will se all Mls acadmies have fully funded residency acadamies down to 10 years old.

16. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    So much Chivas-RSL intermingling.....also found this tidbit interesting.

"The high-profile opportunities will continue for the program, as several members of the RSL-Arizona teams are gearing up to join forces with their RSL-Utah and RSL-Florida brethren for next week’s Generation adidas Cup (formerly the SUM U-17 Cup), taking place at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas, from July 25-31"

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually he wants to do both. ;)

18. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member