Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Spain' started by kahn1, Aug 31, 2002.

1. kahn1

kahn1 New Member

Aug 16, 2002
    phoenix
    Who is going to beat Real this year? I dont see anyone in Liga and I dont think anyone in the CL can hang either.

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    With the defense they have? They'll be a lot of teams who are going to beat Real Madrid this season. Scoring goals wasn't their problem.

3. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    But they have improved a lot in the midfield with Cambiasso, and if you control the midfield you suffer less chances. Other years the problem was not just the defence, but stupid ball loses.

4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    They didn't have the best of league seasons last year, so they will have to improve on that. In terms of player-player comparison they stand alone, but a team is exactly that - a team.
    In the Champions League don't forget that Bayern Munich have improved considerably, and I would love to see a team with two proper wingers give them a go (an on form Arsenal, with Pires and Ljunberg back, would certainly trouble them), and just see how Roberto Carlos and Salgado cope with pressure down the flanks.
    If I was a betting man, I wouldn't look any further than Madrid, but games are won on the pitch not on paper.

5. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no surprise that Madrid is the runaway favorite to win the CL again, but...

Don't underestimate that other teams give supreme effort when they face Madrid.

And don't forget that injuries happen, especially to a team that plays in three competitions.

Cliche, but it's 11 v 11, and anything can happen.

As per the defense, it's not as bad as perceived. Sure, it seems to be the weak spot on the team, but that's in comparison to the quality of the midfield and attack. Any other team in Primera would take that back four in a heartbeat.

I'd actually put money on them to win at least one of the competitions, but the minimal payout isnt worth it. :)

6. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The problem with the defense is that both Roberto Carlos and Salgado are very offensive wingbacks (I don't considere the brazilian a defender, anyway). I think del Bosque should start testing the younger guys (Pavón, and Ruben) instead of overloading old Hierro.

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed about Pavon. He'll be seeing copious minutes this season.

Ruben will see his share of time as well.

Bottom line is, the defense isn't as bad as perceived.