REAL MADRID vs CELTA VIGO | La Liga Jornada 24 | 16.02.20 | 21:00 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Feb 15, 2020.

1. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    The team doesn't know how to play with a CF in the box, we don't play like that and I don't see how Jovic would come in and have an immediate impact given how we play. Jovic has looked miserable at times and that is on him but it's not all on him.

And to your point about having an immediate impact, we've gone hundreds of minutes with Benzema doing little many times in his career so I'm not ready to buy into the idea that a player needs to have an immediate impact. never mind the questions it raises with Bale.

Digital and natenate101 repped this.
  2. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    To be honest i haven't seen Jovic make many runs into the box except in situations where we moved the ball to wings and are about to cross, thats one of the thing i found very disappointing about him, i expected that he would be making runs behind the defenders but so far he's been coming back pretty deep like Benzema.

Lyra repped this.
  3. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I think he looks very uncomfortable, to me it looks like he's being asked to play in a way that is very new to him and he's not doing very well with it. But again it's also clear the squad has no idea how to play with him either.

Digital repped this.
  4. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    If I'm not mistaken we had 0 shots on goal in the 1st half.

5. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Which doesn't mean we didn't dominate..

6. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    That’s fair.

temesgen repped this.
  7. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Ok, Pep. lol.

Lyra repped this.
  8. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    So if we didn't dominate, did they dominate?

Do you even know what the word means?

9. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    #584 hector_br, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    What's even the point of dominating a game and not being able to shoot? I'll go with my opinion that we struggled a lot. Couldn't shoot, crosses were all cleared by their defense, their counter-attacks were dangerous. Sure we passed the ball from side to side in midfield for long stretches but unfortunately, that doesn't win games.

10. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I think you're both raising important points. The lack of shots and excessive crossing was poor but we recycled possession fairly comfortably. There were a couple times in first half when I thought, they are going to score in transition and also perhaps we should have played a little more open and less conservative so we could catch them out. I think it's entirely possible to snuff all the life out the game to a point where it's two lines of defense bunkering and nearly impossible to score for a team like ours that doesn't have line breaking dribbling from a finisher or close quick one two passing in tight spaces to get through.

hector_br repped this.
  11. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    We did shoot, a couple of those shots were inches away from going in, Casemiro’s strike for example, just because the shot wasn’t target doesn’t mean we didn’t shoot.
    There were many half chances that didn’t end up being goals only thanks to some very good last ditch defensive efforts by Celta.

12. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We lost because we played the game like it was a guaranteed win. The players started the match clearly not up for it and once Celta scored their confidence grew and they gave everything into bunkering down and defending their lead.

We stepped it up and dominated up until we took the lead, then we switched back into cruise control and we started playing like the game was over. We had several attacks where players were more interested in showboating/having fun than just killing the game off.

I understand without Varane's errors we would have still won, but had we had our head in the game they wouldn't have had the chances to create those varane errors.

Doni, natenate101, Shay Z and 3 others repped this.
  13. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Benzema burying one of his chances would win us the game.

MaxY repped this.
  14. 2Magia2

2Magia2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 17, 2018
    It has happened on quite a few occasions this season. Remember our second game of the season against Valladolid. We were leading 1-0 and we had Casemiro Lucas high fiving n all just for winning a free kick in the 85th min. 88th min Valladolid scores and 2 points dropped.

15. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Yeah he was part of the French connection that lost us those points.

However we should expect to score two goals against one of the worst teams in La Liga and win.

That is why Varane is the main culprit.

Even if we scored three, it felt Varane would find a way to give them a third as well.

Lyra repped this.
  16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We need to get back to what this team has mostly been about since I began following, and that is scoring goals, I love that we’ve been very strong defensively for most of the season, but I despair that the team struggles to score,

a good balance would be nice, but as I have mentioned before the Madrid that I know was mostly built on the ability to outscore opponents no matter what, not so much on the solidity of defense, I am enjoying the solidity but, the bluntness upfront needs to be remedied somehow.

17. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    That’s not a matter of system though, we play well currently, it’s a matter of personnel, we just don’t have goal scorers on our roster currently.

The great thing about this squad is when we finally add a goal scoring machine or two this team would have no weaknesses.

Digital and AriGold repped this.
  18. Realist

Realist Member

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2019
    We actually have a typical number 9 who is a scorer (Jović) but we don't use him properly or the system in which he plays doesn't suit him. We should've played with Benzema and Jovic both starting in the 41212 diamond formation with Isco behind them.

Lyra repped this.
  19. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    4-3-3 is shite. Our best formation is 4-4-2.

Lyra repped this.
  20. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well I don’t know about “ no weaknesses” but certainly far far fewer, much better balanced, this is what I am hoping for as well

Drouchk repped this.