Real Madrid Tracking Three Americans?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Which Barrett are you referring to? The aging outside defender who didn't cut it in Denmark or the streaky MLS-journeyman-in-the-making forward in Chicago or someone else?

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's carbonite dammit, not concrete. Jeez dont you know anything?

EDIT: sorry someone beat me to it. :D

3. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldnt surprise me if it wasnt either of those two at all, or if the players in question weren't even US players.

god the words "real" and "madrid" always bring out the yahoos.

4. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Martinez! He looked very good against Russia. However, these players have a very long way to go before they're playing for big clubs. You're offering a pretty big judgement after watching a few youth friendlies. I'm excited about these kids too, but I won't start buying into this hype until they show well at the U-17 World Cup. After all they are just kids. They have good potential, let's hope they can fulfill it.

5. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to be referring to USA and not North and South America. In spanish, North and South America collectively are referred to as "las americas". Given that Jozy is mentioned specifically, it is safe to assume which america they're referring to in this case. Also, it would not be news to say that they are combing South America, which is something I would imagine they do routinely.

6. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    No.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    where would Guzan play? right bench?

8. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left waterboy?

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    3rd equipment manager?

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I know you're being funny but this off season Celtic, Arsenal, and Werder Bremen have enquired about him. It's not silly to think Real Madrid would at least check him out.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Chad (not Wayne) Barrett was tracked by Real right after the U-20's in 2005.

As to Chad's potential, the guy has amazing speed.

Real could sign him, then loan him to Anderlecht or Heerenveen for a couple of years and see if he can develop there.

If you're going to take a flyer on someone, you may as well do it on someone with the upside. He may cost them $500K/Y for 2-3 years. To a club like Real, it's nothing.

Look at Arsenal, Wenger keeps signing all these young kids and most of them will not be of Arsenal quality. However, if they don't cut it at that level, he can always sell them off, as he did with Sebastian Larsson (sold to Birmingham), Jeremy Aliadiere ('Boro) or Pihilip Senderos (will be sold after this season). But when a long shot like Adebayor - who was no longer even a part of regular rotation at Monaco at the time of the his acquisition, partially due to his personal behavior - becomes a superstar, he is suddenly worth tens of millions.

So, you're playing the odds and that means getting a lot of young talents and hoping that a few of them will come through at the end.

12. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea but he might be able to get some time at those clubs. Artur Boruc is no Iker Casillas.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    unlike those other clubs... Madrid have a world class keeper already there... who is a legend for Madrid at 25... possibly the best keeper in the world... tho Madrid may be interested... I'd rather not see him there because he wouldn't play

14. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the best keeper in the world can suffer an injury.

Maybe RMCF is not satisfied with their current backup.

Dudek has been less than stellar in his CdR appearances.

Hence my speculation.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    think about this for a second... just think.. this is not a field player where they can sit on the bench but look good in short spots when they come in... this is a goalkeeper... Our potential #1!!! If Howard were to get injured, would u want a guy that hasnt had many games playing? do you really want him sitting on the bench and watching Iker Casilias win matches for Madrid? I know I dont... Id rather have him starting than sitting on the bench... I think he can start in Europe... so lets see him do that instead of watching Iker the legend...

and lets say Iker gets injured... do u think Guzan is going to come in and take Iker's spot? Really?

Guzan is at an age where he needs to play...

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Chad has 0 potential. He is almost 23.

He has never shown great goalscoring potential.

US U-18s:
    18 starts 3 goals 5 assists
    2005 WYC:
    3 starts 1 goal
    MLS:
    66 games 38 starts 13 goals 7 assists

The guys isn't even a lock to start on our U-23 team let alone our full USMNT.

Why in gods name would Real Madrid waste time with him.

He wouldn't even start at Anderlecht or Heerenveen.

I understand and somewhat agree with hype with Adu, Altidore, etc. but the madness has to stop somewhere.

17. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Josmer Altidore, Robbie Rogers , Maibe Seitz ???

18. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What on earth are you whining about? Got PMS?

Where did I make any suggestion that Guzan should actually sign for Real Madrid?

I'm just speculating on what Real Madrid's short to long term needs might be, and who in the US setup might fill those needs.

All I said was Guzan > Dudek.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There's a certain much maligned 23-year old who has just signed for Fulham.

And when that 23 year old was 22, he had even fewer goals than this 22-year old.

Just sayin'.

20. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    even if casillas wasn't absolutely amazing, any he would reallyl have to really stink for them to drop him. management/fans of teams in spain cherish having there own as a staple in the lineup. casillas and raul are gods in madrid, and raul's aging means that casillas is all the more precious...

21. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I normally don't mind your posts but did you seriously just pretty much compare Fulham to Real Madrid?

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and all I have ever said was that Guzan shouldnt consider going there... re-read my post prior to the last one... I dont care what Real Madrid wants... I care about what is best for the USMNT, and what I think is best for Guzan's career... thank u

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If I had to guess, I would think that -- perhaps beyond Altidore -- Madrid would be looking at unsigned amateur players, probably from the U17 or other YNT programs. I will add that I've been told that a recent U15 pool player is there now, but I've not been able to confirm such a move.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, when Spanish-speakers refer to America, they mean both North and South America. Mountain... molehill.

25. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    No, he doesn't. He has above-average speed, but nothing close to other young American forwards like Johnson, Findley or Davies.
    When that 23-year-old was 22, he had 10 goals for the national team and had played in a World Cup. Barrett has never even been called into a senior national team camp.

If there are any teams still interested in Barrett, they are probably of the middling Scandinavian variety. As a Fire fan, I really hope he will prove me wrong, but I just don't think it's going to happen.