Real Madrid to Throw Out First Pitch @ Cubs Game Friday!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MLSinHD, Jul 14, 2005.

1. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    so marca said it would be raul throwing out the first pitch. let's hope he practiced a little. ;)

hey lisabrasil - are you a baseball fan? i was wondering if you follow the cubs or white sox. i'm not a baseball fan in particular but i used to live 4 blocks from wrigley and it's a great place to see a game - some call it the best bar in chicago. :p

i have a vague memory of seeing the new york cosmos against the chicago sting at wrigley many years ago. i was too young to really remember so i'm not even sure if i'm making that up. does anyone recall if the sting ever played games at wrigley?

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go Pirates!

3. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    The Trib said that all three captains would be throwing out ceremonial pitches. I hope they did, too. :)
    It definitely lives up to the title. I rep for the South Side and am loyal to my White Sox.
    While I wasn't following football back in the day, I've read somewhere that the Sting played important games (semis, finals?) at Wrigley. I'm sure someone on the Fire board could answer the question better.

4. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sting did play at Wrigley. Photos have been posted on the board in the past.

You weren't hallucinating. ;)

5. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the attached photo on this post.

6. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Con los Cachorritos de Chicago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicago Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano, left, teaches Real Madrid soccer players, from left to right, Roberto Carlos, Raul and Guti how to throw a baseball before they throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the start of the Chicago Cubs baseball game with the Pittsburgh Pirates at Wrigley Field Friday, July 15, 2005 in Chicago. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

7. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    From the Play-by-Play guy on ChicagoSports.com:

Real Madrid captains Raul, Roberto Carlos and Guti threw out the first pitch today ahead of their Sunday match against Chivas at Soldier Field. Much to the dismay of the Wrigley Field Cubbie Honeys, no David Beckham.

Anyway, Roberto Carlos' sick free kick against France in 1997 for my money bests Beckham's similar and more famous bend against Greece. If you don't know what I'm talking about, your loss.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...bicle,1,4415359.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

8. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone see the pitch? Did he make it over the plate?

¡Hala Madrid!

9. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    from the Fire board -

10. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    thanks Sinko - i wanted to rep you for that but 'i must spread some rep around' etc.

11. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    Just a note, I don't know if this still holds now that Glazer has bought MU, but MU and the Yankees have a partnership that's supposed to be good business. Who knows: Real Madrid - Chicago Cubs? They seem to be getting along pretty well...

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i doubt it, everybody that comes through chicago does something at wrigley field, other than that the 2 teams have nothing in common. ManU and Yankees share the YES Network since they view themselves as the largest/most famous clubs in their respective sports. Neither Real nor Chicago would get anything out of a partnership....Nice idea though, I would love my 2 favorite teams partnerin up

13. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im surprised it was just Raul? Not Beckham that surprised me. :confused:

14. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    it sounds like madrid better than manchester, i mean the club not the city ...well off course the city is better also.

15. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you forgot who the captain is? :confused:

16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    becks wanted to stay out of the spotlight thats all

17. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    are you kidding me ? he wants to make his mark here in america, the only market he hasn't been able to conquer.

18. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    That'll be the day

19. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ha sorry i should have added a smiley to show my sarcasm...becks is gonna be in the mls la galaxy prolly around age 34 anyways, he's gonna media blitz LA probably...and about the cubs game, i think they didn't bring becks due to security issues...i mean your typical wrigley fan was prolly wondering who raul was...while if it was becks security would need to be upped alot

20. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I read something in AS or El Mundo saying that all 24 players were supposed to be at the Cubs game. According to the article, that was nixed due to security concerns. My guess is that most players preferred to rest (same thing happended last year in Asia where a number of players asked not to be involved in everys single event). Thus, the decision was made to send the three captains.

Hala Madrid