Real how to become a referee thread

Discussion in 'Referee' started by jmeissen0, Aug 5, 2002.

1. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm...interesting. i've hadn't heard this (about having to be 21 to do U19). BigSoccer is very informative . (i've only been reffing a year)

y would this be neccessary if the person can handle the players?

2. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    real how to become a referee thread

Like I said earlier, at least in North Carolina, the officials are supposed to be at least 2 years older than the players.

3. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    This is NOT true (although a state might beleive that they can enforce it). The minimum age for upgrade to 7 is 17. The assessement must be a U-19 or higher. No mention at all about requireing the 7 candidate to be at 19 years of age to officiate a U-19.

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Jim, I am coming late to this thread...as I did to reffing, but here's some advice.

--Go get your 8 if you haven't already.

--Know the rules...I mean REALLY know them. Not when you take the test -- just pass there. But as you progress, REALLY know them, know the language, be able to recite them, be able to state "Law 7 says...." Before every season begins, I re-read the laws of the game, and the Advice memorandums.

--Know the rules of your league where you ref. Those rules should be on the game cards, but should be on the league web sites. This includes, time for periods, substitution rules, etc.

--Dowload and reveiw all of the referree training materials at the USSF site...see

http://www.ussoccer.com/referees/default.sps?iType=220&icustompageid=126

In fact, ALL serious soccer fans should review all of this publicly available material.

--Progress in four stages. You can do this is the space of one or two years.

First stage is to center rec games or low level travel games and lining such games. Do a half dozen of those.

Then second stage, move up to the centering the highest level YOUNGEST players -- say U10 and below. Premier level, classic level stuff. At the same time, start lining premier level games at U15 and below.

Third stage, start centering high level travel games, say at u15 and below, and lining the older ages, say u19 and below.

Fourth stage, you're ready to center U19 games, and HS level.

--Since you have ambitions to progress far, keep records of all your games. There's a form you get to do this -- you will need to have this record for upgrades.

--Some things to keep in mind when you center.

*You will get yelled at. If you mind getting yelled at, don't ref. In many way, parents of young rec kids can be the worst.

* Ignore all spectators who yell at you. My rule is that that the US constitution applies outside the touch lines and outside the technical area, and anyone can say whatever they want, more or less. Inside the touch lines and the technical areas I AM THE KEEPER of LAW! No one has jurisdiction over me.

* Make your calls with authority, even if two seconds later, you know it was wrong. Keep the game moving, let the players play.

* You're there not just to apply the rules, but exercise judgment. I centered a U10 premier match the other day, and probably half the throw-ins were done incorrectly. How many bad ones did I call? Not one. Why? First, because none of them were horribly wrong, and because they're young, and they will learn how to do it correctly in the next couple of years. Better that the game flow and the kids play. At U14, however, if I see an incorrect throw in, the whistle blows. They should know how to do it by then--when, of course, it is much less frequent.

* Remember that your calls rarely effect the outcomes of games, especially at the youth level. It's the players who win and lose the game.

* At the youth level, it is all about development. Especially with the younger kids, I always take the time after every game to talk to one or two kids about what happened in the game, and let them know why things happened the way they did...when a shoulder charge is correct or not, why the offside was called or not.

Sometimes I will single out a vocal parent and, if my instincts tell me it will be helpful, and not cause confrontation, after the game I will go over and explain why I did what I did. Once, I was lining a U16 premier game, the parents side, and a player right along my touch line was going to goal with a defender grabbing and pulling. Both the center and I let it go. A parent was yelling "foul, foul, foul!!!" But we played advantage, the kid escaped, got inside the area, and let off a wicked shot that hit the crossbar.

Afterwards I went up to the parent and said, "Yes, that play was a foul, but what would you rather have? A free kick that's 30 yards away, or a very dangerous shot inside the area, where you almost scored? The kid wasn't being hurt. Sometimes it's better to let them play." Take advantage (no pun intended) of that teaching moment.

Finally, two things. First, you should know in your heart that when you go out there to ref, that the players and spectators are damn lucky to get YOU!! You know your stuff, and you know you will do a great job -- not a perfect job, but a great job.

Second, enjoy the reffing experience. As the former state director once told me, "it's the best seat in the house." I wish I had started sooner -- at my age my limit is U14 classic boys -- and I can just do one of those a day -- and lining U19 games (again, one of those per day is my limit). But if you start relatively young, and work hard, you can go far. Few may appreciate how good you are it, but if I am watching you, know that I will.

danielh repped this.
  5. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl,

Great comments about the stages. I hadn't thought about them quite in those terms, but that's more or less what I did too. Since I became a referee as an adult (age 35), I had guys wanting me to become a high school referee right away.

I put that off a couple years and I think it was one of the best decisions I made regarding refereeing.

Make sure you are confident in the job you're doing at one stage before you move to the next. For some guys, one season at a stage is plenty before moving to the next. For other guys, they may stay at one stage for a year or two gaining experience and complete confidence in themselves before they're ready to move on.

The key thing I've told some referees is don't let anyone (assignors who are desparate for bodies) pressure you into taking a game you're not ready for. If you don't feel comfortable doing the game, you won't go into it with confidence and you won't be up to the challenge. You'll set yourself up to fail.

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Advice, Karl. One additional recommendation: try to find a mentor, someone you admire, and think does the job well. Offer to line for them, and ask questions when you don't understand. Look for opportunities to be assessed.

7. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Accept the fact that you are going to fail. I havent called a perfect game yet......Havent seen one either.
    The only way you are going to learn is to continuously challenge yourslef to higher levels. You will never get to the level needed to do middles if you only work as an assistant. You will never be a good U18 select referee if you only work U12s...Dont sell yourself short. Jump in with both feet and accept that while you will initialy make mistakes they will get smaller and more inocuous.

8. JulianC

JulianC New Member

New Refs

Hi guys.... from over the pond.
    If any of you want any help with passing your Ref exams or with advice on what it takes to do the job, please use the information on my Referees' Training site http://www.corshamref.net from good old England.
    You may find it useful.
    Good luck to all of you who take up Refereeing.
    Regards
    JulanC

9. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grey,

There's a difference between what you are saying and what I was saying about setting yourself up to fail. My point was to not take games that are way outside of your level of experience and expertise. If a new or young referee takes a game beyond their abilities and the game goes miserably, then they may incorrectly decide that they must not have what it takes -- and quit.

I'm not talking about making a couple mistakes as we all do. I'm talking about losing control of a game because you're aren't used to dealing with the level in which you've put yourself.

I know from experience a guy who got his referee license the year after I got mine. He started refereeing high school games that fall. He was generally considered to be a terrible referee -- quite inconsistent, not strong and confident in the calls he made. He quit refereeing after 3 years (just when I was STARTING to take high school games or U17 & above games in USSF).

If he had taken his time learning how to properly referee at U12 and then at U14 and worked out his mistakes, misperceptions, etc. at the younger age groups instead of in an environment where he was going to be crucified for his mistakes, perhaps we'd still have him as a referee and he'd be doing a good job.

10. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Re: New Refs

Or better yet, try http://www.asktheref.com fro the US interpretations. Nothing against Julian but if your taking a test here in the states you had better understand what they are looking for in the US and not elsewhere.

11. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Kev
    I thought I was expounding on something you said not necessarily dissagreeing at all. Although I only did 2 youth games with a total game count over 400 the first 4 years I refereed I understand that some might think it is necessary to work the lower levels for awhile.
    I would suggest that instead it is better to work as an Assistant in adult competitions with as many advanced referees in the center as you can and ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
    You simply do not learn how to run an adult game by doing U12s. It doesnt matter if you have 5 or 500 U12 games under you belt, Mens open or higher is a whole different animal that takes different techniques that you only learn on the job.
    I see this all of the time in my current neck of the woods. Guys with 10 years of experience at the lower levels of youth think that thier longevity in the U14 and under range means that they will somehow know how to handle a U19 or higher. They dont. If you try and call a higher level game like a youth game you WILL have a bad experience.
    Spend the minimal time you can at the lower lower levels until you are initimate with Law 12 (this shouldnt take 3 years if your gamecount is reasonable).........Then challenge yourself to advance as soon as possible so that you can learn the game at the higher levels. Unless you dont want to go to the higher level games, there is nothing wrong with that either.

12. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I think someone with a strong knowledge of the game, and good physical conditioning, can quickly -- say, within 6 months or so or getting a badge -- assist at a high level older game, say u17 and above.

Two weeks after I got my badge, I was lining some high level U19 games. I did OK, but I wish I had had a few months more experience.

However, I would urge anyone who starts referring to spend SOME time centering high level youth games before they move to centering U17 and above.

Let me tell you, a premier level U14 boys game can be awfully challenging. I did one not too long ago with two State Cup semi-finalists, and it was not easy. You think only adults and coaches of adults know the tricks and apply gamesmanship?? Think again.

But Grey's advice to line older games and then observe and ask questions is good advice. And of course, you can't run an adult game as you would a youth game, obviously. But you need to have the EXPERIENCE of officiating at those games -- as an Assistant -- coupled with SOME experience centering, before you can take the field at, say, U19 or Men's.

13. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl,

I think you hit it on the head -- "someone with strong knowledge of the game...".

That wasn't me. I didn't grow up playing the game at all. And when I had became a referee, for the most part, I'd only even seen youth games -- below U14. I had never seen a high school or U17+ premier level game. The only higher level game I had seen was a couple Notre Dame women's games.

So I definitely would not have been prepared to even assist on a U19 game that first year. I had a LOT of learning to do. For me, it was all about COMFORT LEVEL -- and I felt comfortable (and confident) progressing slowly.

14. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Kev I can almost bet that we will work together in the next two years as I intend to head down state for the state cup and adult competition which isnt available up north.......I'll bet you would be just fine at the higher levels!

15. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What's the fun in being a referee these days?

Addicted to danger?

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quasi-sarcasm] I get to stare down @$$hole coaches and parents three times my age. That's fun. [/quasi-sarcasm]

Prof

17. HoosRef

HoosRef New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    SE Virginia
    And then say stuff like, "I'm carrying the cards and you're not. I'll ref, you coach" in the coldest voice possible to a coach. I love putting coaches at different levels in their place, especially when they see that I'm 21 and doing a HS center. I love being right there on a defender and striker going at the corner flag, making the call and having them both turn around and seeing the ref has made the end-to-end run with them and makes the proper call.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Young Referee Development Academy here in Virginia and recieved top flight instruction from Nat'l level assessors and referees. I'd recommend young referees find and attend some sort of clinic similar to this to gain the degree of professionalism that some of the senior folks have.

My biggest piece of advice to new referees: Beware of assignors at all levels. They are being paid to do what they do, nearly as much as you are to do what you do. Seek to find an honest and consistent assignor who will gradually bring you along. Some are great, some seek bodies to cover games. Regarding tournaments or working leagues, only take the number of games that permits you to give the same quality of refereeing to the first two and last two teams. It could be four games in one day or it could be two.

18. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    I just want you fellow Ref's know what my situation is up here in Alaska. I started Reffing when I was 12 and spent one year centering u-10 and u-12 rec games while lining up to u-16. After that I stopped doing rec and just worked youth competitive and adult leagues and later when I was 14 I started lining High school. Now at 17 I just got my grade 7 and never center or line anything below u-16. But what sucks is that the level of play here is kinda low (if any of the youth players have ever played an Alaska at Regionals or USA cup, you know what I'm talking about). To become anything past a grade 6 here you must move outside (btw. outside means lower 48) and start a whole new reputation somewhere else and work your way up. We have some training from people who come up here for our State Cup but we have no residents that are Nationals or better and so our level of skill kinda suffers. I do travel outside some (I've gone to ref at the Boy's ODP Region 4 camp, a great learning experience, and will be traveling to regionals). Now I plan on moving to Washington in the fall to start College and start a new chapter in my reffing career. Don't take your location for granted

19. HoosRef

HoosRef New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    SE Virginia
    Refereeing in college

Hey man, I moved 120 miles south and had to rebuild my reputation. I will tell you that if you can find an assignor that you like and will help you get the game count, college is a great time to referee. You can work 2 days a week and make better money in less time than your buddies in restaurants or anywhere else. But you don't do it for the money do you?

It requires a great deal of planning to ensure that you have games when you commute back and forth to school and home. Tell your home assignor in January and again in April that you are returning home and looking for games to officiate. It will require giving up some weekends to referee. Not having a car will make life miserable, but many older referees, I've found, will go out of their way to help a young comrade. But you'll have money for the ladies. And chicks dig the bumblebee look here in the south; the southern belles seem to like any man in uniform, even in shorts, knee socks and brilliant yellow.

Advice for what it's worth: when starting out, keep your yap shut. I didn't and it cost me assignments when I moved. If the rates are higher in Washington, be happy and move on. They may not be. I get paid less at school, but it's still work and I love refereeing anyway. Check and see if the State Assoc. has a young referee mentorship program. Here in Virginia, we are blessed to have a whole academy dedicated to young referees. Make sure you're game fit, especially if you get a trial assignments. You never know who you'll be working with. Make sure you're at the pitch at least 40 minutes before the match. Most importantly: have a blast. College is the best 3/4/5/6 years of your life. The first 3 years of my college have flown by. Enjoy every minute of it.

Hoos

20. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Interesting point here. Apart from local junior rules why would the US be interpreting the LOTG different to the UK? I am not saying that the US should or shouldn't but the IRB should ensure that all countries interpret the LOTG the same way to keep consistentcy in refs from different countries/confederations.

Crowdie.

21. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    real how to become a referee thread

A bit naive to say that the game is played and called the same world over. Just compare and contrast South American football with european. Or the EPL from the Spanish League.....signifigantly different.

22. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The LOTG are the same the world over. The difference appears to be different condeferation's interpretations on the LOTG. On the European mainland it seems acceptable for players to bunch around a referee and try to intimidate him, for example, while down here players wouldn't consider it as it is deemed unacceptable and both the referee and the associations would reprimand the player.

Just a thought.

Crowdie.

23. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    The interpretation of the rules is virtually the same, the application is not. Dangerous play is dangerous play, shoving is shoving, a late tackle is a late tackle. What is actually called and what is trifling varies significantly depending on culture though. The same could be said for the various levels of skill in soccer -- the interpretations of the laws are exactly the same, you just apply them differently based on how the players want the game called (or need it to be called in the case of youth).

24. Grizzlierbear

Grizzlierbear New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    canada no it is not
    laws are universal a bit of a philosophy well meant

Good points Statesman as the progress of each match at every level is a construction job under construction with different trades at work you need to manage what is laid out before you. Telling plumbers how to be electricians is simply not a good idea. And from journeymen to master carpenters the experiance in building these matches could be a considerable challange.

Laws are universal in scope and allow for considerable deliberation and interpretation. What they do not allow for is self doubt. In any match the ability for players, fans, coaches or parents to shake the resolve of the referee affect how he or she will apply those laws.

Rarely a strict MUST, the laws are guidelines for MIGHT and COULD. In the instances of elite play there is such a vast divergence of practical application when 60,000 + fans, international TV and the weight of scrutiny versus a recreational in the midwest on a tuesday afternoon at the local pitch. Consequences weigh heavily on those at the top but so to at the local level where the failure to protect those volunteers who are the bulk of the force exile themselves away from the needless abuse.

How to explain the sense of accomplishment in a well run match that all share in its nature? In freely giving advice we know that as in all things opinions even when well intentioned do not fit every need?
    There are many saliant points contained within this thread. The proceedures we need to follow or the path most likely to take you where you wish to go.

If you wish to be a referee or you wish to just referee there is a difference. Anyone can memorise the laws and volunteer to step out on to the pitch. Respect is a double edged sword you can not demand it it must be earned. However on equal terms self respect can never be taken it must be given up. Any who step in a the middle or patrol the touchlines IF they take what they do to MEAN something they are referees. It goes by their efforts and by their comittment and by the nature of why they continue within the game.

To be tested in the waters one must learn to swim and as the distance gets longer the better swimmer you need to be. Those that meerly wet their feet and start bailing from the boat are never there long enough to be a referee but in title only. And whether you remain at the shallow end or the deep end of the pool. Your comfort level, talent and desire will keep you afloat at whatever level that might be. IF you truly get the satisfaction from a match where its nature gives credance to the spirit and soul of the game you will be a referee and no one will need to tell you although I can almost guarantee they will. ;o)

Those that aspire to the elite level are driven to reach for what some only dream. Many seek ongoing mentoring and assessment but the quick reversal of opinion should one do the unthinkable or make a mistake for all to see or in the case of some a percieved mistake that never was. How those ever respectfull yet waiting colleagues who feel the need to step up and take their rightful place. Congratulations are in order and happy we are for them, but someone must move aside.

Yes ego is involved, as is conviction and courage and the time one wishes to spend pursuing something that might never happen. Ask those who sacrifice to the prestige. Time away from Family, the creative work management to leave and go where you need to? Your fate hinging on having the right people see you, judge you and not find you wanting.

In the end be it joy or sorrow, look at me or a priviledge, the game will find you out and soon you will be where you are.

25. ralph shelley

ralph shelley New Member

Jun 1, 2003
    huntington
    reffing

Very true. If you want to be a good ref, you need
    to constantly try to improve by watching games
    and studying. thankfully there are great web sites that provide guidance. But you have to have poise
    and the ability to make decisions on the fly if you
    want to be a respected ref. Fast paced games
    and low quality games provide unique challenges.
    So you have to be on your toes because crazy things can happen and you do not want to be
    caught flatfooted with some types of coaches and fans. But if your thick skinned and a former player
    it does provide excitement. For young people its
    great training. For adults its a nice escape and a
    great workout.