Real Fan Club!!!

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by JefeToro, Nov 22, 2004.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I count my blessing every day that...

1. I live in the era of MLS.

2. That MLS has a team in Dallas.

It is a joy and blessing to have both things.
    That is all that matters in my book.

Winning is a bonus, not a requirement of my love of the beautiful game.

2. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This man is my hero.

3. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    You know Theo, there's hope for us all. You made me laugh out loud.

As for the instigation of this obnoxious thread, I don't have to justify myself to anyone.

Comparing a soccer club in DFW to anyone other than Columbus, KC, and Denver is just plain stupid.

Compared to similar cities, I hold the Inferno and FC Dallas in high regard. The rest of the cities are fundamentally different. That was a barrier to trying to grow a fan group for a fledgling soccer league franchise. The cities are just different and you cannot get around that.

As for Argentina and the rest of South America, go fly a kite. While you're flying it, try to think of all the ways that the United States and every country in South America are different. Start with the median and average age of the entire population.

Finally, find another soccer club outside MLS that has given as LITTLE to the Inferno as the Burn/FCD has in 9 years, and I'll buy you a beer at the next FCD soccer game. Because frankly the team has GIVEN the Inferno SQUAT that was not pocket change or in their best interests anyway. If Inferno members were given even A REASONABLE DISCOUNT ON ANYTHING, it would be easy to double membership. Funny how FCD turned us down flat on that.

As for everything I've done and Jefe and everyone else who's been in the Inferno...drop Andy Swift an email and he'll tell you.

Signed
    Viking
    Former President of the Inferno

4. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd...I joined the Inferno just after LEAVING the JW's...

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Beavis voice] He said infect.

6. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As many and as often as possible, my brother. :)

If you want motivation, pull out Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, pick out "Spreading the Disease," put the volume on 11 and hit play.

7. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Yes that, however, it would be really really nice if they "played the beautiful game". :)

8. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I have. Well sort of. My family and I generally attempted to sit as close to the ruckus as possible. Some of you guys were nice enought to let my little ones bang on your drums. The night that Suarez was redcarded for an invented hand ball, we were shouting with you guys. The night that Jolley lost it and tried to jump into the stands, we too were shouting at him. We were even at South Lake for the Dema Bowl shouting nasty things at him. Whenever we have attended, (less and less as of late), it has been within a row or two of you guys. My son has learned many fine songs from sitting near you guys.

Let me also say, that of the many things wrong about the Dallas Whatever the Hell They Call Themselves, you cannot say anything wrong about the Inferno. They are about the only excitement provided on many nights. Larger numbers would be nice. However, given the state of affairs w/ the team, I think that it is damn lucky to have the level and number of participants in your group.

It is my nature to be a bit reserved. I will be around again. (A hell of a lot less with the hour and a half drive to Frisco). I will stop by, but don't expect me to be wearing a sign that says, "I am Theodore".

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

where do you live?

10. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The original poster on this thread really didn't need responding too but now that the topic has been raised...
    We will be holding some sort of Inferno AGM / party in January (best to get all these holidays out the way first). There we will take ideas & inputs from anyone on any topic & figure out who wants to do what.

We have a lot of really creative people so I'm hopeful we can do great things this year. It will take effort on our part though. If we sit back & just observe how FC Dallas does in getting people to the stadium then we ultimately will pay the price. I'm not saying we shouldn't be critical of things they do that we don't agree with. Nor am I suggesting that we become marketing slaves for them.
    However when it comes down to it if we find more people to come stand with us then we will have a better atmosphere - end of story.

I really think that if we dedicate ourselves to getting enough of the right people to stand with us in our ULHOWA opener then we will be set for the season.

11. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    In FW ...the so called "town of the cow"

12. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    What's wrong with the Inferno? Why not just try to grow it? What's your point about a "real" fan club?

New team, new stadium, new name, new new new bla bla bla. Management should focus less on trumping the new bla bla bla over and over and over (it really is starting to get old) and start focusing more on producing some real results instead.

Sign up our two star allocations and let's go kick some arse in '05! And leave the Inferno alone.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    *steps back and thinks*

I think this JefeToro guy got his point across, the guys only got 2 posts, this one was to get the Inferno to start thinking about expanding. hmmmm

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Theo was reaching but that does make one wonder if perhaps he was a management agent provocateur. If so is this the opening salvo for their own "fan club"?

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that make sense that the FO would take it from that particular SC position?

I think that unlikely.

If the FO were to try something like an "official" fan club, it would be more like Club Quake in SJ - more of a booster club than the South American version of SCs.

And while I have had my fears in the past, (probably paranoid ones, but you guys know me), I am pretty confident at this point that the FO isn't going to try something like that.

But - bottom line - one thing to take from all this is the accurate point that growth is needed. Unifed growth would be better, but it is better to have more participants being active supporters in different places with different agendas than less. I'd say let's encourage as much active support as possible, see where there are places of agreement and enjoy and celebrate them, and accept the places of disagreement.

16. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theo, are you Wade in disguise?

If HSG wanted to get rid fo us, our tickets would not be $9.00 a game. They would charge $15.00 for behind the touchline. Further, I have read over and over how cheap HSG is. It might not cost so much to get rid of us, but it certainly would to start an "official" supporters club. If they are so cheap, they would not do this. And they certainly would never put any many into building stadiums. Way to cheap for that.

Theo, when you see the black helicopters, I am sure your secret decoder ring will tell you what to do.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

17. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sticking up for us 35+ over the hill people

We do support our team and bring the passion of our children as well.....At 35 I sure don't feel like anyone's grandma and probably could drink 1/2 of ya'll under the table!!!!! We "old" people generally have more resources to attemd more soccer games on home and foreign lands than some of you will ever see. So being in the 35+ club ain't so bad ;)

18. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't noted age much...I have brought my 7-y.o. son to the section (although he is a Crapids fan.), and know we have everything from teens to early 50's (at least) there...Hey, we're all fans.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:eek: :eek: You have failed as a father (just kidding); how the holy hell has he become a cRapids fan? Especially at such a young age...

20. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Catching up on threads after this weekend...
    The person who started it did not call you assinine. A newbie started the thread, then you called the question assinine, and then a different person (not the thread starter) called you "Mrs. Assinine."
    I'm not taking anyone's side in this argument, but I don't think ViperSlauger is deserving of the attacks he is getting.
    My take: I took the "Mrs. Assinine" thing as the replier mockingly responding to your blasting of the original question, (wittingly using your own words as it wasn't intended to be an attack (only the first couple of sentences were directed your way)), because the replier may have felt it a legit question. This is evidenced by a long and thought-provoking following response, albeit one that rubbed some people the wrong way.

21. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever?!?
    Umm, shouldn't the young people get older and acquire more resources to do that too?
    :confused:

22. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    logic has no place on BigSoccer. you are right to be confused. :D

23. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone going to the Tournament of Champions next weekend? We have 3 games in Frisco Saturday.........may be a good time to promote the Inferno!! Just a thought ;)

24. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    We'd like to see some games. Can you post schedule and location info?

25. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

And explaining what it is.