Real Fan Club!!!

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by JefeToro, Nov 22, 2004.

1. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Anyone can buy the flexis.

2. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense to MTA, but I agree thoroughly.

3. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, as I was then.
    Must've been going on a little misinformation then. Maybe that was something that they had stated last year, but changed within the past year?
    Because, I thought as a business model, they wanted to move away from flexis.

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Virtual planning is a beautiful thing. Taking action and inspiring others into a team effort is quite another.

Would MLS exist without "the rest of the world" bringing it to us? How can we ignore a world-wide model of unifying passion?

Is HSG's "slow growth from the inside out" plan the only path to success in the US? Are we actually investing in the belief of most of the world; that the US is a slow, lumbering, sleeping giant that needs to take major damage in order to awaken from our stupor?

Will all your efforts meet an incredible amount of resistance and denial? Will you create a flyer (one example that's already been offered) that the leaders of the group themselves agree to distribute in schools.. only to result in them dropping the ball just before initiating this (or any) plan?

If the leaders of a support group cannot provide an example for the rest of the fans; like take an hour of their week and distribute flyers at their local schools (this is quite different from 'committing' to a birthday once a year, or playing drums and handing out promotional items from a parade float once a year. This is a persistent, measured application of action) - then what hope do you have of making a difference?

I challenge the new Inferno members to unite and make a difference by making a regular, weekly commitment to invest in the HSG model of inspiring the future of this sport... our youth. Go to your local schools with flyers; and maybe even talk to some of the kids about FC Dallas.. BE WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE in our future fans!

I can tell you personally; while in my approaching middle years of my life, I've deluded myself into complacency. I no longer invest in my own ever-youthful-passion for teamwork and growth. We all have this inside us, this ever-new passion. So, while many of your cohorts may promise action and only add virtual work; go out and inspire yourself.

It may be all you have.

© 2004 Youth Movement For Passion. The tables are turned. Wake up your parents.

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MTA,
    I will not rain on your parade. Plse. count on me in any way that you deem necessary.

6. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Balonpie again.

Could someone rep-da-bajeezus out of this person?

7. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Hey, I just got a great idea: How about we average J.R.'s age with mine; then we're both 26!!! He'd be cool with that, too, so he could drink beer. :D

8. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's ASSININE only if it's good beer that you're wasting.

9. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    I called the question assinine .. not the person who started it. He/she turned around and called me Mrs. Assinine. I only called the question assinine b/c this so called "newbie" (i'm with you on this Theo) had a obvious intent of getting us fired up. "Is someone planning on forming a REAL FC Dallas Fan Club"?? Come on ... by putting the "REAL" part in it proves he/she knows that there is already a supporters group and wants to criticize our efforts instead of giving suggestions or offering to help.

Not ignoring it but soccer simply isn't #1 in the U.S. like it is the rest of the world.

I do have great passion for this team and the Inferno. However, I work full-time and am a full-time college student. Everyone can count on me doing what I can to make our #s bigger. I do have plans and I will carry them out.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only 33, but it's a hard 33, I guess.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm a 34-year old trapped inside a 24-year old's body if that makes you feel any better.

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what MTA originally wrote.

Considering that the guy who started this either (A) apparently didn't take the time to research what was already in Dallas or [more likely] (B) thought The Inferno wasn't up to snuff for whatever reason, I think her evaluation of the question - albeit direct, blunt and maybe a bit forceful - was on point.

And the way he framed it sure as hell wasn't constructive.

[Kevin gets out his soapbox, gets on it, and begins]
    Boys and girls, I give you Columbus as a perfect example of why MLS SCs are not yet in a position to afford infighting and selfishness "my way or the highway" attitudes.

I give you Chicago as an example of how "let's all work this out together" can become something special - and what the original poster was talking about.

I know I have had some forceful opinions in the past, but I have never drawn a line and said, "This is the only way to do it." And I have never quesitoned someone elses desire to be the best at supporting the team. (I will admit to questioning the best WAYS to do that, but at the end of the day, after a good discussion, we do what is in the best interest of the group and we move on.)

Most of you are way ahead of me on this. I am incredibly proud to see the Next Generation of Infernites who have joined over the past two or three years. It invigorates this old-guys soul (even though I'm not over the "35" Maxon Dixon line previously mentioned.)

And yes, there are those in The Inferno who are well aware of the shortcomings and are willing to work on them.

But the question is this - are you wanting to be a part of the solution, or part of the problem? If the former, then find a way to be constructive. Which may include following if your attempt at leadership fails. (Trust me - I've been there and done that often enough.) But if you have a specific idea in your head, and it doesn't materialize, then you have to decide whether your continued participation or your idea is more important.

Make your decision, then move on in whichever direction that takes you. Personally, I hope you choose the former - you're right, we do need numbers - but whichever way you choose, I hope you do it in a positive way. Hell, if you can get people to follow you, great. The more the merrier. But don't expect those of us who have been pouring out hearts and souls into this to take that kind of negative attitude and just ignore it.
    [Kevin gets off the soapbox.]

From my cheap seat, I've seen The Inferno do what real supporers clubs do every year, and I am comfortable with the direction we're going. I think our future looks bright, especially with the young guns (MP, Zen, MR and MRS TA, Texgator, et al).

Onward and upward!
    Forza FC Dallas 96!

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, JefeToro's post came from a computer with IP address 64.140.xxx.xxx. (The last two bytes of the IP address have been concealed.) I did a reverse DNS lookup, which didn't resolve, but I believe it's a Class A network, so it's likely a large internet provider. Someone else is welcome to look up which one.

And for the record, as the founder of The Inferno, I've never had any problem with any other groups' starting. The more, the merrier. If it gets more fans at the stadium involved in actively supporting the team, then that's a good thing. I'm not taking shots at anyone because we're ultimately all on the same side.

14. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it depends on what your focus is. If you are coming only to see great quality soccer, then no, it is probably not going to be your cup of tea.

But if the chance to cheer on a team, to inspire them, to infect them, to get to know them means something to you, then maybe the performance isn't as important.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying shut up - if you think the team sucks, feel free to say so, as many of us have done at times - just don't sit down/leave/quit.

I for one will never forget Korea because in great part of where Sam's Army was, where US soccer was, before those moments of glory. Jeonju was all the sweeter for all the times that the US sucked hind tit in the region. Suwon was all the more incredible because of the way Europeans looked at us going into that game. (Yes, some still do, but a lot don't.)

If you want to have FAITH, to be a part of something that will BECOME something, the join us.

It probably isn't going to happen overnight. Then again, you might be surprised. I know I sure was when we beat Portugal (who wasn't?) I know I was in Indianapolis in 1997.

It is the journey, not the end or the beginning.

15. FCDallas------

FCDallas------ New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Dallas
    Good point, but what happened to all the other groups? Wasn't their a pretty big Hispanic group too? OR did management run them off when they moved to Whiteyville?

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to the Burn's move to Honkytown, there were two big Hispanic supporters' groups, La Mara Loca and La Raza Latina. La Raza Latina was at a few games in Honkytown and they returned in more or less full force this year. La Mara Loca sort of died, not because of the move to Honkytown, but because their head people became Jehovah's Witnesses. I kid you not.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me that all of these other groups have come and gone. Look, I'll be the first to tell you that I don't have all the answers and that The Inferno doesn't have all the answers. And if it made ULHOWA the most intimidating home stadium in the league, I wouldn't mind if The Inferno was only one of 20 supporters' groups.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They still exist, whether they come to Frisco or not I dunno.

Thanks for all the positive rep, as for the negative rep from the DC fan(s), I'm sorry I probably didn't read your post correctly, I just kept seeing lines that came across as gloating like "I don't know why DC is the most internationally recognized, maybe its the many championships, maybe its the logo, maybe its the best supporters group", that just sounds like a blatant gloat just to gloat. It doesn't help when I know the Inferno needs to grow, I know the team isn't playing "attractive soccer", I know DC won MLS Cup and have a great (gulp) supporters group (that was hard to say), but the fact of the matter is the Inferno will grow; FC Dallas will always be my favoite team whether they play like Italy or like Argentina, I don't care and neither do anyone else who loves this team, we just want to win like anyone else, if you want "attractive soccer" (cough cough theo cough) then go support another team or wait for us to get a new coach don't keep coming in here with the same tired bull sh!t story of how Dallas isn't like they use to be and they play ugly soccer; and finally I hate DC, great supporters or not I hate all their players, I'm sorry I do, I hate the fact that they won the cup, I hate Freddy Adu, I'll take Grown Ass Man over his little useless ass any day, and I don't want to hear DC fans gloat. End of story.

18. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it STILL won't let me rep you.

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, La Raza Latina was back this season - not in great force, but at least 50% of what they were. I for one was really glad to see a lot of those people back - they are people I have had fun with and celebrated with for five or six years now.

My guess? (And it is just that, a guess - albeit somewhat educated... ;) ) They will make the trip and have a presence.

I also would love to see other groups. I think what has happened in DC is great (La Norte, etc.)

I'm just saying that soccer has been plagued by small-mindedness ("my way is the only way") for decades (doesn't matter whether we're talking fan groups, soccer leagues, teams, between genders, between the fed and leagues - whatever) - and if soccer is going to make it, my suggestion is that people find ways to be constructive and positive - find things that work and do 'em!

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *throws some change into Mudpoet's hat*

Ok time for my $.02. Having been to European, MLS, and USMNT games, here is what I believe are soem factors:

1. While dc can think and wish they have the best supporters groups in the MLS, I would beg to differe. Section 8 from what I have seen and heard are better, just my opinion. Now granted I hate dc and they may think I bering bias against them I am not and here is an example. When I was in Orebro, Sweden, I went to see Orebro SK play. Now while I was not in their supporters club, I had a good angle on where they were and how they operated. They were behind goal(but they had a giant screen in front so they could see what went on in the field) and I would say about 100-200 people in one section. They were able to get the area where I was involved in some of thew chanting and clapping. What caused this? Unity

With Dallas, is La Raza and the Inferno combined groups, then this would be great. Will it happen? I don't know, but it would add some flavor. While I'm not a big Sam's Army person, they have got the idea right, merge the different supporters group and you get one big massive party.

2. Noise and Creativety also plays a key. When I went to my first MLS game, I told myself if this experience sucks, I'm not coming back. Why? I had heard of the games in Europe with chants and what. I was shocked in a way when I saw the Inferno and their drums. I was hooked.

3. The people are another aspect. Granted we can chat away here and become friends, but meet in person, you have contacts for life.

4. Beer, need I say more?

I'm sure there are more things, but these are just what I'm thinking of now.

All of this 11 yrs under the 35 yr quota mentioned by Mr. Reel.

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My two cents on SE and BB.

With the early success of United, along with the initial enthusiasm for the league, they were the class of the SCs early on.

Barra Brava is generally "my kind of SC." I don't know what the people are like on Big Soccer, but in-game, it is pretty fun.

Be happy for them in their rejuvination with Freddy - until this year, they had spent three years behind Chicago. (Understand that I believe the more and better every MLS SC is, the better for ALL MLS SCs.)

I have to admit, though, that this year reminds me of the arrogance of some United fans from the early years - until Chicago came along and took arrogance to a whole new level (at least, some of the more vocal Chicago fans - those who couldn't just say, "We're the best," but "We're the best every and why the hell did you ever think otherwise and pi$$ on you for not being a Chicago fan.")

But with all things, don't paint all United fans with that brush - (feral grin) - just MOST of them! ;)

22. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    That is totally unacceptable for me. Either fix this sh!t, or cover your ears. I see that you agree with what we've got as far as an on-field product. In other places, the fans put pressure on the franchise to make changes. Sometimes the media does the same. It is called accountability. If you really do support an MLS team in Frisco, then your best bet is to get HSG to make some radical changes or they will be closing shop no matter how many times you pledge blind support.

Just simply calling a pig a dove still won't get the pig into flight. Where exactly is your loyalty? Is it to the players? The roster has been purged. Is it to the venue? That has been changed and changed again. Is it to the name? Changed. Is it to a style of play? Changed. Is it to the team? Changed. Is it to the fanbase? Changed and erroding. Is it to the colors? Changed. Is it to the city? Changed. Is it to the supporter's group? Mgmt. is in the process of changing your visibility and actions.

At least I know clearly where I stand and for what I stand. To what are you loyal? Please have a better response than.. "to just anything that is out there."

Otherwise we are all left to assume that you simply and pathetically blindly support HSG, who obviously doesn't give a cr@p about you.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    oh please, I support the Dallas Burn, I have supported the Dallas Burn since 1996. They are no longer the Dallas Burn, they are FC Dallas, its the same franchise, new name, new logo, and they switched the black with blue, big sh!t, I got over that in the summer. I don't "blindly support HSG", I don't care about Columbus or KC, I care about Dallas. Its MY team, its the team I can get out on Saturday and go see. Its the team I'm going to one day take my son to see. Its the team I've sat on the edge of my seat for 9 years over. Its my fvcking team theo. Its going to be my team until they die or I die. When I get rich one day I'm going to buy the team, its my team dammit.

What I don't understand is that you obviously don't like the team, the coach, the ownership, the managment, you don't like the team. You don't like Dallas. That is clear. So tell me...why do you come on here when things are bad (because you sure as hell were on hiatus when we were undefeated after 4 games in the spring) and tell us the same thing over and over about how Dallas plays ugly soccer and how much you don't like it? Why? Do I go on KC's board and say "oh hey guess what guys, you suck because I sleep during your games and you only win 1-0"? I know you use to like the team back in the day, but as you said things are different now, so why do you have to go on and on about the same thing? Just forget Dallas, there are plenty of Latino clubs you can root for...

24. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I had a bit of an early midlife crisis when I turned 30. Now I'm gonna have another one when I turn 35. :(

25. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think few if any are criticizing you for demanding a better product, both on the field and off. I think the problem people have with you is the perception of an armchair quarterback without mingling. Hell, people might not admit this online, but a lot of people have grumbled or yelled or screamed similar things you've said here at games - but you know what? Then they hang out afterwards and we have a good time.

So - when are you going to join us? Not "join" as in a paid member or anything, but just come by and hang out.