Reading Fans Views On Coney - After 10 Minute Appearance At Ipswich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RoyalMan, Sep 29, 2004.

1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Hi there,

Thought you might be interested in what a couple of Reading fans thought of Convey's 10 minute cameo last night. Signs that he's finally settling down and finding his feet.

Got these comments of HNA? royals.org

"Convey 7/10. Came on for a ten minute cameo and damn near created a goal for Forster with a clever dink. I want to see more of him (on the pitch)"

"Convey 6/10 not on for long but did well-great running, had a shot which was close to going in and generally got involved in the game. Has a lot of energy, pace and would like to see more of him"

Also if you're interested in MH -

"Hahnemann 7/10. Made some great saves, particularly one from a headed corner which he got down low too. At fault for the soft Ipswich goal though, racing out to the far line then being rounded by Kuqi who slotted it in from an acute angle."

"Marcus 8/10 Excellent saves, good positioning and commanded his area well. Kicking a lot better"

Cheers.

2. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Thanks for that. I was actually at the match and thought Convey did ok but he still only had a couple touches. Hopefully he'll get some more playing time and quit missing open net attempts!!

3. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unfortunately, DC fans will tell you that this problem is chronic. US fans are hoping that your rainy weather cure him of this malady.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that could well be the key to the whole problem. I don't think it's rained yet in any of the games he's played, but the moment it does I'll be down to the concourse to stick a bet on him scoring. Perhaps he'll slip and slice one in from 30 yards.

He was actually quite close against Watford.

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear that he's contributing enough that fans want to see more of him.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see that he's finding some kind of success over there. Hopefully he'll get settled in soon.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How realistic are the prospects of Reading getting promoted? I know it's early, but what's the sense from those who are actually over there and seeing games?

8. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Did anyone else expect the worst when they saw this thread title?

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they are currently leading "The Championship" so I'd say the chances are pretty good. They're typically a team that does well in their division, but doesn't get promoted. Fingers should be crossed this year...

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I did. Glad to see it isn't that way.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. It would be nice to see him work his way into the starting lineup with continued hard work and simultaneously see Reading get promoted. What a great story THAT would be!

12. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Did I just read this correctly? You can place a bet on the game within the stadium?

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just a question for the reading fans on the other side of the pond. Are his vision problems well known by Reading fans? Known at all? The boy's like half blind (an exageration).

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yep, that's correct.

When I was over there in August to see two Reading games I saw the betting stands and was shocked. I went over to one of the security guards and we chatted for a few minutes, he said they have them in every stadium for people to bet on scores, first-goal-scorers, etc. and he couldn't imagine not having them in a stadium.

15. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Reading returned to Division 1 for the 02/03 season (they were relegated after the 97/98 season). Expected to struggle, they finished in the play-off places then just missed the play-offs last season (03/04).

I think Reading would be labelled as over-achievers during these past two seasons and the beginning of this one. However, the draw away to Ipswich Town is a good sign that Reading will be near the top this season as well. Will they get one of the automatic promotion spots? I doubt it, but hope they do.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Wow. Just wow.

Is there a specific company that does it league wide? Or do the individual clubs manage the book?

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yea I was shocked too. That's why I talked to this security guard about it for 10 minutes, of course he was equally shocked when he learned that you couldn't place bets legally in our sports stadiums.

I cannot remember for sure but I remember both booths were set up in a similar fashion at Reading and at West Ham...they had the same look too, so I gotta believe they are all run by the same betting company. I am sure someone actually in/from England can answer this one with certainty.

18. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think English fans eat many Coneys. I doubt there are any Sonic's over there, much less any foot long coneys.

However, there is an American player named Convey that plays at Reading. Some say he's a bit too much of a hot dog with the ball, though......

Wait for it----wait for it.......groan!

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Ladbrokes was the broker when I was over there a few years ago..

Interesting story comes from this topic.. I went over to England in 99' to visit some friends and to watch some live footy.. The first four Prem matches I went to all ended in 0-0 draws.. Just my luck.. I decided to cash in on said luck and on a Wednesday night in Birmingham, I went over to the Ladbrokes kiosk and put 50 quid on a 0-0 draw that night between Aston Villa and West Ham..

It paid off at 11-1.. Fifth consecutive 0-0 draw, but nearly $800 richer for the effort..

I'll take that trade anyday.. Anywho, the jink was finally broken with a 3-3 draw between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday.. A draw still, but at least some goals were scored..

20. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you have to remember that betting is completely legal anywhere here. I think you need a licence, but that's it. you can bet on the score, first goalscorer, last goalscorer, overall winner, winner at half-time/full time (i.e. but that Reading will be losing at half time, but winning at full time) etc etc etc. At a proper better shop you can bet on anything. You can stroll in and have a bet on how many times Britney Spears will get married before the end of next year, anything. It does seem kind of surprising to us that you don't appear to allow gambling.

I rarely ever bet. I once had a bet though on trevor morley to be first goalscorer for Reading at Norwich. It looked so good, the cross was past the keeper and there was trevor at the back post just hanging in the air, waiting to nod it in to give Reading the 1-0 lead, and me £50, when adie sodding williams steamed in and headed the goal instead. what a git.

btw, never ever bet on 0-0, always bet on "no goalscorer", because although the odds are the same, if the only goal (or goals) are own goals, they don't count as goalscorers in first goalscorer bets. So even if the game ends 5-5, if all ten goals were own goals, you'd still collect your winnings on non goalscorer.

21. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    generally most pundits are pretty clueless when it comes to anything outside the premiership, so they'll just play it safe, saying the teams that went down will probably do well, and the teams that came up will struggle, and the bigger clubs will always be tipped to do better than smaller clubs. I think being used to the premiership, where club size does to a large degree determine how good a team is, they find it impossible to grasp that Wigan, who only get about 7,000 a week, could actually have a better team than Sunderland, who get 27,000 a week.

This division is very open, but the teams up at the top after about 10 games are generally still in that area come the end of the season (ditto those at the bottom) but there is always potential for a team to "do a Palace" and go from the relegation zone at Christmas to getting promoted come the end of the season.

22. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanx for the tip.

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that sure would be a fun game to see! Or perhaps mind-numbing... :)

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

It's not. He really is blind in one eye.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    There are many different bookmakers with in-stadium facilities. I very much doubt FA regulations would allow a club to run a book themselves.

I've always found the US attitude towards gambling to be remarkably puritanical (and hypocritical given that most States seem to have no problem running their own lotteries).