Reaction to Stadium's atmosphere at the home depot DC-LA. The game of the year?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I would like to hear your reaction to the game. I was at the game and i think that by far this should be the 2003 MLS game of the year. Great game, great crowd, great atmosphere and good beer.

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    wasn't there...I listened to it on the webcast starting at 4am in the morning here, as I have everytime the G's are on the radio.

Sounded great, and a lot less of the damn horns as usual.

As far as the great game goes, sure sounded to me like it was a good one, but go read the DC post match thread...they sure didn't think so...

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it on TV. It was an awesome game. End to end action with a lot of drama. The atmosphere was electric. The Depot Center was rocking with noise. I love watching games played at night from Victoria Street. The stadium looks great lit up a night. The colors seem more vivid under the flood lights. You Galaxy fans are very lucky,you have the best soccer stadium in America. I can't wait to get over to Carson for a match.

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found the game to be intense, but nothing special. Decent game, but hardly game of the year.

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I thought the crowd, at least around me and in the upper deck was not as loud and into the game as in my previous visits.

With a lot of newbies in the crowd - it must have been all those AYSO families - I learned several new things:

- the Galaxy played in the black uniforms last night
    - when its not obvious to the fan who fouled whom, the ref should call for a "drop ball"
    - a hand ball outside the box should result in a penalty
    - the HDC is a small stadium holding only 40,000. In contrast, the Coliseum holds 80,000 and the Rose Bowl holds 110,000
    - those &%$@ horns are pretty loud when they are being blown in your ears.

All those newbies saw a golden goal so maybe they will be back. I think that is a good thing :)

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed it immensely. Extremely happy that a goal was scored, a good reward for those neophytes that might have been in attendence. When MLS has 12-20 of those stadiums, we will all be shiny happy people.

7. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I was impressed...

Even watching the game on TV, you could feel the atmosphere. The game was in a different league from every other game in the shoot-out. Too bad it wasn't one of the games on ESPN, because it was an incredible advertisement for our sport and our league. I guess there's no substitute for an SSS. Can't wait until we get one in Denver.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Guamter, the home depot only holds 27,000 in present time and not 40k like u stated. It could be expanded to up to 35k in the future. Thanks

9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing funnier than good sarcasm is good sarcasm flying right over someone's head...

10. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    the Galaxy's website makes that Black Jersey look very green and yellow for some reason....weird :)

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to read non-LA fans' opinions considering that some LA fans thought the game sucked @$$. It was a good crowd but a lot of horns blown IMO and the game was one of the better ones I've seen this year with some great shots and action. Even my non-soccer fan brother enjoyed it.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there. I agree: the beer was good.

I thought the first half was brilliant. Great action; lots of close calls.

The 2nd half slowed down considerably IMHO. Teams got tired as the game wore on and neither team could connect in the final 1/3.

It was loud the whole time, and horns are DEFNIITELY loud when they are being blown right next to ya.

Great finish, though I was ambivalent about who should win. But nothing like a dramatic finish to a dramatic game in front of a huge crowd.

Got back to my car in time to listen to the radio broadcast replay the winning goal, and boy did it sound loud!!

Great stuff! Every MLS team needs a SSS.

13. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I was not happy about the outcome, I have to say you could almost feel the electric atmosphere on TV. Clearly SSS are the way to go. The entire "product" comes across differently in the right environment.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the game seemed pretty electric to me, watching it on TV, even though the outcome was the second heartbreak for me of the night (the first being the metrostars scoring a RIDICULOUS goal in injury time of the second overtime). everyone needs one of those stadiums for this league to really move into the 21st century of soccer.

15. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thomas Rongen loved the stadium. He kept raving about the stadium and the atmosphere at the game.

16. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    A frickin' men. It's a sad day indeed when I'm agreeing with a Quake fan. It's even sadder to see how low Galaxy fan expectations have sunk to be thrilled with a scoreless 90 minutes capped off by a lucky dribbler into the net. First time at HDC that I felt nothing when the Gs scored. Check that...I felt relief when the 90 + minutes of midfield play finally came to an end.

I think some of our fans got abducted along with the team that won the 2002 MLS Cup.

17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    So what was the attendance at this match?

18. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina

19. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    One thing about Home Depot Center, the seats on the sidelines should have been closer to the actual playing field.

Home Depot seats are great on the south and north end, but seats on the sidelines should have been closer to the playing field, like they are in Columbus and in England.

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am glad you enjoyed the game.

21. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about those TV whores down in front of LARS? ;)

22. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I saw the match on TV. Appeared to be a great atmosphere, although I think the match on 9/6 between these 2 sides was better and there were over 21,000 fans @ RFK. For me the 9/6 match was the game of the year. ;)

23. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    I was there and it was hardly the game of the year. After the goal was scored, I didn't cheer. I said out loud "its about f'n time". I think lots of my fellow galaxy fans are happy to just win these days. I look for more. I still expect more. To call this the game of the year just shows how bad this year has been.

And by the way, the upper deck has the best view in the place.

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a great game, but it was a great atmosphere.

1st half: excellent; lots of end to end action; some close goals.

2nd half: bogged down in midfield; no one could connect on final pass in last 1/3.

If you didn't cheer after the goal, you were about the only one. It was loud.

25. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City

You write about that. The only one that did not cheer were some DC fans that were present. They were being harassed by the us. I was there. The atmosphere was great. In general, it was a good game.