Reaction to a non-UEFA/CONMEBOL side in the WC final

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Roehl Sybing, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

My fear is that there will be a backlash among the "traditional" fans of the sport and the European media when a country that is not from Europe or South America makes it to the final. More than a few critics thumbed their noses at '02 when some of the favorites couldn't muster up enough motivation to beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and considering the WC final has yet to see a team from the "lesser" confederations, I wonder if it won't be natural or automatic that people will complain about the quality of the tournament and turn their backs on the World Cup. It's a shame, too, 'cause some of us were getting pretty good at the sport.

2. dawgtide

dawgtide Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga.
    They will complain no doubt. But the rest of us will know that times have just changed. Change is inevitable and people that don't want it will complain. One day the USA will win this tournament and boy is that gonna cause some hate.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not really, Americans have been winning the Tour de France for over two decades now and they still love cycling in Europe.

4. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Its simple if the team deserves to reach the final no one will complain.

5. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    Like who, exactly? In fear of starting a war I'd say Mexico is the best team outside the big two confeds... and they're nowhere near world cup final quality. But if they did make it, Like ldc said If they deserve it I would have no problem with it.

I still fail to understand the Optimism on behalf of the US fans convinced one day they'll win the world cup - For example Russia\Soviet Union has never even made the final of the whole thing with about the same population but with very little competition from other sports.

6. bigdelta

bigdelta New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Orlando
    Gee,I beleive the current England manager said we'd win it.But what does he know! :p

7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it would depend on the draw that particular team had. If they were drawn into the "easiest" group, then somehow lucked into the "easiest" opponent in the R-16, and then the same in the R-8, then some would argue that the tournament on whole was down.

To minimize this "group of death" and "group of ease" ("group of life?" what would you call the easiest group?) thing, I wish teams were seeded (top-8, second-8, third-8, fourth-8) and drawn that way, but still having to watch against intra-continental matchups in the first round.