Raymond Domenech

Discussion in 'France' started by Sparta, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sparta

Sparta New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Can I have some other opinions on this fellow? I've started to hate him pretty seriously, between the situation with Anelka, the conflicts with the Arsenal players, and the relatively poor form of the NT since he took over. I don't know anybody who supports him, and I was just wondering if anyone on here did, and why.

2. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I don't. I am trying to be patient still, but I really don't see what sort of influence he can have on the players yet.

I realized that the team, well, specifically the senior players, do not seem to have any trust in him as a coach.

What are his coaching credibilities besides the France NT U21s for the past 10 years? it seems like he doesn't know how to play w/ senior players or something. It also feels like there is not much he can do to reverse what's already brewing or the feelings already in place about him w/ the players.

I was reading an article about a situation after the Bosnia match where afterwards Domenech had the team watch the match then sit in a circle and everyone had to take their turn and say what was wrong w/ thier own performance for the match, then when it got to Barthez he stood up and said "I have nothing to say" then sat back down - the talks also lasted until the middle of the night. So, it seems it's not only a problem w/ the Arsenal players but Barthez too, as well as the situation w/ Domenech's first match w/ the team where Vieira was injured and Barthez was captain for the matches and for the press conference Domenech had Vieira at the press conference too. That seems undermining to Barthez's position and a bit odd, and apparantly Barthez wasn't pleased and the press noted that during the press conf.

So, the Arsenal trio, Barthez, and even Gallas and Silvestre both complaining about being played out of position, that leaves Wiltord the only senior player who we haven't heard anything about..

Also, what bothers me, .... I can commend the fact that he's choosing more players form the Ftrench leagues and who are regularly playing... but what has bothered me heavily is his choice of Rio Mavuba... really, Mavuba over anyone else? This is the French National team, where players already should have experience to be considered for it, and he chooses a 16 year old who has POTENTIAL- POTENTIAL is what you choose players for the U21s not the SENIOR NTs! I could accept it if it were for friendlies, but these are qualifiers that they're struggling to get through. Ugh, it pissed me off that decision, w/ other players he's chosen too.. Saha over Cisse?

Anyhow, doesn't look good...

(As you can see I had to get this off my chest!)

*I have a question, what's the big deal about players having to wear shin pads during training? what am I missing? Isn't that a good thing?

3. Sparta

Sparta New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Yeah, I think the length of time he had with the U21s may be one of the problems. That's underlined by what Pires said about having to prove himself again; it seems like he's treating them like children, and I think they've lost respect for him because of it. Like having them sit in a circle and say what went wrong...I can remember that sort of thing from kindergarten, and it seems embarassing and awkward for grown men to do it. Poor leadership, if you ask me.
    From what I've heard, though, he is a 'temporary solution'. We're lucky to have gotten an easy qual group for WC2006.

4. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For his defense, you can't say really good managers were rushing to the job...

Why??? The current player group.

They have too big of an ego built by the years of dominance, dominance that wasn't achieved by them as leaders. Leaner times will set them back straight.

Their struggles will only make the recently retired players look even better in the eye of history.

If Domenech wants to mix in new blood, good. It will only make the job of the next manager (Deschamps in 06?, Wenger in 08?) easier.

However, I'll admit that coaching U21 and seniors ain't the same game.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Its not Domenech's fault. Even if Wenger was Les Blues manager he would stink.

The problem IMO, is that France hasn't brought in new blood gradually they have thrown them straight in. This is because nearly half of the squad immeaditly retired after Euro 2004.

Thuram, Lizarazu, Zidane, Makelele. That is hard to take especially when your backups are players who are vastly inexperienced.

France does have the quality but its going to take time, to get a squad of the calibre of WC 1998/euro 2000.

Rothen, Evra, Squillaci are very good players, but need time to develop in the International game. - IMO.

Personally I think Les Blues could elarn from this and always try to get more younger players in the NT - for me the NT that went to Euro 2004, was way too old.

6. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I don't understand why he won't pair Gallas in central defence w/ Silvestre, they have good experience under their belts internationally.

7. Sparta

Sparta New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Definitely. Mexes and Pedretti, at least, should have gotten some games. But I think the issue at Euro was more about attitude than anything. Les Bleus certainly had the quality to beat Greece, but I think they were too arrogant to take them seriously as opponents, and seemed to be going at half speed the whole game. But I don't think that explains the current situation; certainly a draw with Israel should have dispelled and cockiness, not to mention some rather poor showings against the Faroe Islands and Ireland. France should have 12 points right now, or at least 10, as Ireland are the only decent team in the group.

8. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
  9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    The first time I saw this up close it looked horrendous. His leg broke as he was falling and you could see the bones in his leg almost seperate and move, as it was twisting in the wrong direction.......not evening viewing. :eek:

Let's hope he gets back soon...... :(

10. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    If you ask me, i don't like him (i'm talking of Domenech, of course, not Cissé)

Domenech is a real weirdo. He fancies himself as a actor (did a few TV series) and, worst of all, he is a firm believer of astrology. I understand why players don't like him:

" No, I'm sorry, you can't play because you're a scorpio. For this game, I need a capricorn in defence..."

It explains the odd "training" he makes with players, when they have to discuss about their problems. Some sort of astro-psycho-new age stuff.

He probably took Mavuba because his zodiac was good. I've seen the game : the poor kid was hopelessly lost. Not his fault, of course, he is far too young and unexperienced to play at this level.

Problem is, no one wants the job. Deschamps, Le Guen and Wenger are better with their clubs. The federation has no real solution. However, I hope one of the 3 will sacrify himself for WC2006. We have been ridiculous for too long.

11. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    oh, i forgot to say, about the situation with Anelka, the fault is entirely on Anelka's side. A few years ago, Anelka refused to play with National Team. In France, it's something you don't do. Never. If you refuse to play for NT, your only solution is to go on exile, never to return. Playing for the country is most important than anything else.

I reminds me than some american basketball players refused to play the olympic tournament, so maybe the national team is not so important for US sportsmen. But such behaviour is unthinkable in France. These players would be complete outcast, probably booed at every appearance. It's exactly what happened with Anelka, Domenech has nothing to do with it.

12. Sparta

Sparta New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    I didn't know it was taken that seriously. It just seems that if he wants to play, and could help the team, it would make sense to play him, as he is certainly doing well for City. Someone else has to step in, the lack of goals is ridiculous. Henry and Trezeguet have never played particularly well for France, Cisse looks to be out for a long time, and Evra doesn't have any experience. So Anelka may be the most viable option, in spite of his behavior, which was admittedly ridiculous.

13. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    It's not really his fault because currently France is in very difficult situation.
    Players like Zidane Lizarazu Thuram retired, and many new players should be replaced.
    Also, former players and new players should get along well.
    Although Domenech is a bit biased on vertain players,
    he knows what he is doing.
    All we gotta do is trust him.
    If France wants to be qualified for WC, then France need a little bit of more patient.
    I personally don't like Pires because he is also a bit inconsistent.

14. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    I think it's like the US president for US citizens. 1/2 of the nation doesn't really like him but everybody supports him because he heads the state, whatever that means.

It's not easy being a national coach, that's for sure.

iougs-

15. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Here is France's striking options.

Henry - Out of form
    Trezeguet - Injured out till Feb.
    Cisse - Out till next season.
    Marlet - Not Les Bleus quality.
    Anelka - Tempermental
    Moreria - Not an out and out CF.
    Luyindula - See above
    Govou - Out of form and hasn't brought his ability into international level.

The rest are too young, inexperinced or not good enough. IMO - its their fault for not bringing in the youngsters in at the right time.

16. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Whether you like him or not, just support our France.
    Plus, Sylvestre is better in Left back.
    Schillacci isn't bad at all.
    I wish France had another version of rock solid so-called Desailly

17. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I don't like Saha, it's probably moreso based on his whining to get out of Fulham, but he'll be called up next time, no?

18. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I still support France, it doesn't mean I have to like the coach's style... or the coach.

On CB's I do like the pairing of Squill. and Givet of what I've seen so far. I just don't know why he wouldn't go w/ Gallas and Silvestre first.

But, that doesn't matter anyhow, the defence is fine, our problem is like OM's, attack and midfield.

Do you think he'll call up Sagnol again?

19. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    you forgot Saha. plus he has some caps under his belt. with Cissé out and Anelka a big ? i can see Saha and Henry pairing up again like in Euro2004. lets hope the results are a bit better. Henry just needs to snap out of his Arsenal is everything mentality. I think now that Arsenal are struggling a bit maybe he'll not want to put all his eggs in that basket.

20. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    [​IMG]

Would you have ever guessed this guy was into Astrology and theater ???

iougs-

21. weaponx

weaponx New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Grenoble

ouai ben espèrons que son astrologie de merde nous fasse pas louper la World Cup 2006 parce que si Raymond suit les conseils de Elisabeth Teyssier ca risque d'etre chaud pour nous lol.

22. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Does anyone feel that Milan's Vikash Dhorasso is being overlooked for the national side? He seems to be doing quite well these days.

23. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I heard he doesnt play a lot for Milan.

24. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    he surelly will be called up.
    As you know Trezeguet is not fit, so Saha and Anelka would have chance to be added in the squad