Ray on WTOP

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Red&Black, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Ray is coming on WTOP (www.wtop.com) in a few minutes--i think 9:45 est.

2. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    DC has been doing an all out media blitz for the game this weekend. Looks like Ray is one piece of it.

The (formerly Sports) Junkies on 99.1 HFS have been promoting an on-field party they are having before the game.

Elliot on DC101 has been giving away tickets all week.

And Alecko was on 99.5 this morning talking about the game (and some smack about Mia that would make Seagroves happy).

How do I know all this you ask?
    No, I don't work for DC United or Clear Channel.
    I drive from Gainesville to downtown DC every morning.

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    man it is 9:55 and i haven't heard him. maybe i got bad info. sounds like tony williams is coming on next.

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    didn't happen. maybe after the tony williams hour?

5. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    the best part of the alecko interview was when the guy from 99.5 was saying how important he has been for the team...alecko responded by saying i guess....it was a really bad interview...the host of the show had to ask what the name of the league was that dc plays in...i wanted to throw up

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Listening to interviews like that is painful. Literally makes my sides and chest hurt.

7. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    That must have made Alecko's day, eh? "I guess"? Maybe he was thinking "No, I suck, I hardly get to play, I got a red card in overtime which was a key piece of our loss... No, I'm not important".

8. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    They asked Alecko..Since Mia is no longer playing in the WUSA is the team gonna try to sign her? Alecko said something like, Nah she cant play with the big boys. Then they were like you better be careful before she swings a money bag at his head and he replied he hoped she swung better than Nomar in the playoffs...Too bad they didnt ask him what he thought about his ejection last weekend....I wanted to know what he was thinking...

9. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    The hosts didn't even know who No-mah was.

Sad.

And they called the team "The DC United"
    I was shocked that they pronounced Alecko's name correctly.

10. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    they asked him about his red card and he blamed it on the ref...did ray ever come on wtop?

11. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

You gotta be kidding me...they asked that? What a bunch of idiots! Do they think United plays in the Alexandria City co-ed league or something? That just shows how friggin' ignorant the local media is about soccer.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

In fairness to "The Hot Morning Mess", they're that ignorant about everything that isn't Ben and J'Lo.

I kind of wonder why they would schedule a suspended player to hype a game he won't be playing in. (Unless he's been on that show before)

13. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    the mentioned something about having alecko on again so he could go out with a listener...sounds like they have had him on before...i didnt know about alecko doing such but i know the junkies had nelsen on as the bachelor earlier this year...the junkies are actually soccer fans...i play with two of the guys on saturday mornings in a montgomery county league

14. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ray is usually on WTOP on Friday mornings. Last week he got in another fine quote, but baseball oriented. The announcers asked him who he thought would win the Series. He said the Marlins because "they're swinging better than Dolly Parton."

15. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    Eski was on 99.5 over the summer; sometime around the Open Cup matches, I think. They didn't know much about soccer or DC United then,either!!!

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So because one idiot DJ doesn't know what he's talking about, the "local media" is ignorant about soccer?

Elliot and the Junkies don't say things like this. Goff doesn't write stuff like this. Comcast SportsNet doesn't say things like this.

Come off the ledge. There are allowed to be stupid people out there.

17. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

The hell you say; I brook no stupidity when it comes to my United. If Comcast really cared about United; maybe they'd actually show clips from a game on SportsNite during college football season, or failing that, at least mention a score outside of that damn ticker. I could give a crap about how well every college in the country did over the weekend; leave that to ESPN. I do like Goff's coverage, and I meant to exclude him from my lovely little generalization. And from what precious little I've heard of Elliot or the Junkies, they still don't seem to give as much of a damn as if, say, Brendan Witt were on their show. You have to admit, DC United gets woefully short shrift around here. The fact that someone wouldn't care enough to at least do some research on United and ask a stupid question like that is offensive, and being as irrational as I am, they ought to be shot. That's as absurd as saying Chamique Holdsclaw could turn out for the Wizards (actually, thta's not so absurd, considering the Wizards). Certain company excluded, local sports media seem not to know or give a rat's about United or soccer. And if they don't know anything, why the hell invite Alecko on the station? I'm willing to bet the majority of people who listen to that station don't know or care about soccer at all.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    ok now i have the answer. my source misread the information and ray is scheduled for Friday the 24th at 9:45 am on WTOP. so listen in tomorrow morning.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that kind of attitude, it's a wonder why media don't flock to try something new with soccer. :rolleyes:

I agree they should have been more prepared, but they were on the radio and pimped the game. this is one guy who doesn't live up to your lofty standards. Maybe trying to educate them instead of insulting them on here might make them into bigger fans.

The sun will come up tomorrow. The game will go on. And, maybe, someone else will decide to get a United player on after they qualify for the playoffs. Let's just hope they run their questions by you before the interview.

Kudos to Hicks and Boris for getting this kind of blitz going this week.

20. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    thanks for the update red and black...

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Darth, speaking of Brendan Witt - he is a big United fan - When Revelation and I and the ladies were up in the Director's box a few months back, he and his wife and daughter were up there too.
    Hopefully, the radio folks were being funny about Mia and United, but I doubt it. I think she could score as often as Alecko, and she's much better looking in a uniform on a cold day ;-)

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If a female player has a chance to make the team, it's not Mia but Abby.

She's got the size (she's bigger than some United players) and after the games she can go with the rest of the guys to hit on chicks.

23. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    We all know that all media comes from one source - Rupert Murdoch. Everyone else in the media is just a robotic replica of a human being and just lip syncs Mr. Murdoch's words! Think Terminator meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers... :rolleyes:

24. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you go big playa, hanging in the directors box with rev and "ladies", you are the puffdaddy of mls.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL !!!!! Can I be the phitty-cent instead?
    I didn't mean to sound so cool, you know I'm not. I bought my way up there :)