Rate the Ref

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by detter7, Aug 17, 2002.

1. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Pretty simple, self-explanatory question. There were some strange calls, some harsh, some no calls, whatever. I'd think after MLS dumped a ref earlier in the week the current refs would be a little more on top of it this week.

2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'd say a couple of pretty big errors from the game management perspective, but his foul calls were mostly OK...other than rewarding DeRosario's and Graziani's dives and not carding anyone fron SJ for the constant fouling of Q2.

The play that led to the PK was a direct result of poor management. He stopped the play because the ball hit Marco on the free kick and then didn't make SJ reset the ball or caution Marco. He basically just let them play on while everyone was stopped waiting for him to take charge. Even Rob Stone noticed this.

And I think he should have dealt with the Donovan-Prideaux play a little better. But I'm not going to complain about LD getting a yellow and Brandon getting off the hook. He already had a yellow and needs to be smarter, but anyone who got whacked way late like that would be pissed too. The second shove was a little much though. I do think it's funny how they have made LD into Saint Landon. He can be as dirty a player as anyone else, he's no angel.

I was a bit annoyed that Jack kept telling us that Soccer Saturday was coming up with San Jose and Landon Donovan, but never bothered to mention DC United was the other team until we scored. Of course they should market him, but by the same token I think they risk something by doing that at the expense of everyone else.

3. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know if he sucked any more than every ref sucks. he rewards blatant dives, but what ref doesn't? i get so tired of seeing it, running for the ball, defender pursuing, stop, wait until you fell contact, fall over.

lame lame lame.

oh well. maybe someday we'll have infallible robot refs. that would be cool.