Rapids @ Wizards in game and post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checked MLSnet, we're up 2-0 in the 25 minute, thanks to goals by Conrad and Klein, with the ageless one assisting on both of the goals. Hopefully our defense holds the lead. But I guess that everyone is at the game, which is why there is no one posting here about the game.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's half time, 2-0 to the KC Wiz, hopefully they can hold the lead.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another win for the Wizards, 4-2 they blow their two goal lead, but two goals by Klein, three assists by the ageless one, and two assists by our new whipping boy, helped us to win this "six point" game.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    This is why people can never give up hope. Now there's a really great chance of facing Colorado in the 1st round!

5. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Really, we got hosed on the first goal...way offside run for a goal (after two or three non-offside runs by Wizards were flagged), although Tony should have had it. Kennedy was nearly as bad as his asst. referee. Very inconsistant, calling us for small fouls and clean challanges where we won the ball...then no calls on a dump in the penalty box in min. 35 and another foul on Arnaud in the 41st (or so) not to mention the rest of the terrible no calls on Colorado. Terrible.

Klein's goal was pretty, Conrad's was off a free kick and was perfectly placed, Gomez's was brilliant; the flag went up for Wolde Harris, then Kennedy correctly waives it off...while every one watches, Gomez speeds up the left wing onto the loose ball and fakes garlick to go far post and then shot near...really pretty. I didn't get a good view of Klien's second...

Quill wasn't anywhere near as good as his two assists make him look...he was better than some recent performances, but some of his play on the ball was excrutiating to watch. He got a long ball served perfectly over the top, with Klien free on his left, and he hoofs it to a marked Preki on his right...

I still say Bob must go...his substitutions make no sense (albiet Gomez scored a goal)...Harris for Armstrong (who was playing some of the best soccer out there), Gomez for Arnaud (see armstrong) and Talley for Zontinca (not a terrible sub, but it was th 85th minute and we were only up by a goal. jesus, sub out offense for defence *Caugh* Quill *Caugh*, not defence for defence). BTW, the match report is wrong, it wasn't Talley for Conrad, it was for Zotinca. We were very lucky not to waste this game.

Quill should have been contributing like this all season, and only if he can keep this up and improve should he still be starting. Meola needs to retire (maybe we should try to trade for Garlick or Cannon?). Klein is on fire. All three defenders has pretty good games (Jimmy was off a little, but still solid).

6. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Oh yeah, Miklos Molnar was in attendance (and looking extremly fit). We tried to convince him to suit up and rejoin his old squad, but he declined. I wonder if he was there to see the Wizards or just his old pal Chris Henderson?

7. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to today's Star he spent most of his time in Denver visiting Henderson. Now he's heading to Nepal. Damn.

8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gansler gets second-guessed even when his subs (especially Gomez) work out well. Unbelievable.

9. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Reasoning for line up and subs

It's not really so out of whack, and I'll tell you why I think so.

I started to wonder last week about Gansler's reasoning for changing up the line up to move Klein around and mix things up. My concern was that Gansler hadn't been struck by inspiration, but had just run out of ideas.

I saw a post-game quote today that has me worried that it's the latter. He alluded to the fact that he hadn't figured things out but a win is a win ... and that the result is based on how the players interpret the game.

If he's just moving people around for the sake of making changes then it might not be Bob's genius, but the way things worked out on the field. Toward the end of the Newman era, Ron was sending out the team with Mo as a defensive midfielder and Lalas as a striker (maybe not to start, but that's how it would end up.) Newman simply had no ideas left to help the team win.

I'm not saying this is the case with Gansler, but the guy isn't really inspiring confidence. He's basically said that he just tossed out 10 field players and prays for 90 minutes.

Maybe he's come across some divine inspiration and these changes and subs are the result. Maybe he's just lucky that Klien has gone crazy the past couple of weeks.

Just a thought.

10. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    This is what happens when a player like Masteroni is not in the midfeild to break up the other teams game.

Colorado is a different team without Masteroni.

11. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    The difference between briliance and absolutly crazy is a very fine line. I believe everyone was questioning the call to put Gomez into the game and pull Arnaud. A midfielder on for a forward when we are trailing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Bob got lucky on this one and Gomez made the most of his changes. You have to give props to Gomez. Here is a guy that isn't starting and he worked very hard to make an impression and to win a spot back. Is Bob crazy or briliant? you make the call, but one game out of how many has this worked?

12. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The last time Gomez came in for Arnaud (at Dallas), Gomez also scored.

Still, it was not a midfielder for a forward substitution. I heard all of the complaining about "he's playing for a tie" or "when you play to tie, you're playing to lose." Arnaud was[i/] playing as the lone forward with Klein supporting from inside left and Quill inside right. When Harris came in for Armstrong, Quill took Armstrong's left wing-back spot, and Arnaud went inside-right attacking midfield. At the time of the substitution, KC needed more creativity and flair. Arnaud is neither of those, but Gomez can provide that. Klein went up as a true forward with Harris, Gomez plays a little deeper, as well. The Wizard's attack changed and it was Gomez sending a perfect ball to Klein for the game-winner.

Zotinca was essentially playing the same position as Talley was against LA, right wing-back. With Zotinca in, its a more attacking position. When Talley is in, its more defensive.

As for Klein playing inside-left, its not Mo playing defensive midfield nuts. Klein is a quick and powerful right footer who doesn't really cross the ball well. Playing inside left allows him to cut inside and shoot.

You can criticize Gansler all you want when things are going badly, but if you do that, I think its hypocritical to not give him a little credit when things go well. Instead, some say "he just got lucky." By this logic, every manager would/should be fired.

13. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Not-so-random thoughts

...and Frasier...and Spencer.

KC proved capable against a "B" defense. LA up next.

Klein scores four goals in two games and KC wins twice. Coincidence? Hmmm. :) The man is en fuego! Good to see him back doing things he can. (It's about time)

Don't look now, but Preki is three weeks away (with two home games) from being the only 40 year-old in this league's history to lead MLS in scoring. That statement could still be true when all of us are long gone.

Comments heard around the Cauldron Sat.:
    "Sub Quill" Totally agree, I was certainly yelling it. His first 65 minutes could best be described as "disjointed" and that would be kind. No matter he had two assists. His first was a gift as he chose not to attack and put a touch in the box to Preki who found Klein. Points for finding Preki - it's always a good idea. One thing you can say is that he had to hear the crowd in game. He did raise his game in response. For that at least he should get a verbal pass next Saturday, especially as he will be starting. It shouldn't take him being catcalled to raise his game.

"Meola should retire" - I wouldn't go quite that far. His play is declining, no question. He's been caught guessing and reacting late. His distribution is less than it should and needs to be. On Zizi's opener for Colorado he had no chance. It was a brillliant shot that just curved inside the far post on a 5-6 ft break. You can't expect anyone to cover 34 ft of goal post to post. That said, Tony did appear to react late. Regardless, he was well beaten on a great shot.

"Fire Gansler" - Nope, don't agree. Until someone's name comes up that is obviously better, BG's fine with me. Remember KC just scored 4. Six in two games. Two saturday because of designed attacks within a game plan and one straight from a set piece. That from a guy playing one-handed (no thumb-Conrad). You try muscling someone without your thumb. They came back after blowing the 2 goal lead. At some point that is coaching. KC is clearly in shape and is usually able to step up a notch or two physically when necessary. Isn't that coaching? After beating an average team there and a short-handed one here, KC is in a position to contend for second behind the best team in MLS. It could come down to winning in dc to take scond place and the Week 2 home game.

"Armstrong has been one of the best out there, why is he being subbed?" Don't agree. He's capable of a pass here and there and he doesn't kill your team. That's why he starts. That alone isn't enough in crunch time at a D1 level. Not for titles. #16 has 2 goals in 22 games. For comparison, Conrad has the same amount of shots and similar goals with one more assist. Is Arm's defense enough to compensate for his lack of offensive contribution in justifying the statement? Not to me, but I'd like to hear a different opinion.

"Arnaud has been great." Wow, not on defense. Plainly he's a liability on breaks the other way. If he scores every other start then you cope with it. Come playoffs, that defensive lacking will show. I'm sure he's working on it.

"We suck" Well...on defense yes. Only pitiful Dallas (-29 GD) and NE are worse statisticly. KC blows leads, they give to everyone. They turn the ball over trying to set up not trying to create...well, they do that also, but you know what I mean. They give up early, late, from counters, sets, and from the flow of play. KC is poor defensively. Game changing speed most certainly has a role, Meola has a role, as do the defenders and anyone else that turns the ball over needlessly. I've said before that Conrad was a known quantity. A great fantasy defender, but maybe not always best for a team. If he's scoring you can't beat it. He has 3 this year. His thumb will heal and he will improve, count on it. On offense, KC is flat dangerous. Even with the two month winless streak, KC is still within 3 goals of the scoring lead and has the league leader on its' roster. Nothing wrong there. They don't suck. They have lost season series to both SJ and COL - that's why they are in 3rd. KC finds a D and they'll run it. Just hints of it so far, though.

I would rather watch 4-3 soccer either way than 1-0 wins all season. KC is entertaining even when the other team is scoring. Think about it, no lead is safe either way. They never bunker, because they can't. When they try to knock it around the back they can't get forward. That only leaves flying forward. Most of the season KC has been able to outrun teams and find a late goal. One key stop by Meola, one block out front, one connection on the fly is what seemingly separates this teams' success from failure. I have no idea how you can hold a coach primarilly responsible for that positive or negative.

Molnar looked cut like a diamond. Mr. Clean-on-a-bottle cut. Wow.

$1 brats would have been better if they were anything close to warm. Both of mine, purchased at different times, were short of warm. One was flat cold. Hard to argue with a buck, even cold.

Quick name 3 things KC's GM has done above average...

I'd have to stretch to say number and quantity of business sponsorship, season ticket holder relations/events, and increased ticket sales. The second is truly something handled very well. The first and last might be at least partially attributed to the buzz gained from Mr. Hunt's efforts. We'll know more next year. Could personel have been better? His draft record? The Zard program? His own personal interviews? (truly embarassing) Lastly, creativity and intelligence in dealing with ancellary groups like Mystics, Crusaders, and visiting groups?

Igor Simutenkov to the white courtesy phone...

3-0-0 when wearing the blue-white-blue combo. Ride that horse 'til she bucks you, man. Will LA wear yellow?

6 goals and 6 points in two games. At some point we all doth protest too much.

Wow, I didn't mean to type a book, sorry.

14. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    Re: Not-so-random thoughts

Hey but a good read though. :)

15. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Quill played better than he has been, but I'd love to see Igor play in his place.

16. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing the Preki position, just on the other side of the field.

17. jdouble

jdouble New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    lineup

speaking of that....

-----------Meola

Conrad----Diego---Garcia---Armstrong

Zotinca--------Z-------------

--------Quill--------Preki------Klein

---------------the kid

Ok. So Armstrong was pushing up that left side a lot, and Zotinca was playing outside more than inside. So... what the hell do we do when we have both Igor and Wolff back? One of them can take Quill's spot, and the other Arnaud's?

This lineup doesn't look like it was the key to our "turn around" but it did work two games in a row... do you think Gansler will go back to his prefered 3-5-2 when we have a healthier front line?

18. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Re: lineup

I don't think Gansler really knows what he is doing. I think he just realized that with Preki who tends to drift right, and Klein on the right side it was just to easy to defend. His move, was to put Klein on the left, violla instant sucsess. I have seen his quotes, it isn't because he is designing this a certain way it is because players are interpeting the game better.

Lets face it Klein is a great player and putting him out on the left put a temporary solution to a problem that has existed for the past 3 seasons. If there was one trade that CJ would want to have back I am sure it would be the Chris Henderson for Lassiter.

There are two trades I would like to see for next season. 1. would be a left winger. 2. would be to upgrade the defense (or just find a way to keep Jose healthy). A third trade is another mideilder (a replacement for Preki, who can play some defense in a 4-4-2)

19. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Not-so-random thoughts

Ummmm he ummmmmmmmmmmmm????? Ok you got me.

I agree but like I said before as long as the kiddies keep coming to games his job is safe.

20. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    3-0-1. KC tied Metros in NY, for some reason Metros wore white at home that day.

21. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Because it was hot as hell that day. Conrad left due to heat exhaustion.

22. jdouble

jdouble New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    i thought in that tie against the Metros we wore a tighter italien-style blue jersey more like what the rapids have. so technically....

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But those weren't our normal blue jerseys, they were solid blue, and darker than the Carolina blue jerseys the boys regularly wear.

24. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Didn't we kind of come to a consensus that the "jersey" we wore in NY was the under material in our normal white away jerseys?

25. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it was this.

But yeah.