Rapids website - beyond pathetic

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jul 23, 2002.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we had a thread on this, but if possible it's gotten worse. When I checked the website Monday morning about 9am MDT it had not been updated with Saturday's score. Now it's been updated, but the next game listing shows the next game as Saturday against the Burn. I guess Colorado really isn't playing in New England tomorrow night then....

After seeing some of the nicely done A-League pages during the Open Cup I'm very dissapointed in the Rapids...

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and the last game is listed as Wed. July 20th @ Crew. If someone would look at a calendar they would see that July 20th was Saturday...

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    pathetic revisited

I'll just keep beatin' this drum, and hope someday someone at the Raps will care. Of course, there is nothing about the match at the Rapids' site. I thought I would see whether or not the Revolution would have anything. As I expected, at the Revolution's site, I could find a full account of the match. Musa Shannon. They said on the TV broadcast that the Rapids had added him to the roster. Did we hear anything. The only thing we ever hear about is the barbecue. Way to go Rapids admin.

Go Raps!!!!!

4. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Their website isn't the only thing that is pathetic. I called them this morning to get an extra ticket for tomorrow's game and was told that I had to purchase 10 to be able to get them over the phone. If I just wanted one, I would have to go in person to the box office. After hanging up with that rep, I thought I would call back just to see if they were consistent and if they were, I would chew them out for their horrible customer service. Well, the second rep said no problem and processed my request.

My point is if you've got an attendance problem, wouldn't it make sense to help the customer once you've got them on the line instead of sending them elsewhere. If I didn't have season tickets already, I would have said forget it and not gone.

Also one of the first rules of good customer service is apologizing for an unmet expectation. I received no apology for not being able to get tickets over the phone, even though I have been getting them over the phone for the entire year. I think I've been to maybe two games this year without bringing someone and I got all the tickets over the phone.

Anyway . . . I apologize for rambling.

5. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Great Work If You Can Get It!!!

One day after announcing that the Rapids were going to play the CyberRays in the first cross sex soccer match, they show at the top that the Rapids beat the Revs 3-2, and then immediately to the right fail to show that the Rapids now have 29 pts. and have moved from 4th to 3rd as a result of the win. Whoever is doing the page either doesn't know anything about soccer, or just doesn't care. You be the judge.

Go Raps!!! Beat Dallas!!!

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I see that the Schedules page hasn't been updated in a month. It didn't even list last night's game...

7. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Great Work If You Can Get It!!!

You're prob right on both accts. The new admin is a big evil corporation.

8. iluvsoccer

iluvsoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Denver, CO
    transition

I wrote an e-mail to the Rapids about a few issues and the response they gave me about the web site is that they are transitioning to a new company (which greenie can attest to.)

What I don't understand is why they don't have somebody updating it in a timely manner in the meantime. They seem to make changes eventually, so why can't they just do it a little quicker.

Also why is the "transition" taking so long?

9. Menno-soccer-man

Menno-soccer-man New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    No Kidding

I gave up on the site a long time ago. Get my news from here and from the opponents sites. Learn more that way and don't have to deal with the nasty mess on the Rapids site.

10. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I think the deal is that while the Rapids website is undergoing a transition, they are relying more on Rapidfire, the email service that gets sent out to those who have signed up for it. I tend to get a lot of info from this, including a weekly preview, injury report, press releases, etc. Not as good as a fully functioning website, but I think that's how things stand at the moment until the website gets back on track.

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Rapidsfire might be considerable substitute if people could actually sign up for it. Note that there's no link to do so on the Rapids site.

As for this "transition" to another company, all I know is that this company assumed full responsibility of the site on July 1st, taking over from the person who managed the site following my departure in late April.

Why the Rapids made the decision to make such a major "transition" during their busiest time of the season is beyond me -- just as is the decision to work with a company that clearly doesn't give a damn on how the site (ergo the team) looks or works.

12. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    AEGeewhiz

I decided to skate around the Rapids, and sent a letter to AEG, stating that the webpage should be an embarassment to a wealthy, professional business organization. I didn't use any bad words, or exaggerations. I just pointed out the many failures to have accurate info, the existence of information and directions for an event that had taken place weeks earlier, and the fact that I could always get up to date info about the match from the team the Rapids played, but never from the Rapids. Not surprisingly, 2 weeks later, no letter, no e-mail, no phone call, no care!!!!! If that isn't the reality they are trying to portray, they need to get busy to change it. Maybe the worst part is that this attitude may be the very reason the Rapids have gone downhill each year as the season wears on. They start out enthusiastic, but when they realize that the ownership probably doesn't care, the effort begins to fizzle out. I haven't given up on the season yet, and I sure hope the Rapids haven't.

Go Raps!!!!!!

13. iluvsoccer

iluvsoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Why did you have to leave? Didn't you know that we were all relying on you for a good site. :)

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I was traded for "future considerations." :p

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday morning, 8:45 am PDT, no update to the Rapids site about Saturday's game.

16. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
    I always go to the MLS site (majorleaguesoccer.com).

They always get game reports up promptly.

17. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Maybe the Raps could just "cut and paste" from here.

18. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    When you go to the link for schedule, the last match they have put a score up for is July 7th. If somebody is trying to take Greenie's place, he must have taken an extended vacation!!!!!

Go Raps!!!

19. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    You mean that we've played game since July 7th? What have I missed? :)

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep waiting for the link to the damn Peanut Butter & Jelly!

21. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I'm concerned, this has just a little bit to do with the new web designer and almost everything to do with the Rapids front office. The Rapids made the decision to switch web designers (or forced the decision through their actions -- not really sure which). A new design team has an existing web server to research, a web layout design to comprehend, an integrated database to research/understand, and a live day-to-day demand from fans. It's a bit much. However, I will admit that they should've at least mastered the Roster, News, and Game Reports sections by now to keep them somewhat accurate (even using the most bizzarre web servers, apps, and DBs) so some of the blame is theirs.

Pissing on the new web design people will probably turn them off enough to cancel/eject from the deal and make finding new web designers even more difficult.

Just direct your hatred to the Rapids front office where it belongs. PB&J for everyone...
    :(

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The streak continues. 8:23am PDT on Tuesday, still no info about Saturday's win on the website. It's been 60 hours since the end of the game...

23. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    You make it sound like the Rapids have a sophisticated system on the back end.

Few websites need to be that involved. There is no database used for any of the basic updates, no proprietary applications used to push news, game reports or schedule information. Straight HTML, nothing more. Heck, even if the site was originally being driven dynamically from a database it wouldn't take more than a few hours to strip the source HTML and get it running on a simpler level (with the exception of things like the auctions).

The site was set up this way specifically for this circumstance, so that anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of HTML could spend 10-15 minutes to post a game report and another 10-15 minutes to update related areas of the site.

24. greenlightwilly

greenlightwilly New Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Colorado
    So there you have it, folks. Basic HTML. Simple stuff, nothing sophisticated. ...They just don't give a ***************.

25. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Hmmmm????

Does HTML taste as good as PB&J?????