Rapids vs Schelotto's Crew-Sept. 2nd (1pm) pre/game/post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by teddy_montoya, Aug 28, 2007.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: Rapids vs Schelotto's Crew-Sept. 2nd(1pm) pre/game/post...

Ouch!

2. GOLEE702

GOLEE702 New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Highlands Ranch

You keep Jovan on the field since he holds the ball well. You bring on fresh legs to help hold the ball up top and to take advantage of some very tired defenders. Cummings scored vs. the Revs and Gomez nearly did the same vs. the Gals. We are not needing a flashy central mid at that point so you get the adjustments you need while making only one sub and not two.

I know we have some JK haters but like most players, he can be very streaky and he is on a good streak at the moment.

"The Deron learning question is"...Will Deron look to his own word? "stick with a winner."

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I’m one of those that have been very critical of JK. I also believe he’s been more effective the past two games when played as a forward.

How quick people forget out ineffective JK was as a midfielder. What I’ve seen when FC moved him to midfield late the past two games is the ball movement slows and possession drops. At that stage of the game JK is a bit more tired and the other teams’ intensity higher. JK is not known as a ball winner nor a ball chaser. A team with a strong, quick midfield will thrive in that situation. The bottom line is by moving him to midfield, FC is employing the same failed strategy he abandoned by moving him to forward.

Having said all that, the move on the scoreboard, ultimately where it counts, has worked (or at least not failed ;)). One reason, I think is the effective play of Cooke and Clark defensively, regardless; I understand why FC would stay with that game plan. I hope the Rapids are in a similar situation against the Crew and I hope the results are the same as the past two games.

4. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, when colin clark started playing with the first team I noticed that his hustle was so much greater than other guys. I saw him making runs to fetch the ball after it had been cleared from a corner kick, sometimes making his way all the way to the other side of the field. You certainly won't see that very often. This last game, it paid off, as he made the run to the other side of the field to be in the right spot for the ball to land at his feet and he put it in.

5. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Not that I don't have issues with how Niko (not to be confused with Nico) has played but how is using that as an example of good play by Colin different from what Niko's been doing?

6. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clark does something with the ball after he chases it down? ;)

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    :D

Let's see, in the last two games...officially 1 goal, 1 assist. Let's not forget he passed to Casey, in the box, who's shot on goal was blocked and subsequently put in the net by JK. He created the PK, by JK. Those are the easy ones, off the top of my head.

That's more in two games, less then 180 minutes, then Niko did in 1472 minutes previously.

8. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    FYP :)

9. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, we're not at the 'Dog this time - I had forgotten about an out of town commitment on Sunday. With the KO time where it's at, can't do both.

Someone drink a pint of Stella for me!

10. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm captain of the anti-JK fan club. I readily admit it. He's done well as a forward the last two games though. The previous half a season of poor play as a midfielder suggests that playing him there doesn't make sense. The success of the last two games shouldn't mask the fact that the possession dropped in each of the second halfs when Jovan dropped to midfield. The teams success in each of those games came in the first half when Jovan wasn't in midfield.

Now it may be tactical, and responsive to the opponents pressuring in the second half, but Jovan's not a ball winner and the movement we lose in midfield when Ballouchy came out reduced possession.

I don't like Kiro's game and I have more evidence from watching his career than the last two games can assail. But, even I, would keep him in as forward when he's doing well there, which he has been. It still doesn't make sense to put him in midfield when his playing there has proven, over his entire time with the Rapids, to be unsuccessful.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Gotcha covered!

12. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I dont work in the morning I'll make the drive to the Bulldog for some pregame activities and to watch the game...

13. Fort Rapid

Fort Rapid New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Fort Collins
    NEWS FLASH: Hang on to any of the new State of Ohio quarters. If you have them, they may be a collector’s item due it’s unique design. The U.S. Treasury Announced today that it is recalling all the Ohio quarters produced in Columbus. Treasury Undersecretary Jack Shackleford said Monday..."This action is being taken after numerous reports that new Ohio quarters will not work in parking meters, toll booths, vending machines, pay phones or other coin-operated devices." Shackleford continued on .. "The problem lies in the design of the Ohio quarter, created by a top-notched University of Ohio graduate student. Apparently, the duct tape holding the two dimes and the nickel together keeps jamming the coin-operated devices."

14. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this somehow related to the columbus game? I mean, I know it's in ohio, but come on!

15. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    funny if you ask me... :D

16. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see it now, a new insult for when columbus comes to teh dick.

A large banner:

"YOUR STATE QUARTER GOT RECALLED!

burn!

17. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Do you really not get the joke or did you not read the whole thing? It is saying that <insert your least favorite state> are morons. I don't suspect he planned to use this to heckle the team.

18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I really wouldn't call what he is doing "Heckling" if he is posting on a thread in the Rapids forum.

:cool:

19. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Scheck reffered to holding a banner at the game. I suspect he thought it was a serious post.

20. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, maybe the last sentence of that post was a bit crucial and I should have read it. :p

21. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Back on target I'll try to be more positive in all aspects.

Assuming FC stays consistant with the lineup I see the Rapids staying consistant as well and grabbing a solo spot for 8th. 2-1 Rapids

22. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree ..... JK is definately more effective playing forward. Overall, Jovan and Casey seem to work well with our 'new and improved' midfield !

23. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <sweating profusely>

I have no idea who to start, is he gonna play the same lineup?
    Is he going to get a ROAD victory?
    Are we going to score more goals?

<wiped my sweat off my forehead>

24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    This will be the first true test to see if this team has what it takes to make it to the post-season. The home wins were absolute MUST wins...

I am going way out at the end of the limb hoping not to fall to a certain death by predicting a 2-1 victory for the Rapids.

this is why my prediction is soo weak..

Rapids away record: (very disturbing except the 1999 anomaly)

1996 3-13
    1997 5-11
    1998 5-11
    1999 9-7 2nd best in league
    2000 5-10-1
    2001 2-11 shortened season
    2002 4-8-2
    2003 3-10-2
    2004 3-8-4
    2005 3-9-4
    2006 2-10-4
    2007 2-6-2 So Far this year.