Rapids Vs. FSL pre/post [R] 5-27-06

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by rockymtn_mike, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Ya, but ya know, that hand ball (if it was a hand ball) was about 2 yards oustide the box. The PK was just ridiculous.

2. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ugly game from the ESPN2 feed, then the "ref", and then the odd nature of the play............

Give the Rapids an A for answering the fake penalty and going back up 2-1.

Give them an F- for playing a trap in the last few minutes that was a set up for JC and JK to break thru on, more than once. I do not like bunker ball, but pressing for the 3-1 win and leaving gaps behaind isn't my best choice with a rookie goalie back there. I'd be interested in FC's post-game comments.

For getting a tie on the road in adverse circumstances, OK, fine. At least this wasn't us squandering 3 points at home. Tho an odd game, the boys played with enthusiasm, many in fairly new situations.

RLH

p.s. There is something to the hating this being my team piece. I think it's true of all soccer fans.......a loss is tragic, a tie, sometimes worse. But a win is only a relief.......

3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The officiating definitely left something to be desired. Perhaps the drizzle affected the referee's vision through his trifocals. Even so, this one was a tad sloppy on the play, by any measure. Any road point is worth claiming.

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just once, I would love to see a league not fine a coach for calling out poor officiating when it REALLY WAS POOR OFFICIATING.

We'll take the point in the RSC, but we lost two today. That was a win, courtesy of Wasson's goal in the 85th.

5. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malaga....

Can you just IMAGINE if this was the last game of the season, and instead of every team going to the playoffs, this tie knocked us out??? Or in Europe, lose the chance to play the Champions League??? yuck.

I think that since it's easy to make the playoffs, the league isn't so bent on making the regular season ref's actually do well. Although the ref stunk all day, we got hurt a bit more by the PK. At least Kries misse dthe free kick from the fake goalie hand ball...

R

6. Sean-J

Sean-J New Member

May 27, 2006
    What could bouna do to stop those 2 goals! What do yall want from him lol. The first one was not his fault (poor officiating) and the second one was the defender's mistake. HE still has a lot to learn but please give him a break.Cannon would not do any better!

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon wouldn't have put himself in a situation to be yellow/red carded on the second goal or questionably handled the ball on the edge of the box. And Cannon's distribution may not be great but at least he can keep it in bounds.

8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'd argue Cannon would have had a better chance on that second one. Bouna's too quick off his line and I think it cost him here; if he had set back, seeing as Kries played that right at the middle of the net, Bouna probably could have saved it. And Cannon probably wouldn't have been as fast off his line there, nor taken that two footed dive at the ball.

But as for his other problems, with handling the ball, distribution, etc., I think Cannon would have done better.

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I thought Bouna looked less poised then he did against L.A.

Regarding when he fumbled, he was hit (by Kries maybe), don't know if that caused the fumble though.

Despite the histrionics from the announcer, I don't think Bouna came flying in with 2 feet. Well, he did, but it's something you see almost once each game and typically you see the attacker jumping over or diving after he's hit, in this case he fell first.

His distribution was poor.

10. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    its been 2 hours and i'm still pissed about the officiating. But I would like to point out someone else who really has not been in good form and the finger points to you Mr. Mike Petke

AGAIN TODAY, Petke was responsible for both goals. Now i'll give him a pass on the pk as that was terrible, but WTF was he doing on the second? The ball had been skipping all day so he should have known not to let that thing hit, but instead he made a half assed attempt to volley it over his head and missed and Kreis makes him pay.

I am tired of seeing this wanker on the field. He needs to be benched at least for a game or something. I would say of all the goals that we have given up this year he's responsible for at least 90% of them, due to poor positioning, half assed tackles, etc.

Petke to the BENCH!

11. DevoDinho

DevoDinho New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    My thoughts exactly, that was horrible!

12. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I have a question about Matt Jordan: Was he relatively okay and then injured when he came here, or did we acquire someone in need of rehabilitation knowing that his absence would force us into the possibility of using a talented but raw goal keeper who really isn't yet ready to play at this level. A healthy Joe would have been in the right position to save the Kries goal. I would agree, though, that shouldn't have been an issue. With less than 5 minutes left, and up a man on the road with a one goal lead, this is the one time we should have been playing bunker ball. I would concur that Denton made some very nice plays during the match. I would have been muttering for a week anyway about the hand ball\pk, but then we get a chance for a new kid to win the match for us and our strategy gets us killed. 1 point on the road is okay if we were overmatched and lucky to get it, but 1 point today stinks!!! We should definitely have come away with a win. There is no way that I can come away from this considering it a partial victory. If we are going to make headway on the teams above us, we need to do it against the RSL's of the world.:eek:

13. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Hopefully they will fix it very soon but if not, check out the headline at http://www.coloradorapids.com. It says goals by Kirovski and Peterson were not enough to win the match even though they later correct that by saying the goal was scored by Daniel Wasson. Good Proofreading!!!!

14. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    seeing it live, it really was. We could count on him getting us the ball every time he had a goal kick or punt.

as far as the officiating, extremely poor on both sides. just horrible.

to the rapids fans who braved the weather, nice. 48 degrees isn't the best temperature to watch a match.

and about the ESPN coverage. i just rewatched the match and couldn't believe the missed almost every goal.

15. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, we should give Bouna a break.........new guy in the league...

He should have done something different than charge with BOTH spikes up on J.K.'s goal......the hand ball (bobble..) was a bad call, but as goalie, you pay dearly for bad calls. Like QB, no position has the same high stakes every game.

Cannon has been less consistent as a Rapid vs. a SJ, but I hope to see him back, soon. Bouna will grow into a good keeper if he gets the chance.

R

16. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Niether goal was his fault, but it is sort of 'adventures in goal keeping'. I easpically chuckled when he picked up (with his hands) that obvious backpass, which wasn't called. He got so flustered he just threw it out of bounds. Funny stuff.

17. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Early in the pre-season, some were asking about Bouna. The rap on him at the time was that he had a long way to go with his feet. He was very athletic at getting to the ball, but his delivery left a lot to be decided. In a way, it is too bad that he has had to be thrust into the limelight so quickly. He has some really good skills but his judgement at when to come out and when to stay will take time, and he still is a couple years away from being adept at distribution.

18. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped. Neg.

19. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting trip, and a long day, to say the least.

Petke stunk it up. I thought Peterson had decent stretches in the first half, but then faded away. Bouna definitely needs work on his distribution. COunt me in for the "Bench Mathis" campaign - the oaf with one red shoe.

What puzzled my most, though, is the fact the trying the route 1 game failed continuously in the first half, so why did it continue in the second? These guys must know, some of them anyway, how much faster the turf is when it's wet. Yet every clearance was 40-60 yards and outran everyone. I can't count the number of balls that skidded over the bye line, but I will guess it was 90% of them.

Oh, and on the dubious Bouna handball, we were near nervous breakdown that Cunningham was COMPLETELY unmarked on the ensuing free kick. (That was me screaming in vain to Denton to turn around) Fortunately, no one seems to consider a wide-open-JC an option that close to goal.

8 of us flew back tonight (of the 20 that were there - hooray for us!) - I'm sure the rest will check in tomorrow after they thaw out. :D

20. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I know there is only one person on this board that will agree, but Mathis looked pretty damn solid to me today. He was ALL OVER the place, winning balls, making good passes forward and to both wings.....I mean he looked good.

But of course I know that most people won't see it that way.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLSnet writeup does not include any mention of the PK being questionable, it barely even mentions the PK at all. None of the FC quotes mention the officiating or the PK either, and I find it hard to believe that he had nothing to say about it. I think MLS is planning to sweep this under the rug...

22. newnew

newnew Red Card

Dec 9, 2005
    You see other game. Benched him, Peterson and Noel for ever, please.

23. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    the turf was a factor for both teams. I just remember watching the ball hit the pitch and actually pick up momentum. It was against the laws of physics but I swear I saw it.

It was fun sitting directly accross from you guys today. Adds more fun to the rivalry.

to me, Peterson looked dangerous most of the match. He easily out hustles the rest of your team.

we'll see you again, Sep. 9 at RES. (PS, i wake up, and i'm still pretty cold).

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    When you make statements like this, you DO have to ellaborate on them. Otherwise you're just a troll.

25. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with you, for what that's worth.

It was good to see you guys in Utah again (those of you who I know)... Hope to see some of you come back for some (hopefully) better weather at the next game.

Rocky Mountain Cup would go to Colorado if it was decided today--tied on game points, tied on goal differential, you'd win on away goals. ;) But it's not being decided today, so...