Rapids vs Fire Pre/Post Game 10/1 [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by gschroeder, Sep 27, 2003.

1. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I actualy didn't think Trembley did too bad. And as I've said before I despised him in previous years. He's a little hot most of the time. On the non-offsides call for the Chicago goal, he was in the linemans face, right in front of us, politely telling the linesman what he missed .But he also stripped the ball and broke up some plays as well. He matches up well with Beckerman I think but not as well with the other mids.

One thing I noticed about Powell is that he is one of the tallest guys out there. Could be a good target in the box for set plays and crosses on occasion.

How come no one has mentioned how good Borchers was?

2. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    So I wasn't the only one that saw the rays of divine light gently bathe Marsch in their glow? Thank goodness.

So we may have miracle one in the case for Marsch's sainthood. Although playing for the Fire gives it all a satanic feel. If he can turn Razov into a man, then the stigmata argument has credibility. That would be a miracle. ;)

What I really wanted to say was that was a great comeback, Trooper. LOL!

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "How come no one has mentioned how good Borchers was?"

My final thoughts on Thor.

I've noticed tremendous maturation of his game since he first started. From the beginning he was fearless and solid. But lately he's become much more adept at attacking the situation, controlling it and then calmly distributing. His performance last night, specifically in the second half and OT was one of the most dominating I've seen in years, maybe since my youth watching Soccer Made in Germany when Franz Beckenbauer roamed the pitches of Rhineland. Okay, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but damn, he was good :)

4. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Thor rules!

So everyone's been yapping about who will win ROY and almost everytime, Borchers and Damani Ralph come up with everyone picking Ralph just becuase he scores a lot of goals. Well after last night's showdown that's insane. Our rookie clearly kicked the crap out of their rookie and shut him down, BIG TIME. My god!! Thor was a one man wrecking crew out there! The folks on the Chicago post game thread have been cursing his name all day!

Several defenders have won ROY before and IMO Thor deserves it this year.

5. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Re: Thor rules!

Where do I send my ballot? Thats exactly what I was thinking last night.

6. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: Thor rules!

That's classic! If I was a premium member, that would be my sig!

7. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Dear Colorado Fans:

Slide tackle studs up is a red card no matter if he got ball or not.

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Yeah, and then there's the real world. The Fire would play with three players every game if every studs up tackle got a red card.

9. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Dear Chicago fans,

It's not a slide tackle if the opposing player doesn't even have the ball. Not to mention he never touched it. Thanks for playing.

10. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Not this year. I think we have been playing very clean this year.

11. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    okay, 50/50 ball studs up. Still a red card.

12. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    50/50 ball assumes that both players have an equal chance on the ball. Fraser got to the ball well in time.

Note that Fraser didn't slide.

Note that Fraser's studs only came up because of the follow-through on his kick.

Note that Marsch threw himself into the challenge.

Note that if you consider this instance a "studs-up tackle" and "still a red card" then about 1 out of every challenges from a defender on a player with the ball should result in a red card.

Hell, when I go out to play on Sunday maybe I'll just forget about getting to the ball first and try to get kicked on the follow-through.

13. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    The red card was BS...

http://www.cybersoccernews.com/mls/rapids/031002rap-chi.shtml

"...the Colorado Rapids pulled out a 1-1 tie with the visiting Chicago Fire in front of 12,185 fans at Invesco Field. This despite the best efforts of the Fire and the officiating crew, lead by Hector Tobon.

On the night, Tobon handed out five yellow cards and ejected Rapids defender Robin Fraser in the 79th minute for serious foul play when the former U.S. National Team member went into a 50-50 challenge and won the ball cleanly before any contact was made with Fire midfielder Jesse Marsch..."

It's over, it's done but this league has seriously got to look at the level of their officiating, cause it really sucks!

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Edmilson got his cleats up on one of the best goals from Korea/Japan. Guess he shoulda been given a straight red instead.

[​IMG]

15. apetri

apetri Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the need to quote Greenie, cause he's exactly right. Marsch threw himself into Fraser's follow-through. If anything, it's a foul on Marsch. It isn't a foul on Fraser, and it sure as hell isn't a red card. That was a bushleague call. So was the offside goal. How can you be out of position on a corner kick?!?! Unbelievable. The announcers kept saying the Rapids should be happy with the point, but I say the team got robbed repeatedly by the refs. I'm not happy with 1 point.

Oh, and Borchers is amazing. Game in game out, he's one of the best, if not the best player on the field.

16. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Just doing my best to bring the funny.

17. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Who cares anyway. Refs are human. It did Chicago a lot of good since we equalized shortly thereafter. We played a scrappy game, lots of misqueues, lots of point blank opportunities in front of goal missed. A very scrappy performance helped by the fact that we were missing 3 starters and that we already qualified for the post season (same as Chicago). I think that with Borchers on defense and Powell starting and Masteroni available if needed as a sub, we won't really miss Fraser that much against KC. We will miss Spencer however. But Mr Hanki is right to sit Spencer out , we need him for the playoffs, no need to agrevate his injury until then.