Rapids vs. FCD, Sat. July 14, 7:00 pm MDT P/I/P

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by DavidJames, Jul 8, 2012.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Technically, this is not a must win game. However.
    • The Rapid have lost four of five.
    • They lost their last home game.
    • They've lost two of the last three home games.
    • They're playing a team with a worse record, the only kind of team they've been able to beat.
    • A sizable chunk of the fan base is pissed about the Kimura move and last nights game just made it worse, losing again and it will get even uglier.
    No, technically, it's not a must win game. But it sure seems to be an important one.

2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I haven't seen the schedule but the 'summer swoon' usually lasts 10 - 14 matches. 'Must Wins' start after that when we are in 7th or 8th place and trying to sneak into the playoffs. Like all MLS sides we will have players out with injuries (or playing with them) and if we don't make the cut in October that will be the why of it.

More on topic, Dallas (?) of course we win. ;>)

3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Rapids, how will you underwhelm me this time?

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since OP has tried so many formations, here's my idea for a try

••••••••Casey••••••••
    Cascio•••Rivero•••Cummings
    •••••••JL•••Mullan•••
    Only back 4 we have
    ••••••MvPickens

Hopefully this will solidify our D

5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I forgot to ask for this night off from work and I dont give crap, I think i'll just make a few extra bucks instead.

6. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids aren't much threat to Seattle in the standings and are within 3 points of three teams nipping at their heels. They gotta win their home games.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying 2-1 loss. This is, of course, assuming they put on the same type of performance they had against Seattle, Vancouver and San Jose; ie, a team that looks like a collection of random strangers assembled ad hoc to run around for 90 minutes then collect their paycheck on the way to the local watering hole. Who also happen to suck at defending set pieces. No desire = no cohesion = no points. Unless of course the team that played against Portland shows up, then we might actually get a win. It's Oscar's job to make sure the latter team arrives, not the former. The spotlight of leadership can either be dazzling or supremely uncomfortable and I'm guessing he's not feeling particularly dazzled at the moment.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I must say I strongly disagree with a lot of the above, especially the "no desire" part. I see plenty of desire. How many times have the Rapids packed it in when they are down? They sure could have last night, but they got themselves back in the match.

In many recent matches, San Jose included there have been times when the possession has been excellent and positive. Rivero has become more involved and positive, etc.

Where the Rapids are sorely lacking right now is their ability to defend coherently for 90 minutes. There often seems to be a minute or two where mentally they let down. That's what sucks and drives me crazy.

The formation that seems to be most effective right now in terms of attacking is the 4-4-2. So I hope we see it on Saturday night. The key in the attack is keeping Rivero close to the other attacking players so he can deliver some well timed and weighted passes.

I was/am a huge Kosuke fan, but I am sure as heck not going to get down on the Rapids because they traded him. Whatever happened to bring on the trade, I realize that with anew coaching staff there are going to be players that fall out of favor. Additionally, I don't see this trade in the same way I view the Beckerman trade.

BYLRPhil, Jasonma and DavidJames repped this.
  9. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are absolutely correct that defense has been our true Achilles' heel. The no desire is primarily aimed at what happened yesterday; up until they got 2 down, I really felt as if they didn't want to be there. True, they did show some stones and tried to claw back into the game, but coming back from 2-0 with 15 minutes left is one tough task. I would have liked to see some of that passion and urgency in the first half. My attitude toward the team right now really has nothing to do with Koz's trade; I'm supremely sorry to see him go too, but it's probably for the best. I'm hoping for the best on Saturday, just trying not to get my hopes up so I won't be too disappointed.

10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry folks, laptop was used as soccer ball on biz trip in Mexico.

Not easy to do stuff from smart phone

11. Alagroth

Alagroth Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne OZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im just excited to be back for the weekend and be able to watch a Rapids game live again. Watching the Rowdies or City isnt really doing it for me.

12. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Close behind is our inability to finish. There have been quite a few games this year where we have had MANY excellent scoring chances (open headers, breakaways, open nets) and the ball goes just wide, or just over, or gets tangled in the guys feet.

We are 7th in scoring and tied for 11th in Goals Against with a Goal Differential of +1. If our finishing was better we would have a lot more than 25 goals right now. I think Cascio alone would have another 6 or 7 if he would put away some of the great chances he has had. (37 shots, 14 on goal, 2 goals)

13. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OP still seems to want to install his favored 4-3-3 or a 5-man midfield, though I agree with Jasonma that we've been most potent offensively with 2 forwards in a 4-4-2.

I also think keeping Castrillon on the field is key in OP's thinking. JC was quiet v. SEA unfortunately, but... If Castrillon starts, then Cascio is off the bench.

With the new depth we have, trying to get our best XI on the field in a shape that works is challenging.
    -----------------Casey
    --------Rivero---------Cummings
    Castrillon---------Mullan
    -----------Larentowicz----------

----------Casey-------Cummings
    ----------------Rivero---------
    Castrillon-----------------Mullan
    -----------Larentowicz----------

Regardless, I expect the Rapids to keep getting their beat on the bottom of the table. 3-0

14. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------Casey-------
    Cascio------Rivero------Cummings
    --------------------Mullan
    -------Larentowicz---------

------------------Casey----------------
    Cummings--------------------Mullan
    -----------------------Rivero----------
    ------------Castrillon------------------
    -----------------Larentowicz-----------

-----------Casey-------Cummings----
    ------Castrillon----------------Mullan
    -----------------Rivero----------
    --------------Larentowicz-----------

*Bring back the d*mn formation tags! :mad:

15. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I would like to see

Casey​
    Cascio/Smith -------------- Cummings/Hill​
    Rivero ------ Mullan​
    Larentowicz​
    It is time to give Castrillon a "rest"​

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cummings out wide failed pretty badly when Smith tried it last year, I see no reason that Pareja's system would improve on that.

17. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------Casey-------------------
    -----------------Cummings---------
    Smith------Rivero------Mullan

I keep playing around. The thing is, Castrillon's kind of the defensive guard to Rivero's point guard, so it's hard not to have Castrillon in there to reduce Martin's defensive responsibilities and free him up to roam wherever he wants to collect the ball like a true #10.

18. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do want to see Cascio, Smith, and Hill getting more time.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually why I originally was going to just put Smith and Hill. If Cummings is in, I would tell him to tuck inside more than Hill would. I just wonder now that Hill has been out of the 18 and there haven't been any reserve games for a while, how match fit he is. Would he be ready for a full 90' at game speed?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard time giving Smith more PT unless we can trade him. He simply has no future here.

21. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take a *healthy* Smith over Castrillon any day. Not a one-to-one swap by any means, but Smith just brings so much more creativity IMO. The real trick is him staying healthy though...

BYLRPhil repped this.
  22. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Tickethorse has some pretty sweet deals ;)

24. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    At this point I tend to agree with this. I am not down on Castrillon as much as others, I see no major advantage to having J. Smith in over him given the teams make up right now. If Smith gets more pitch time over the next several games, I could change my tune, but his age, injury history, lack of recent play may be working against him. My daughter really likes him though, so would love to see him succeed.

25. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oh, the game. 2-1 or 3-1 victory. As stated before:

--------------Casey-------------------
    -----------------Cummings---------
    Smith------Rivero------Mullan
    Goals by Casey, Omar, and maybe at MF or D.