Rapids vs. Crew Pregame/Postgame Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by pappekak, May 6, 2003.

1. danjo

danjo New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    how many more games till hankinson has to go..it must be a personality conflict with hankinson and beckerman. he is still top 25 of under 23's but he can't get a couple games at starting????He came in at 62 and for what i saw played good... Why does he think everyone else is going to do so much better.It is amazing. In this game hart caused the goal. Who is he going to try next.?? Maybe Garlick!!

2. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was at the game... and you the thing that seemed the most embarassing to me about you guys... two excellent free-kick chances from just about the same spot (in the 1st half), and the 4 that are on the ball are arguing over who's taking the shot... that just looked completely unprofessional... besides, during the training session the day before, ZiZi was taking all of those so why would there be any discussion???

Also, i've said before, Chung is a freagin' primadonna... 3 or 4 times in the first half alone he let his man run by him into the box for Paule to play the ball to... now, granted, none of those resulted in goals... but they were very dangerous situations that occurred simply because he was not willing to do the work that was required of him...

ZiZi looked better last night... he seems to be rounding himself into better shape... i still have no idea why Beckerman doesn't play (and i'm not basing that on his performance last night in limited minutes)...

Fraser is a joke... how does nobody step up on McBride's goal???... Stu had Cunningham, where was Robin???...

Poor Pablo... he seemed so frustrated...

Hankinson said the team need to keep possession more... so why would you put two ball-winners in the middle of the field, a hard worker on one side, and a primadonna that doesn't like to get dirty on the other???... how is that midfield going to be able to keep possession for you???

3. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Rapids vs. Crew Pregame/Postgame Thread [R]

On the second goal, the entire defense (including Fraser) gave McBride a pass. Agreed

The PK? C'mon... maybe you were at the game and haven't seen a replay, but that was a sketchy call (at best). Clear movement to the ball and an unclear outcome even without the slide.

4. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    You're high.

If I see anything, it's some frustration at what's going on around him. But "primadonna"? The guy's a workhorse.

5. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Etc.!!!!!!

So much of the same old stuff. It's easy to blame the coach, but in this case, I think it's justified. Players arguing over the free kick. Week after week, we see balls pounded into the wall. McBride's goal was almost identical to the one the week before against the Metrostars. I am afraid that what I see is players who are not standing behind their coach, and when that happens, very little good results. Preseason is when you change the lineup each match. Regular season is when you stick with your best eleven and ride them until they jell or fall apart. I don't want to be writing off the season yet. I know it takes only a few wins to turn things around, but when a single PK early makes your team swoon and fall apart, things aren't good!!!

Go Raps!!
    Go Away Tim!!!!

PS My personal interactions with Tim have been good, and I find him likeable, but that doesn't make him the coach we need right now!

6. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo needs to learn how to shut the fuck up when he gives up a foul. That wasn't even a great position, and he gets a dissent. When did this team turn into Portugal?

7. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    I'm not trying to troll here, but can someone explain why Spencer isn't playing? Where is the John Spencer that carried my fantasy team in 2001? Right now, the rest of my players are carrying him.

8. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He apparently tweeked a hamstring and hasn't even trained for a week.

9. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Do you know when he'll be back?

10. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe next week.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I'm the only Rapids fan with this opinion, but I didn't think the PK call was that bad. Fraser did clatter him over, and went through him to the ball. It's wasn't a great call, but it was no worse than the PK call against Rimando in the DC game )Roberts was not going to get that ball before it went over the line). It's a call you get at home and get called against you on the road.

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think it was that bad a call either. My first reaction when I saw the play was, "uh oh." I would have been relieved to see it go, but that doesn't make it right. Also, MLS refs seem awfully tolerant.

13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "I didn't think it was that bad a call either."

I'll third it, the call almost became inevitable when Cunningham was allowed to run free into the box.

14. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    My Two Cents

I think it was an adequate call. It could have gone either way, even though I think it should more legitimately have been a no call. I know that this was the ref's first match in the MLS, and I can understand him having some trepidation, but it was like he had to check with everybody else before he made the call, and reminded me a little of my son's rec soccer where parents making a lot of noise can influence the referee's decisions. Still, we are pretty fragile if an early PK dooms us for the rest of the match.

I sure hope we turn things around soon!!!!

15. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Correcting myself here... sped through the game tonight to watch key moments (love that ReplayTV), and it looks like Herdsman was the one who stepped forward.

Which doesn't take any of the blame off of Rizo, who was so far from marking any attacker that he wasn't even in the frame of the TV screen. He makes a cursory appearance after McBride puts it in.

Chung's moves are particularly laughable. I really don't know how to put into words his sudden juke away from McBride.