Rapids v. Revolution 9/17 [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by The Magpie, Sep 17, 2003.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Rapids vs. Revolution: Pre-game

Boston newspapers are reporting that Taylor Twellman has been given the o.k. by doctors to resume play, and has been cleared for tomorrow evening's match against the Rapids.

Rusty Pierce will return to the Revs from a one-game suspension, while Chris Brown could see his first action in a number of weeks returning from injury.

Any news of note on Colorado?

The Magpie

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chung will be back after a one game suspension for his first red card in MLS.

Powell is still not fit to play, and we don't need him.

Spencer is going to light up the Revs and make the fans know who the MVP in 2003 is.

3. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rapids:253
    Revs: 0

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the game at New England? if so, what is the forecast with the hurricane headed this way? are they expecting bad weather up in that area too, or will it miss that part of the northeast?

5. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    gschroeder -

Thats my post of the year. Sort of says it all right now.

Go Rapids!!

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, @ NE. I'm about 3 hrs. north, but the weather is great here. I don't think they were expecting the hurricane weather in NE until the weekend.

If I can get out of work, I might make it to the game. I was thinking this game was in October for some dumb reason and spaced getting tix.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Spencer is going to light up the Revs and make the fans know who the MVP in 2003 is..."

Actually, the "boogie" player who worries me the most is Chung, especially coming off the first red card of his career. He'll be making runs at Jay Heaps (right back) who has a pronounced habit of getting caught up-field,and that could leave the Revolution quite exposed.

Spencer is a very good and deserving candidate for MVP.

The storm's going to miss well south of New England, and the forecast for Foxboro is: Mostly sunny, 65 degrees with a light Northeast wind... just about perfect. Pitch should be in pretty good shape with the Pats starting with two away games, that is, unless Bellicheck (friggin' idiot) used it during the week for practice.

The Magpie

8. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    The Revs have been decent at home lately, right? But, last place team, very sketchy line up, we should win.

Brown is good in the goal, obviously Ralston and Twellman are players. But that defense;
    Heaps/Pierce/Llamosa/Franchino is in danger of a red card at any moment, and they just don't have a real quality midfield nor a second option up top.

I say Raps 2-0, and Rusty Pierce picks up another game suspension.

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids should win regardless. New England ain't nothin but hos and tricks.

10. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    New England is playing for their playoff lives and the Rapids have looked a little too comfortable at times in the past few games for my liking.

I hope that Chung brings back the spark, with he, Carrieri and Spencer putting pressure on.

If we underestimate NE, we can easily lose this game. We need to treat this as important as any other game we've played this year or will play later this year.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    It won't be too hard to find motivation ...

We're only six behind SJ. A win by us and loss by SJ to KC in KC ... and it's going to be BIG ... especially with a game against the clash errr EQs in October in our house!!!

We've got a chance to win the damn Conference ... which is HUGH because it would give us home advantage for the Conference final game should and when we get that far.

If we don't have motivation ... we have a team of dogs. And we all know we don't have a team of DOGS!!!

Rapids take this one.

12. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Laughing.

To not break the mojo................

Rapids lose a heartbreaker. Adin Brown gets first career goal.

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

LOL ... and to keep it rolling ...

Hanki deserves credit for this!!!!

14. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And what Mojo streak would be complete without more playing time whining. The new locker room turmoil will change my prediction.
    Rapids: 253
    Revs:1

15. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Time to throw in my mojo:

Hanki, you suck! This has nothing to do with you! If the Rapids eak out a win, it was despite you!

(This is getting difficult as my past recomendation was throw the best eleven out there in their best positions and let them play. That has basically been the Rapids strategy lately and it sounds like our man is sticking with it. Not that anyone listens to me, or should, honestly, but my fan's sniping prayers have been answered. But I can't break the mojo!)

16. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Just over seven hours until first touch and not much chatter here.

You guys are making me nervous about this game.

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    When you're winning ... and have a fixed lineup ... there's so little to discuss!!

I like it :)

I'll make a bold prediction. If we go up more than one goal ... we'll see a sub for Henderson ... getting either Kingsley or Crawford in the game.

That's about as BOLD as you can get :)

18. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Chatter, chatter, chatter...

(Is that better?;))

19. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Rapids have an almost two week break coming up right? I can't imagine Hanki is going to fudge with the lineup that much, so I would say that Crawford or Kingsley might get in, and if we are down big, we might see Casey Schmidt or Zizi (but he's hurt, isn't he? I know he stayed out of practice, I think Monday)...

20. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    The Revs are playing for their playoff lives as well as being at home. This will be a low scoring, gritty game, with little finesse. Their outside backs are two of the most physical in the league.

That being said, we still need to get the ball out on the wings to Carrieri, Chung, Hendo and yes Kotschau. Pull their defense out, then push the ball back to the 18, on the ground, and let Spenny and Beckerman and the opposite midfielder jam the seams. All Spenny needs is a little space. A nice touch to an onrushing Chung or Carrieri and viola.

The defense has to focus on keeping a clean sheet. That focus has really been working well.

I suspect it will be a center-circle brawl all day with Franchino and Mastro dealing punishment. Not a pretty game, but fun to watch anyways...

Go Raps!!

21. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awww damn, the chance to see the Rapids play on tv and hurricane Isabel may knock the power out around match time.

Well, I think the Rapids can take the Revs. Steady play boys and pound'em.

22. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    So in the article I read on Twellman returning he admits he's not game fit because he missed two full weeks of running and he says he gets winded at practice. Plus, he still can't breathe through his nose!! Doesn't exactly sound like he's really ready to be playing again but whatever. I'd be shocked to see him play an entire game. Our defense should be able to run him out under those circumstances.

I'm tired of making predictions. I just want the game to start!

23. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    has anyone else noticed the chick that is over on the left every once in a while!!!

Oh man ;)

24. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No kidding! I surf this board at work and have to minimize my screen to hide it.