Rapids v Guatemala [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Soccerholic, Oct 14, 2003.

1. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  2. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good points being made...some observations...

Rizo and Blake both received really stupid yellow cards. Blake's was particularly stupid since Rizo had just gotten one within the last 10 minutes for roughly the same thing.

I as not terribly impressed with Piserchio (at least in the second half, when he spent more time on our side of the field).

Blake looked decent out there. I expected him to not be all that great (since we haven't really seen him this year, despite our lack of depth), but he showed some decent passing and he seems to have a lot of speed. He turned into the box at the right time, drawing the PK. He took the shot when he had it and got his first goal. He was infinitely better than I expected. The one knock was the yellow card, which I thought was foolish to take. He also seemed pretty tired at times in the second half. Right now, I'd rather give Blake a chance to earn that third forward role over Zizi.

I totally agree about Zizi. Zizi, while not exactly a stud on the field (he had a nice run here and there though), looked better playing D than I thought he would.

Ruiz's pk call was a total dive. I couldn't tell from the angle whether the callback was bogus or not.

Where were the Rapids fans? We were about the only ones standing on our side of 123 (and we saw a couple on the other side of 123), and we saw a handful in 122.

Hopefully the Guat Nat fans who showed up took some interest in the Rapids and will show up to some more games. Well, except for the ones who were throwing food, bottles & (!!!!) a football onto the field after the Wes Hart pushing match and subsequent red card.

I wish regular Rapids fans would become more into the games like the Guat Nat fans were (well, except for the wave, which should die a slow painful death :)

This was a much better game than I expected it to be, and I am glad that a lot of the younger bench players got a chance to shine a little - especially Blake.

Finally - I used to think our National Anthem was long. Not anymore. Not even close.

3. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have to admit, it seemed like the Guatamalan fans were actually pretty hard on the fish...at least in our section. I assumed that they would bend over backwards to give him the benefit of the doubt.

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I would have liked to have been there but my daughters choir concert took precedence, she also would have preferred to be at the game :)

I appreciate everyone's comments and it looks like it was an interesting game to watch, mostly to see players we don't normally get to see, Rizo lives, for example.

Now I'm hoping I can exchange my tickets for additional playoff tickets. My first request to the office was non-committal, I'll try again :)

5. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    My bad. I was thinking only of the team taking the restart wasting too much time, which you will see called on keepers when they putz around before a goal kick late in the game. Yeah, if the defending team is preventing the restart from being taken quickly, that's definitely a bookable offense.

Also, no offense to the Rapids, but if their team with a bunch of reserves can comfortably beat the Guat Nats, the US should have no problem if they face these guys in qualifying.

6. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Knowing only what I've heard, that was Guatamala's A-team. I really find it hard to believe though.

For the sake of those who weren't there, a short summary of Guat's skill. Powerfull shots,too bad they were far from on frame. Okay ball skills, but really no better if not worse than the Rapids. And about the only danger they posed was on corners and maybe free kicks.
    It really was shocking how inaccurate their shots were for a national team. Dallas could have won that game.

7. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    Blake was selected as Man of the Match for drawing the PK and then scoring his goal.

8. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to mlsnet.com the Open Cup Final and the Rapids-Guatemala game drew the exact same number of fans, and weather , now that is interesting

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/trac...L&version=recap

Referee: Ali Saheli
    Referee's Assistants: -Jose Corro; Scott McCaslin
    4th Official: Ben Chouaf
    Attendance: 5,183
    Time of Game: 1:51
    Weather: Cloudy-and-55-degrees

http://mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker....T&version=recap

Referee: Kevin Stott
    Referee's Assistants: -Nathan Clement; Craig Lowry
    4th Official: Alex Prus
    Attendance: 5,183
    Time of Game: 1:51
    Weather: Partly Cloudy-and-55-degrees

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The smaller the country, the longer the national anthem. I think it's law engraved in stone somewhere. Honduras has a long one, too. We got to hear it at Giants Stadium a couple weeks ago. Sung by a baritone who might have been an opera singer once upon a time.

It was... and experience.

10. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow, even the times are indentical. What are the odds of that happening? :)

11. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Someone at mlsnet forget to edit their cut and paste?

12. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    At least they had different referees listed for the games. :D

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Well how many were there? I heard it looked like maybe a couple thousand.

14. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    around 5K sounds accurate to me but they were also alot louder than most Rapids games. Made me kinda ashamed really.

I forgot to mention before my thoughts on the "Pat Down" on the way through the gates. All I can say is how insulting. I was sure to ask, "they never "frisk" anyone at any of the other games, so what's changed?"

Of course these guys were just doing their jobs.

15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    where I was sitting was great. The parents were in the lower sections and then there were 5 of their kids up near me screaming Go Rapids as their parents were cheering for Guatamala. Cool!!

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I think that there is a parallel universe.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mlsnet.com is always striving for greatness aren't they?

Atlease their site is better than the Rapids'.

18. Bahnzo

Bahnzo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Littleton, CO
    I had that same thought. They didn't even frisk me at the USA v Mexico game held here.

I spent the entire Guatemalan national anthem trying to get a beer. Was it just my stand, or were all stands obviously staffed by trainees on thier first nite?

A much more entertaining game that I thought it would be. I had free tickets and almost decided to pass and stay home and watch the Cubs game. Glad now that I went.

Oh! And the siren they have above 127? Did they pay a lot of money for that thing? Because they use it so often that it seems like someone feels they need to get thier money's worth outta it. Use it on goals....i don't see the need to run that thing constantly.

19. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    From what I remember from WC qualifying, aren't they just a bunch of hacks? If I recall correctly, their game is to just foul the s--- out the other team, try to take someone out, and then hopefully score on a counterattack. I really don't remember them having much skill to begin with.

20. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ruiz was the only skill I saw on the field. Aside from the diving thing.

21. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I was frisked last Sunday afternoon going to the Broncos-Steelers game. Maybe there is some sort of a hightened terror alert. I haven't paid any attention to that silliness for at leat 6 months now.

What is it now green, teal, sky blue, ruby red or butt pink??

22. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Ruiz may have skill, but don't leave him off the Guat hack-list. He's the one that slammed Keller to earn a goal down in Guat during early rounds of qualifying for the last WC.

23. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I found out the spanish name for submarine is "submarino" (sp?) so every time he took a dive I would yell it towards the Guats fans. I think that should be his name instead of that "little fish" thing. Or maybe that is where he got the nickname from!!

A little late on the game comments, but I am sorry for those that decided to stay home because I think they missed one heck of a game.