Rapids to sign Gabriel Torres

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by CommodoreSlacksburn, Jul 24, 2013.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heart skipped a beat when he was down hurt. It would be such a typical Rapids move to have our big signing injured in this game.

Totoro repped this.
  2. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the reserves match today someone should definitely be worried about staying. From what I was told by my source he should be here after Chicago for paperwork and hopefully ready to go against FSL.

jayd8888 repped this.
  3. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be more than happy to.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ouch, 0-1 loss, that's not a good showing.

5. CommodoreSlacksburn

Apr 11, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much the result but some sloppy play. It was good to see Pickens in action though.

P.S. USA USA!

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    IndyRapids04 repped this.
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  8. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the things Lenhart could have done to improve his reputation... that's not the worst he could have done, actually. And considering some other things he's done, that's actually not that bad. If this soccer thing doesn't pan out, he should look into bachelorette parties.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think hes having a stroke

10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    That will be grand! Thanks for all your info on this.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching another good performance from Powers this weekend combined with on-going injuries with Rivero I'm wondering if the Rapids have decided that Powers is good enough that they can make Torres a DP instead of spending a reported million dollars to buy out Rivero and make him a DP. I'm not saying that Powers is as good as Rivero, but Powers might be good enough for what the Rapids need out of that role at a substantially cheaper cost.

12. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope they delay the anoucment till tommrow out of respect for christian benitez

13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was thinking a similar thought. Rivero has not shown DP level play so far, and we've heard little of him lately. Maybe the FO is seeing him more as cubic zirconia...in the rough. They could be holding off on playing him to create negotiating leverage as well. Ya know "the guy hasn't performed so we're only willing to pay $1m - X". But given his injuries...?

14. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we could put riveros technical ability and iq to read the game into powers oh lordy

W.J. Marx repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect to the dead intended, but why would a passing of a Liga MX player, even as surprising as it was, cause a MLS side to delay making a player announcement? Are we expecting all teams not to make announcements today?

16. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, they try to extend the loan rather than buy him out? Probably slim chance given the circumstances of the current agreement, but better than a firm commitment either way.

17. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That seems like a pretty nice alternative since they haven't been able to see much of him this year, which would have been the decision year - IMO.

If I recall correctly, the Rapids had a little issue plying him away from his club in the first place, so I wonder if they'll play ball?

22SteveD repped this.
  18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless these Visa's work differently then others, he must return to apply for Visa through his home country. Can't do it any other way per USA rules, edit: political asylum is only way around these rules.

19. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How long have the rapids been in discussions with him? Perhaps the visa application had already been completed.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Perhaps this DP signing is followed by an unexpected but long awaited shirt sponsor...and we get to sign Rivero as well! Yeah, I know, but a guy can dream.

21. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when RSL was signing Saborio they were trying to negotiate the $1million buyout in his contract. I'm not sure what they ultimately paid but I'm guessing there will be some negotiating going on.

22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in order to get a "work" visa in business world you must have a signed contract that you have a job from sponsoring business, not to mention salary detail and that info around what you have done to find an qualified American. I would think Sports would work same way.

He could show up for announcement then head back to Panama to get Visa, while hopefully his ITC makes it to MLS...

23. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this... he may not even stay for the announcement

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, it is similar for athletes but there are less hoops to jump through, from the employers stand point and it's a quicker process for the both. I'm racking my brains a bit but I believe athletes and entertainers apply for and are ultimately granted a "P-Classification" visa. As far as I remember, there are 3 classifications for a "P" visa ---- P-1, P-2, P-3. P-1's, I'm near 100% sure, are granted to athletes and entertainers who compete / entertain at an elite/international level. Athletes and the employer simply have to produce evidence of a contract. The athlete must also clear a thorough background check. Unlike a standard work sponsored visa, the employer does not have to provide written qualification(s) to distinguish the athlete from Americans. P-1's are pretty cut and dry. They are fairly easy to obtain if all your ducks are in a row. Torres could have applied with the US Consulate in Venezuela where he is currently employed. He does not have to go to Panama unless some critical documents of his are there.

25. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    If the Rapids sign a real DP sans a shirt sponsor... At that point I will no longer care if they get a shirt sponsor. Since now it's clear that a sponsor was not needed to make a DP signing.

Stuart95, 22SteveD and wormhole repped this.