Rapids to share Mile High w/ lacrosse in 2006

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
  2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will probably be Lax lines on the field Monday as well since there is a lacrosse game there tomorrow. Hopefully the Rapids will continue to be the "biggest" sub-tenant at Invesco and continue to have some scheduling power.

3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I guess we can dream.

4. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    One more season.

5. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Actually, I was thinking that lacrosse would be a good match for soccer in the new soccer stadium. Lacrosse isn't going to sell 50,000 seats any time soon. They match the small stadium model.

From a Kroenke standpoint, I guess there is no reason to confuse the customer on the relative merits of indoor and outdoor lacrosse, so he wouldn't have wanted this team to form in Denver. However, there was a certain inevitability and if there were an outdoor team, I couldn't see him refusing to rent the new stadium to the lacrosse team. But, with an outdoor team owned by either the Broncos or the Mile High Stadium group (I think they are the same thing) then there is no chance of extra money coming the Rapids way in the form of rent in the new stadium.

6. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

7. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    While this is true, like someone said earlier, I don't want them effing up our field.

8. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess (and being the spiteful bastard that I am) is that they did this to A) Replace the Rapids as a summer tennant
    B) Try to erode attendance at the new place
    C) Prevent the Rapids from renting their stadium to an outdoor LAX team

9. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    just like someone said earlier, KSE probably wouldnt buy an Outdoor LAX team or let one play in the new stadium because it would mean competition for the Mammoth. the Outdoor team at Mile High is just a way for the stadium to fill dates once the Rapids leave. the LAX lines hopefully wont be a problem since they dont have all the lines that Football has thus it wont be too hard to clean up

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry. I'm happy to have lacrosse, and I hope they move to the new stadium eventually. I like the game. I don't like that afterbirth that is paraded out at the Pepsi center though.

The marriage of MHSA and Lacrosse is made for divorce. MHSA won't support the team, and the league will need better. Furthermore, without the side show stuff that comes with indoor lacrosse I suspect that lacrosse won't draw very well over the long term. I like the game, but with the space on a full size field a good team maximizes possession, minimizes hitting, and patiently exploits the gaps (see Princeton in the late 90's). That's gonna make for a lot of disappointed fans who show up looking for a brawl and instead watch a bunch of guys play catch with stix.

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
  12. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Yeah Barton is completed and its a very nice facility. they should move a pro team their, perfect capacity and it would have a nice atmosphere.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last time I checked the outdoor lacrosse league only played six home games per season. That's not enough to appreciably damage the field, nor mess with the Rapids schedule.

Carry on...

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    You can put down chalk lines for LAX I believe. The lines don't get piles of sumo wrestlers on them very often as far as I can tell.

Oh yeah ... and go SU Lax!!!

15. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    WOOOOOO!!! Outdoor lax. FC5280 says big f'n deal.