Rapids Off-season 2014-15 Catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Franco Panizo on twitter, the CEO of "Visit Denver" is scheduled to be one of the attendees at Garber/Kronke announcement. Has to be ASG (which is so disappointing, in my opinion)

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in terms of the good/bad announcements, that's somewhere in purgatory.

Considering how cheaply and poorly the Nuggets and Avs are run, I think Josh's new investments in the team would consist of new stationary pads and replacing the fridge in the breakroom.

BulaJacket and jayd8888 repped this.
  3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    An actual DP and spending roster money >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the ASG

That's just my opinion.

IndyRapids04 and BulaJacket repped this.
  4. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    If true, way to go Rapids.. host an ASG where none of your own players will feature.. or is there some mandatory host team players rule?

BulaJacket repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's called the Commissioner's Pick...which is pretty much the only way anyone on our team would ever end up in an All-$tar game.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. Couchtoast

Couchtoast Member

May 22, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems really strange to me that we would get the ASG less than 10 years after last hosting it, especially considering all of the new teams that have since come into the league that havent hosted yet. As a result, it just feels like a really forced "crumb" that MLS is throwing to us given our sorry state.

7. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing with Stans big toys (Rams with their stadium/state move and Arsenal, stadium/ticketing/tv empire, ) taking up so much of his time that Big Stan is handing Rapids over to Josh. That could be bad or good but I would reason to speculate that its good since a more interested owner benefits us, and lets face it, a coma patient would have shown more interest in the Rapids than Stan has the last 5 years.

Dom. FC, 22SteveD and BulaJacket repped this.
  8. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're confusing "interest" with "competence".

Don't.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    N&A nailed it. We're getting it because the opposition is going to be Arsenal.

Tom Collingsworth and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Kroenke is a Kroenke. Window dressing if true.

jayd8888 and Quinn 33 repped this.
  11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It makes for a good event to join forces with problemchild for a protest.

12. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    look for some economic development piece tied in with new Jersey sponsor, Dick addition ( stadium or more likely area development with city & state).
    Or why the government dudes?

13. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and I would think it would have to be at the Dick if the Mayor of CC is there.

JasonMa repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the local politicians are usually at the ASG announcement. It's good PR to have "helped" bring the event to your city/state.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa. I did not see the Klute exit coming. I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I see the 2013 Klute busting down the line, taking the opposition on, before whipping in a dangerous cross or smart back angled pass. I see that 2013 Klute displaying rare skills for an American LB. One potentially earning a run out with the US. On the other hand, I see the 2014 Klute. One that was reluctant, hesitant and overall disinterested in pushing forward despite the clear path. I saw this Klute continually giving attackers too much space and respect. I saw his refusal to mark back post and weak tackling. I witnessed and detested his horrible turnovers. He didn't look like the same player. There was flashes of 2013 but not enough to convince me his 2014 was a "sophomore slump". I hate, hate, hate giving up on LB's because they are such rare commodities. I see both sides of this decision and it was not an easy call. I'm going wait until there is a suitable replacement and he's played a few matches before determining if getting rid of Klute was good or bad.

Stuart95 repped this.
  16. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine the Harrington is the replacement. I think Burch & Herrington are reasonable for the LB position, but I'm curious as to who plays on the right side. I expect that will be another addition still to come.

17. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am not sad that klute is gone- he was a lazy ass last season.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Let's hope that the conversation on this thread doesn't get too much hijacked by talk of the ASG @ DSPG. For me it's a distraction and a match that isn't that interesting. What we should be talking about is the situation on the back line with Klute gone. So perhaps Harrington is his replacement, but if that's the case - as has been pointed out - who takes over on the right? It seems the Rapids have been loading up at CB, but now really need to think about the outside spots. And to me that is one of the most challenging positions on the pitch. Getting it right between attacking and defending is really difficult. Pace, timing, ability to serve the ball, being able to defend one v one are all part of the requisite skill set.

jayd8888, Totoro, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Your 2nd point is the point. I'm dumbfounded they couldn't have received more for him. But Quinn could be right about a bad contract option, we've seen that before.

22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  20. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also depends on the size of the allocation we received from the Crew. Rapids say "significant" so we might have got a screaming deal. Not that we'll ever know though.

Jimmydinho repped this.
  21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Sustained and smart support and investment would still be preferable, but this would be pretty cool, assuming we can get tickets.

If it happens and I'm able to get tickets through being a STH, it would be pretty sad that the 3 greatest benefits of my tickets were to see other teams: this hypotethical Arsenal ASG, the "snowbowl" WCQ, and Sundhage's last match as USWNT manager. (I saw a lot of games in 2010, but not via season tickets.)

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    True. if it's a big chunk and helps bring in an expensive player, that's something. And something the Rapids want to be able to do--develop youngsters and cash in.

23. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I can only forgive losing klute if we bring myers in at rb

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids