Rapids Off-season 2014-15 Catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Here we go:

Related threads:

Early off-season stories:

COMtnGuy, 22SteveD and The Commissioner repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Rapids think Zat Knight has something to offer after his play here my expectations are pretty low in their ability to identify talent this offseason

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yup, there's likely to be a lot of sandwiches. In addition to the usual trouble, as that Post blog post noted, the new CBA could complicate off-season plans.

5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Hoping for a very eventful black Monday.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news bad news:

Good news: With Chivas USA beating San Jose today we don't suffer the indignity of being the last team to lose to a team being contracted. (DC and SJ were the last teams to lose to TB and Miami BTW)

Bad news: With Chivas USA beating San Jose today we suffer the indignity of finishing behind a contracted team and finishing in 8th, the worst finish position in team history.

22SteveD repped this.
  7. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news: MLS isn't Pro/Rel, otherwise we'd be looking at the USL Rapids.

8. Popamatic

Popamatic Member

May 25, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clean house. Clean house now! Don't wait until after the playoffs, don't wait until January like you usually do to start making moves. Now! Realistically I know the Rapids can't sign 20 new players in one off-season, so I guess some have to stay.

9. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seems to me that nothing will change until after the expansion draft. Would hate to bring in people we want and then have a problem with protecting them.

10. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This club has not been good at being proactive, so I have little hope there will be any moves of consequence until after the new CBA. This of course will give TH a handy excuse and the opportunity for plenty of tweets and press releases stating that the club is working hard and preparing for a bright 2015 while not actually doing anything.

22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think moves are allowed until after expansion draft, but given teams have already made some 2015 player signings it's hard to say. Ie Columbus signing the former KC striker whose name escapes me, think he was guy who made heart sign with hands after goals.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara

22SteveD repped this.
  13. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The Rapids failed to win the last 14 games of the season - that's almost half a season. As bad as Rockies ownership is, could the Rockies lose almost half a season, so about 70 games in a row, or even the Avs or Nuggets losing, say, 30 to 35 in a row to end the year, and there is a collective shrug by the ownership and management of the team? I"m pretty sure that any other team would end a season like this with a massive house cleaning. Ie, the Monday morning after the last game, the management - starting from the top - is fired. I am sure that MLS doesn't care, because Don Garber's sole goal in life is a NY versus LA championship with Seattle players guest reffing the game. But MLS should care about what its owners do and don't do - MLS will thrive more with more competitive teams. Dysfunctional ownership is a problem in this league. See, Chivas. I wish there was something to be done about this, but I fear the alternative is even worse (see, Chivas).

Sadly, there is one guy who I think could actually effectuate change. Too bad he pretty much seems to work for KSE (I think Balboa, if he started waves, could get the kind of media attention to make change happen - he is the only guy in Colorado soccer that has that kind of weight - I don't know if Balboa is still a "Rapids Community Ambassador" or whatever he was being called, but since he does the broadcasts on Altitude, I assume he works for KSE).

Either way, I guess I'll enjoy the (crap) sandwich with everyone else and hope that the dumpster fire takes out the management of this team in the meantime.

14. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have absolutely zero hope that 2015 will be any better than this year.

I agree, if the Rapids hold onto Knight after watching his performances with the team this year, I seriously question their ability to evaluate talent.

Most of my pessimism comes from Pablo. Nothing I have seen this year tells me he will be a good coach, and I think the Rapids will give him at least 3 years to prove himself. Pablo took a playoff team and converted them into one of the worst teams in the league. I know the roster changed a little bit from 2013 but not so much to warrant such a decrease in performance.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yep. There seems to be a lot of focus on success early in the season. Seems to me there was a lot of good luck going our way (which I will take any time) during the first part of the season, followed by a lot of bad luck in the second part.
    Injuries certainly had an impact (Drew Moor may be the top reason for the defensive collapse), but tinkering with the lineup both at the beginning of the season (when they should have been building cohesion) and during the second half (when really strange choices were being made) were a major contributor to the collapse. You don't see the highly successful teams making that many lineup changes on a regular basis.

I am fine with Pablo getting another year to get things going, all coaches should have time to get things settled. Just hoping it works out next year as I *really* don't want to go through another rebuilding time.

rod.

jimijam28 repped this.
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part is interesting

Competition on the field also has a deeper meaning: Players on minimum contracts earn $500 every time they enter a game as a substitute, and $1,000 for every game they start.

Irwin unexpectedly made 31 starts last year while on a minimum deal after the Rapids’ starting goalkeeper at the time broke his arm.
    “I pretty much doubled my salary,” he said. “That’s big. But it’s an anomaly.”

22SteveD, jayd8888 and kucsdat repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Dir comments on Torres, I think it's unlikely he returns with way FO handled him this year but the guy has Skill and Technical ability to be great in MLS.

another on Pablo

22SteveD repped this.
  20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I was really really hoping to get on this morning to find that Hinchey and Bravo have been fired. I'm actually disappointed. I guess, it was the ownership's plan to signal to fans you've thrown in the towel midway through a season. Got it, noted.

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ask me they threw in the towel before the season even started (just filled roster holes), they made lip service to improving the team all year to no actual affect. This is the second time (and more extreme) in 3 years this has happened.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ownership's plan is to not lose more than $X on running the Rapids. Presumably, since Hinchey still has his job, mission accomplished.

fortcollins repped this.
  23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

I don't have hope that KSE can rise to a higher standard. The ownership's plan should be to make a killing. They don't have a clue.

Jimmydinho repped this.
  24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Very possible. It was loudly communicated to the fans when they didn't even pretend to give lip-service to the hole in CB.

22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC and Houston are back in Western conference next year. That improvement bar just got a bit higher for 2015.

22SteveD repped this.