PBP: Rapids @ Loons • Playoff Round 1 • Sun., Nov. 21 • 5:30 pm ESPN

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Nov 15, 2020.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Here's my take on the starting XI for the match. Obviously Rubio won't be available and I am thinking that Fraser will want to use more experienced players in Wilson and Benezet rather than Trusty and Galván/Lewis.

lineup(2).png

Shinyashiki has been playing well lately, but I don't think anyone on this roster can replace Rubio and what he brings in the high press. He seems to know when to put pressure on and is good for nicking several passes a match. He is relentless in this role. Let's hope that Shinyashiki has been paying attention and is ready to take over at the point of the press.

AlbertCamus, TheWarmBurger and Rod1916 repped this.
  3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has not officially said what their Quarantine Rules are for this, Story I linked to was for Oct Window. Maybe they change it up for this international window based on testing results.

Just seems like a poor way to treat teams for playoffs.

4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I like this lineup. Rubio instead of Shin would be better, but I like Benezet starting and Lewis being that killer super-sub when the other defense is tired. He could run all over them!

Wilson has had some crap thrown his way (rightfully so in some cases), but he seems to be playing well lately. Just don't need him to melt down.....

Can't wait to see Namli doing his thing. Since I haven't been able to watch a game in some time.

And PLAYOFFS! we made the PLAYOFFS! Let's do some damage and repeat 2010! :)

rod.

Totoro and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I agree. Wilson has had solid CB play this year, and several times has also had to step up and cover for Abubakar if Lalas gets pulled upfield doing his thing. I also like what Trusty has been doing. He’s got the speed and the height to make up for mistakes, but he’s also shown to be smart in his anticipation. I’m good with either of them starting on Sunday honestly, which is a breath of fresh air given our CB history as of late!

My favorite description / nickname for Namli actually came from an away game. Oddly enough, it was when we played Minnesota on Oct 28.

The home announcers kept calling him Namli Twinkle Toes, or saying “here comes twinkle toes Namli, watch out!”

The dude just looks like he skates right through defenders

6. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Projected lineup for the loons:

[​IMG]

SccrDon, Dom. FC and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Seems kind of Goofy ... but that would be L.A.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like Rubio didn't play or make the bench for tonight's Chile v Venezuela match. Don't know if this makes any difference in his ability to play on Sunday night or not.

BTW, Venezuela won 2-1.

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing the same, though all of Minnesota's players are likely back as well, so I think it hurts us more than helps us.

Rod1916 repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I'm actually very happy about this turn of events - honestly.

A lot of people (before our 3 game win streak to close out the season) questioned whether we should even be allowed in the playoffs....Well, we went out there and proved them wrong.

Now, say we got Rubio back, but Minnesota was out their big players - people would say that we had an unfair advantage that MNUFC didn't have to deal with.

Now, it's our best vs their best. That's what you want to see as a fan, in my opinion. You want to see your team do what it can against another team doing what it can. Remember when we beat LAFC at home last year? Sam Vines absolutely ruining Carlos Vela's day? That was EPIC. And it felt epic because we went toe to toe with the best, and won.

I'm actually very excited for Sunday. This should be a really good game. Last time we played MNUFC, we were still showing rust off of the COVID forced break - but we really hung in there. If Abubakar heads the ball over the goal instead of into the goal, that game would have been very different AND we would have a completely different matchup this weekend.

I think we should show well on Sunday, and we will give MNUFC a run for their money. I am confident Fraser is working on a very solid gameplan with the guys right now - and I'm excited to see it in action

AlbertCamus and SccrDon repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I'm perfectly happy if Minnesota had to roll out their U-15s against us and we coast to an easy win. People can talk all they want, what counts is the scoreboard.

15. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agreed. I would have liked our best against their worst.

Paranoid Coyote and JasonMa repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    My modified lineup now that it appears Rubio will be available for this match -

lineup(3).png

Shinyashiki has been playing well recently, but I'm thinking that Fraser is gonna go with Namli for his skills and experience. Of course Rubio will start up top where he will be tasked with spearheading the high press. Nobody does it as well as he does for the Rapids.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Big OOPS on my previous post. Obviously I meant to say "Rosenberry," not "Rosenberg."

18. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps even a move over to the Eastern conference?

Hey, it worked before!

Sports Yak and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    TheWarmBurger repped this.
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Against COVID depleted teams the whole way to the cup! I'd enjoy 10 more years of rage from other teams' fans.

Totoro, Centennial and JasonMa repped this.
  21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It is not ideal, but neither is 2020.

Speaking of not ideal; has anybody seen a chart that has how many times different teams have played each other this season? I'd be interested to see that. I guess Sporting has played Eastern Conference teams a lot. And how many times have LA and Seattle played? I'm really looking forward to these playoffs.

22. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Rapids better be careful:

Sounds like (after some digging around) the first COVID positive test was on Monday. The Miami game will still go on tonight.

The Rapids know all too well what its like to deal with COVID in the locker room and missing key players. Unfortunately, there are no more second chances. If there are players positive....the game will go on.

If the game can't go on, I believe it counts as a forfeit as there is literally no time left for makeup games.

Here's hoping that everyone in the Rapids locker room who caught it is now immune, and every one else is staying safe enough to avoid it.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Since I can actually watch this game I’m going to predict a 4-2 Rapids win.

Sports Yak repped this.
  24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Hey, look whose team won 3-0 over the covid-protocol-depleted Inter Miami.

Paranoid Coyote and AlbertCamus repped this.