Rapids @ Houston 1pm 4/19 {r}

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by fhnkeeper03, Apr 12, 2009.

1. slava29

slava29 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Denver
    "The team I watched the last two weeks is bad. By bad I mean not good. The Rapids have elected to play 2009 with players that failed to produce in 2008. Others may see things in Smith that I don't. Perhaps there are more ways to judge a coach then by the way their team plays on the field, but that's on the top of my list. The team on the field plays poorly. More of my thoughts are here."

I absolutely agree with this (and with the blog). There are so many holes on this team they should be renamed the Swiss cheeses. The midfield is nonexistent in terms of possession, the defenders play scared with the ball (and sometimes without it), and overall there is no cohesion, plan, or organization on the field. I lost count of how many times we turned it over on an errant pass because the recipient went one way while the passer sent it the other way. Yes, every team has a bad game, but these problems are beginning to be consistent.

So, how to fix it with the personnel we have? I have no idea. Since we're playing with 3 center midfielders already, would we be better with Clark at a-mid and Guerrero (if he's not injured) on the left? Cooke starting? Richardson for Medhi?

2. ballso

ballso Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Not playing Cooke full time is absurb.

3. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    Hard to believe against an average Houston team who were clearly off form we couldn't even muster a single shot on target all game? :eek:

Last week against Columbus it wasn't much better.

And at home to KC's second team, there were long periods where we didn't even get out of our half.

This team isn't much fun to watch. I doubt anyone who went to the KC game for the first time - and there were only 11k there anyway - would bother coming back. Putting bums in seats, and all that.

Remember when the way we played was always a huge deal in here in the past? It was always a big deal. A constant source of endless criticism. There were threads and threads devoted to it. Not only did we have to win, but we were expected to look good doing it. We didn't like for there to be any luck involved. Even if we won the MLS Cup, that wouldn't be enough. We had to be dominant doing it.

And yet now, suddenly and mysteriously, nobody seems to care about all that. Its a non-issue. Even if we don't cross the half-way line, as long as we somehow sneak a result at the end its a good thing. Its the 'sign of a good team'. :confused:

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a funny definition of "nobody" considering the posts before you in this thread.

5. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    I guess it's been aout 14 years now that I've been following this team and taping every match. Normally I keep them for about a year or so, but after painfully watching todays match, I just hit the delete button.

I had a lot to say, but after reading most of the your post game comments, I won't say anything because Slava 29, Ballso and FutboCrazy said them for me.

However if it hasn't already been said, let me add the following: The Rapids organization/owner is cheap, and they have not one person with the type of professional soccer experience necessary to run the front office of an MLS team. They did not support their coach by providing him with money to acquire talented players and they have no one making the right decisions when it comes to finding and signing talented players.

I agree with the others concerning this coach as well as his new assistant. IMHO he's inexperienced and he's appears to have done little to improve the play of this team since taking over last year.

Kudo's to Burpo for keeping the game close. Kudo's to Conner for drawing the penalty. However, until Conner Casey learns how to take a penalty kick, all penalties should be taken by some one who knows how, and that I also blame on this coach.

How much steam can you put on the ball with a two step delivery? He made Pat look good on that save. Terry Cooke scores a goal 9 out of 10 times when he takes a penalty kick like that one that Conner missed today. Let's hope the front office gets rid of some of their deadwood and makes an effort to hire a number 10 who can make it enjoyable to watch a Rapids game again...adios:mad:

6. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver
    I really don't think Gary Smith wants a #10. We had one last year, and he sat the bench (Gomez looked good on Fri night, btw). I think Smith wants more of the box-to-box midfielder types, ala Kyle Beckermen.

Rapids were missing Gibbs today (or Harden), as Palguta was schooled a couple times back there. LaBrocca should not be allowed past the midfield stripe, as his offensive skill is non-existant

Casey's run was impressive - didn't know he had that in him. He doesn't have the appearance of someone who can move with pace or agility, but he is deceptively fast and quick.

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Have you done an anaylsys of how the Rapids compare with other MLS teams relative to how much they spend, their salary bucket and how it compares with other teams and the results on the field? Maybe you are right but I've never seen a study of any professional sport in the U.S. which shows money spent correlates to success on the field.

8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Telefutura: Quiero mis dos horas traseras. (Babel Fish Spanish for "I want my two hours back.")

Regarding money spent, Chelsea has really tended to suck since they got all the oil money? Have Manchester City improved with an infusion of cash? Everyone envys/hates the NY Yankees because they do just so much charity work? MLS's salary cap does not apply to bringing in a top shelf coach and a lot of other X,Y,Z, factors. It does apply to players with the one big exception for a DP which we have never taken advantage of by signing one. Columbus without their DP last season was mid-table at best, money matters.

9. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    You registered on this board in 1998? Boy, would I like to have a beer with you some time. Well said, Sir. ;)

10. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    David.... IRT your question .....it's been awhile since I added up the numbers, and frankly, I don't have the time, nor the inclination to bother to do it again.

However, feel free to have at it yourself. Try this site: www.mlsplayers.org/files/3_15_09_salary_info_club.pdf

As you look at the various 2009 salaries you might take note of what some of the other MLS teams pay out to get a truly big name designated player. Below are a couple of names that jump out and get your attention as they relate to my original comments about the Rapids payroll and the players we've acquired.

Blanco (guaranteed salary for 2009) w/Chicago Fire....$2,943,702

Schelotto w/Columbus Crew...$775,000

Emillio w/DC United ......$758,000

Beckham w/LA Galaxy .....$6,500,000

*plus

Donnovan w/LA Galaxy.....$900,000

Angel w/NY Red Bulls ..$1,798,000

Lungberg w/Seattle .......$1,300,000

Huckaby w/San Jose.......$385,000

Now check out what the Rapids will pay our designated player in 2009.

Ivan Guerrero (4 MLS teams in four years w/4 goals and 20 asst's) $161,000

Maybe there is no correlation between paying good salaries to get good players and success in the MLS, but having some of those guys on your team roster sure does help to fill up your stadium with fns who come to see good professional soccer players.

That fiasco I had to watch for 90 minutes today was not very pretty . IMHO it's the result of the mis-management by this organization ever since Uncle Phil sold the team. Nuff said.... gotta watch another game....adios

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: OK, not following...

12. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland
    :confused:Yeah I am lost at this also... Ivan is our DP??? If that's true, how come I never heard this sh!t before?

Also Jason, tell your wife I have fish and chips for the 25th... Her days are becoming numbered.;)

13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Yes, sometimes people who make a lot of money can contribute to championships. So can cheap rookies, journeymen and midlevel players. I'm not looking for anecdotal evidence. I've asked for a study. I'm not holding my breath. Again, I may be wrong, but people will need to do better then to cherry pick some data.

Beckham and Donovan, ummm yeah, money matters.
    Moreno, Emilio and Christian, um, yeah, a lock each year
    Huckerby - Played well, how did San Jose do last year?
    Angel - He's made a great contribution, but without a team around him they are right there with the Rapids.
    GBS for the Crew, yes, he made a big difference, no doubt.
    Houston has done just fine the over the past few years w/o that huge salary.
    New England, yeah they are cheap as well, they must suck every year as well.

Wanna talk Florida Marlins?
    Yanks spend a ton, let's talk about all the happy fans they have. Money matters, that's why when the team crashed and burned the fans were all happy and cheering because the team isn't cheap. Galaxy fans must be living the dream.

Fans love to blame owners for being cheap. I think it's because fans want an easy and quick solution, one that's easily implemented. Open the checkbook. KSE can do that, it's easy, quick. It's hard to sign good players, it won't happen over night and fans aren't willing to wait.

Or maybe they don't like the idea of complaining about the player who's jersey they wear. I remember when the Bronco's won the Super Bowl I saw all those people proudly strutting around with the Bowlen replica suit jackets.

Throwing money at the problem doesn't work any better in the world of professional sports then it does in politics. The issue isn't just money, it's the ability to spend it wisely, sign good players and fit within the salary restrictions. The Rapids can't do it.

14. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just play with 3 forwards and take Mehdi out?

Then we'd at least have an extra guy to chase long balls.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think even your fish & chips will get her to the game next week. ;) She's looking forward to what ever you cook up on May 23rd though.

16. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I just read an article about the game which features quotes from Rapids players about the game.

My summary from here:

17. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado

MLS has a salary cap so you basically can only throw money at one player, your coaching and front office staff. I would argue that at least paying for quality coaches is a good idea.

Most US leagues have salary caps including NFL, NBA, and NHL so player salaries in total are capped.

But in Europe, the richest teams rule. The big four in England have over the last few years been the four richest teams. Man City has just become the exception but they have not gone out and systematically put a team together like Chelsea did. And Arsenal is in fourth every year, leading some people to think that Wenger's frugal ways are hurting their championship chances.

In Spain, Barca and Real are by far the two richest teams and have recently been dominant. In Italy, the richest teams are Juve, Inter and Milan. Those three dominate.

And in MLB, last years playoff teams were

Team------------------------Payroll Rank
    Tampa Bay-------------------29
    Boston-----------------------4
    White Sox--------------------5
    Angels-----------------------6

Dodgers----------------------7
    Cubs ------------------------8
    Philadelphia------------------13
    Milwaukee--------------------15

The top teams not in there were 1. Yankees with their refusal to believe starting pitching is as important as hitting, 2. Detroit the abject disaster, and
    3. Mets with the gas can bull pen who fell apart late the last two years. So money and brains will dominate. Tampa Bay is the obvious exception with its years of intelligent draft choices that will all leave at free agency.

There can be the odd exceptions but honestly a rich team has to screw up for a less rich team to sneak in and win.

The only things the rapids can throw money at are a quality coach, a good front office staff and a designated player. Pending this season's outcome, people may cry for more money thrown at the positions occupied by Smith and Plush and adding a quality player.

18. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    After all the excitment of signing Guerrero we have yet to see him play. Is there some good reason Smitty has not had him in the line-up even as a sub? Didnt get to see "Jackie Chan" in his brief appearance but he was touted as being someone who is fast and works hard. Dont understand why Smitty keeps parading out the same 11 each week as though he is saying "You will keep playing until you learn to get it right". The one thing the Rapids have got to do is mark the opposing team. How many times did we see Houston players completely unmarked passing the ball around. And please, please let Terry take the penalties in future! The team had better do better this next game at home or we will have an uphill battle to get (casual) fans out to the games.

19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    funny and genius!

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Plain and simple. They sucked today. sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked.

and they must try to un-suck soon. My god, they didn't even complete more than five passes the entire game. Did they ever once maintain possession deep at all? Did Omar ever make an effort to run to the corner before Cooke was out there?

Before they played soft in the middle and with Labrocca on the wing it somehow broke down wide too, funny how that happned, geez what should we do next weekend? It seemed like last season he made the jump from reserves to start and hold-it-down-in-a-pinch type quality but I don't see the next progressive step yet............... BUT how much of that is on Medhi's shoulders?

Where was Clark? The team did play better in the 2nd half, like from a 2 to a 4, but that is all.

Also, have the Rapids played a good first half yet this season?

21. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well said!

Houston played soccer while the Rapids continued to play kickball. Keeping the ball on the surface and connecting 2, 5 & 10 yard passes is much easier, more sensible and more productive in modern soccer. Trying to connect with 40 yard lofted balls is difficult and boring at best. It seems that possession is not a priority in the Rapids style of play.

40 years ago the FA conducted a study which showed that most goals came when the possessing team played forward with fewer than 5 passes, thus the classic English Highway 1 long ball. Seemingly Smith is mired in the past. "His team" Arsenal, FC have not played that style since the 1 - nil to the Arsenal days. Under Wenger they have become the most beautiful side in football playing the ball with quick, short often 1-touch passes everywhere on the pitch. They are unafraid to play it out of the back rather than kick and hope!

In 2009, the Rapids results have been fair to good although their play remains dismal. Smith seems to be a very good "media" guy, he says all of the right things about the franchise, the players and the team but he remains committed to lousy soccer. The words are all meaningless if they do not translate into quality play on the pitch and wins in the record book!

22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I haven't seen said study but I think (just guessing) that it would have been "most goals (from the run of play)" as most goals percentage wise, at least in many competitions, are from set pieces (and making a big deal out of them coming from less than 5 passes would seem a little skewed). I've dealt with a youth coach that lived by that 'less than 5 passes and shoot' concept and they sometimes won but were usually too tired to prevail in finals from having had to play so much defense (lots of running) all tournament long.

Having said all that, how are we doing on set pieces in general this year? Obviously a little better attempt and follow up on our pk yesterday could have gotten us a point and taken 2 away from a Western Conference team but I asked in general.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half against Chivas was decent.

24. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I understand, that's why I usually caveat my comments (I've made them many times in the past) with "in U.S. professional sports". Even I will admit in a completely free market, the richest are likely to prevail. :)
    "Exception" suggests there is a "rule". I've yet to see that 'rule" validated.
    My opinion is the same here as it is for players. I will say money should not be a barrier to hiring the right, within reason. There are as many examples of teams hiring overpaid coaches and failing as overpaid players failing.

Ideally, money (coach or player) is not a barrier and may be part of a solution. But no more then part.

25. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    Jason and Nate..... What I was attempting to say about our Designated Player was that he really doesn't exist. In 2008 the Rapids traded our designated player slot to DC United for Christian Gomez for a 2 year period, which DC then used to give Luciano Emillio a pay raise, which took him above the normal salry cap. So....after getting less than a 100% effort out of Christian last season, Smith gives up on him and DC then trades back their slot to us, along with Ivan Guerrero and Gomez returns to DC miraculously ready to play again.

So once again, we still have no designated player, only Ivan, who continues to sit on the bench for reasons known only to Gary Smith and our designated player slot remains unfilled. However, I'm sure those clubs like the Rochester Rhino's will continue to help us fill the talented player void that currently seems to exist.

I agree 100% with Dom FC when it comes to the use of salary cap money. Those rules don't apply to using your money to hire a top named coach.
    I don't think the Rapids emptied out their piggy bank when they hired FC and Smith.

IMHO.... a really good organization would also be spending some of their funds on those other x y z factors that Dom FC mentioned.

Maybe they should spend a little on Spanish lessons for the coach, so that he can communicate more effectively with some of his players. I also think it's important that the Rapids remain an ethnically diverse team. Like some others here on this board, I'm not a big fan of the British game, and methinks neither are many of the local hispanic fans in the Denver area. This was evidenced by the size, and enthusiasm, of the crowd I saw around me at the recent Mexico vs Bolivia game. I compared the crowd at that game with what I saw on TV for the home opener.

Maybe some additional funding could be shelled out to improve the quality of their TV broadcasts and possibly more advertising in Spanish would help. In this regard I can only wonder how many more seats you would fill if we had some quality players from Mexico and/or Central America wearing a Rapids uniform. It might be a hard sell, but if the talent is on the roster, I think the fans will come. Quien sabe?

Finally.... one last important shortfall that needs to be addressed, is to find an English language translator to do the post game interviews of Terry Cooke. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell he said after that game when he scored that super goal from the free kick. Gotta run....:)