PBP: Rapids host SKC, Sat. August 7, 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Aug 6, 2021.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rapids host Sporting KC at 7pm on Saturday. Be there or be square as the kids used to say. My prediction, 3-0 Rapids. They played midweek and we didn’t.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two notes

The winner of tomorrow night's game will be first in the West on PPG, unless the Galaxy win on Sunday

I70 closed Westbound through Denver this weekend due to construction, plan accordingly leaving the game.

Andy126, AlbertCamus and Sports Yak repped this.
  3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Boy, I really need a starting lineup before predicting this game.

Never liked KC. Sure going to miss Vines. I sure enjoyed watching him play.

Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak, Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I'm with Sports Yak on this. Many more questions than answers right now about the who will be available for the game and the line up. Will the new additions be available? Will Basset be held out pending a possible sale? Will Acosta be rested from his grueling month with the USMNT? If so, what will the midfield look like? Is Rubio healthy? Will the Altitude Presents app on my phone actually allow me for the first time to access my badges and tickets???

Sports Yak and unkiemark repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Excellent question: I'm not a proponent of iPhones, but the wallet on mine works well for tickets. I'd be nervous about Altitude anything.

Is it a smokey in the Denver/Commerce City area as Boulder. So smokey here, would smoke be an advantage for the Rapids?

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    @rapidsmarc - use the Altitude app to download your tickets into your wallet. It’s quick and easy and you’ll be able to pull up your tickets at the gate very easily.

Andy126 repped this.
  8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    While KFC is a strong team, the Rapids are also in a good run of form lately. We are unbeaten in our last 7 games against Kansas City at home, as well as unbeaten in our last seven home games (5W-0L-2D) this season. The last time we played KC it was at Children's Mercy Park, in a game Fraser will look to forget quickly, as he rolled out the failure of the 5-3-2. If the Rapids win tonight, it will be the 200th regular season home win for the Burgundy Boys.

Kansas City traveled to LAFC where they beat the snot out of them 4-1, with LAFC's lone goal coming in the 82nd minute. Gadi Kinda and Alan Pulido both went 70+ min in this game, with Salloi (who's making a VERY strong bid for MVP this season), Illie Sanchez, Shelton, and Fontas all going the full 90. So, thankfully the team as a whole will be on short rest, and traveling from LA to Denver isn't exactly easy either.

Busio did not play in that game, however, he was just sold overseas on Thursday for some hefty change so he won't be playing against us either. While short rested, look for Vermes to have KC come out swinging early in this one. KC won't be able to keep up for the full 90, so they will probably look to get control of the possession early, and score early as well.

Tonight in all likeliness marks the return of Acosta. I doubt Kaye starts, but he will probably make a substitute appearance after a week of training with the team. Acosta will need to be a pivotal player tonight in his usual box to box role, disrupting KC's run of play, and connecting the attacking pressure.

With Sam Vines' departure, we will also probably see Trusty at LB again, as Esteves will need time to get acclimated to both the altitude and the team. Sao Paulo is at 2400 ft, so not sea level, but not the mile high either. We are also "awaiting his ITC and P-1 Visa" so who knows exactly how long before he cracks the XI.

I could be completely wrong on Kaye not starting, and Trusty at LB, but I imagine the XI will be:

upload_2021-8-7_14-52-33.png

Unless I'm mistaken, Wilson served his Yellow Card Suspension in the last game. Also, while Galvan came off with muscle cramps in the last game, I haven't seen any news to indicate he won't start tonight.

If Galvan and Wilson can't go, then we may see Trusty move inside, and Beitashour slot in, and either Lewis or Shinyashiki come in and start for Galvan.

This will be a hard fought game, against a battle tested KC on good form. I think if we survive KC's opening onslaught during the first 10min, begin to boss the possession early, keep it clean and keep KC chasing the ball from about the 25th min forward, we can squeak out a result here and keep it to a cool 1-0 win and Yarbrough with man of the match honors with 6 saves.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    In addition to KFC having played at LAFC Wednesday they follow this match with a League Cup game at home v Leon on Tuesday. They may not take the League Cup seriously, but with fixture congestion it seems that Vermes will have to rotate the squad to some extent.

Figuring out who will be available for the Rapids is interesting.

• I concur that Esteves won't be available.

• Will Acosta be given a bit of rest time given the load he carried for the nats in the Gold Cup?

• If Bassett is selected I assume that means a transfer isn't imminent.

• Lewis having only played in the first group match of the Gold Cup could be jazzed to prove himself.

• No doubt that Kaye will be available, but will he play?

• Are Wilson and Rubio healthy?

Massive match for the Rapids to prove themselves and keep the pressure on the others in the top 4 or so. Plus they have one or two games in hand with those around them.

If Acosta plays will be continue to be the destroyer we saw in his lat two matches with the Rapids as well as the nats? Does pairing him with Price takeaway some of his license to roam and disrupt?

If the Rapids can go into the final 30 minutes or so with a lead or a tie then they should be in good shape. And if that's the case it could be Badji and Lewis time.

Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Vermes will rotate players shows a lack of understanding Vermes' tendencies when it comes to fixture congestion. :ROFLMAO:

TheWarmBurger and unkiemark repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado Rapids vs Sporting Kansas City
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (9PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Alyssa Nichols
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Andy126 repped this.
  13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    #13 TheWarmBurger, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Acosta out tonight for “health and safety protocol” meaning he probably came into contact with a Covid 19 case, or otherwise.

Lewis also not in the 18, but not listed out with injury.

Rubio, Wilson, and Shinyashiki all on the bench, and Kaye gets thrown right into the fire with the start tonight! Should be an interesting game!

https://www.coloradorapids.com/news/roster-notes-colorado-rapids-vs-sporting-kc

I imagine Galvan and Barrios will stay high, and Bassett will be the one to do the most defensive runs tonight. Price and Warner will sit deep, and Kaye will be the main connect-the-dots guy in offensive possession.

Go get the three points tonight guys!

14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporks are an aging but still very tough team. A win would be great and the Kids need to start stepping up against the teams at the top of the West.

Andy126 repped this.
  15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, looking like Bassett transfer is not close.

16. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrios already giving them fits. What a difference he makes for us!

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup....I still hate Peter Vermes

JasonMa and Stuart95 repped this.
  18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We seem to be focused on controlling the middle of the pitch and willing to concede width. Working so far 20' - SKC hasn't been dangerous yet.

19. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    At the game…Pretty sure they’re in a 5-3-2 with Galvan at LW and Beitashour at RW. Cole and Barrios upfront. Warner, Price and Kaye at midfield. It’s an interesting twist.

SccrDon and Stuart95 repped this.
  20. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best chance of the half falls to Price but Melia with the save.

Not a whole lot in that first half. Hoping for more in the second.

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melia has had some great saves. Rapids had great momentum going into the half. Still very nervous that Sporks will steal three points with a quick goal followed by bunker ball.

22. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Not to mention that both Pulido and Russell are on the bench for KC. We need to nab a goal before they come in, they are game changers on offense.

SccrDon, Andy126 and Stuart95 repped this.
  23. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thru 60' our entire attack has been either trying to spring Barrios or him trying to make a killer pass, which isn't his strength.

We're wasting Galvan out on the left - none of the backs nor Price ever seem to look that way. And Bassett has had little impact so far.

Andy126 repped this.
  24. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So close by Lewis!

25. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needed to do better with that. Probably our chance for 3 points.

Andy126, JasonMa and Stuart95 repped this.