Rapids Home Grown/ Youth updates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a way for players coming out of Charlotte (and our South Dakota, Vegas, and ABQ partnerships) to count as HGs for the Rapids but I don't know what that process or what requirements need to be met.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand it's the same HG process as a kid here in Denver, the mystery rules appear to after signing with MLS side or fighting to go into draft over signing with HG Side.

What it means for the kids is no or little "pay to play", It's basically free with Rapids covering the expenses (travel, uniforms, etc). At same time NCAA allows this (Eligibility wise) as long as no compensation is directly provided to kids.

22SteveD repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed former Rapids youth player Patrick Slogic has shown up in the pictures from training. He grew up in the Springs and is signed by Charlotte for 2015. I don't know if he's under consideration by the club or if the club is just giving him a chance to get some early training in before he travels to Charlotte for their preseason.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well......He fits the mold of big defender. IIRC, isn't be 6'5" or 6'6"?? I'm guessing Patrick's getting an extended run out with the Rapids before heading to Charlotte. I suspect since he is known to the organization, performed well with the Rochester Rhinos, and will be in Charlotte that they will keep a very close eye on him. It would make sense given our defensive depth.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else notice that T Dia, from Mountain Vista H.S., played the last 45 minutes with Sporting KC in our match last night? I just looked it up and he is officially signed with KC this year. I remember him playing in high school against us. Very good player. Too bad he was not a "homegrown" since I'm pretty sure he played club soccer with Real Colorado. He probably knew some of our Colorado local guys like Shane, Dillon and maybe Oscar Montoya.

m vann, Totoro and kucsdat repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still say that Rapids passing on signing him to HG deal was a waste if not a mistake. Guy was a top collegiate talent regardless of how his combine went (after Rapids had already passed on him)

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I confess I don't know much about him but numerous people, more in the know than me, have said the same thing. I was told James quietly was hoping the same thing but he and the RFO never had any serious discussions. I know college stats mean little to professional scouts but 75 games, 22 goals, and 22 assists should at least merit a trial. Oh well............ I will see how he progresses with SKC before determining if the Rapids made a mistake.

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids U18 DA tied Regis University 2-2 at Regis yesterday afternoon.
    Goals by Brooks Crawford (98) and Enoch Mushagalusa (96)

3 x 30 minute periods
    1st 30 min was first eleven from both squads (Rapids DA included Pittinari as D-Mid) and ended 0-1 to Regis
    2nd 30 min was mix of U18 and U16s and mixed squad of Regis. Both Rapids' goals scored in this period.
    3rd 30 min was mix of U18 and U16s and mixed squad of Regis. Regis scored via penalty.

10. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where can youth game schedules be found?

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dredgfan repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS article on Youth Academies has some quotes from Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith helped the Colorado Rapids win an MLS Cup title in 2010, serving up the ball that Conor Casey scored in the championship game. Now he helps plot the course for the club's youth system, which has produced pros like Shane O'Neill and Dillon Serna.
    “A lot of the players that I'm coaching right now in the academy system watched me play for the Rapids,” the Scotsman told MLSsoccer.com. “It's up to the players to determine their own pathway – we have a saying, that we like the players to be the protagonists in their own development. And as a coach, my job is to try and help guide them and be a part of that development, though it's the player that ultimately drives themselves. Having been a player myself, I think it carries some weight.
    “It's a benefit in the sense that when I'm giving information to the players, it's not just a random coach who says, 'Yeah, I played professional and I played college and I played this and that.' It's someone the players actually watched, so they have a direct association with that coach.”

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/rapids-home-grown-youth-updates.1867489/page-26

TopDrawer talks about how they come up with Youth Academy player Ranks (New Rankings just came out)
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...ail&utm_term=0_8340315a79-7fc9b8fe29-31339885

dredgfan and jayd8888 repped this.
  13. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never found actual schedule for the older groups or reserves. Do i need a new phone?

14. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the Rapids website doesn't have a link to the schedules. All three DA teams travel to Sporting KC this weekend for doubleheaders.

Link to schedules here: http://rapd.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1399829

dredgfan repped this.
  15. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he said everything was there.... Jk

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol- I should of known better to assume the Rapids Youth Schedule tab would actually pull up a game schedule...

jayd8888 repped this.
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those interested, A look at Pachuca youth development.

TM: When did it all begin?
    MG: 1996 was the first generation, the first cohort that started from age 10, so about 10 years (ago). You're watching them now. The players that are breaking now into first division - "Chucky" (Lozano), "Guti" (Gutierrez), Osvi (Rodriguez), (Rodolfo) Pizarro, well Pizarro was a slightly different story -- those were the first generation that came when they were 10.
    TM: What was the role of Dutchman Hans Westerhof, who enjoyed a long and successful coaching career in Mexico at both Chivas and Pachuca, in aiding the development when he came to the club in 2011?
    MG: His role was very important because we were very good at scouting, very aggressive at scouting and very good at recruiting because we had a package that was interesting enough. But Hans came and really helped the development part of the players. Now we got the best players, how are we going to develop them? And he was key in that moment in developing a style of play and in introducing everything about fitness, game recovery, performance analysis.

http://www.espnfc.us/mexican-liga-m...he-secret-of-pachuca-youth-success-in-liga-mx

Virginian repped this.
  18. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U18 Rapids play Houston Dynamo at 10am this Saturday at DSGP turf fields. U16s and U14s play afterward. The young guys could really use your support- games are free and are the last home games until the end of January.

The U18s played tough last week against FC Dallas, losing 0-1 off a defensive error. The 16s lost 1-3.

19. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What's the status of Ricardo Perez? Looks like he was pretty highly rated a couple of years ago and is still currently at Creighton, but I have no idea if he's still on course for a professional career, if he's dropped off a bit, or if the Rapids even remember he was in their system.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #646 m vann, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Ricardo, a Junior, started most if not all the matches for Creighton this past season and had a respectable 6 goals and 3 assists mostly in a hybrid #10 role. This was his first season as a full fledged starter. He was a "spot" starter his first two seasons. I don't think Ricardo is quite ready to compete on the professional level but he seems to be rapidly improving his game. It would not surprise me in the least to see him amongst the best Seniors next season and contend for a All-American nod. IIRC, he was named to the Big East All Tournament team and was 2nd team all conference. The Big East is loaded with talent -- probably the best in the country.

jayd8888, fortcollins and GreatGonzo repped this.
  22. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on this? I think he would be a great signing for HGP for the Rapids. Might even be a good fit for the attacking MF that PM deploys so regularly.

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone that is associated with Ricardo, albeit loosely, told me he has been training with a few of the Rapids players during his winter break. I have no idea if this is true. I have no idea is this guy is even credible. Ricardo's name just popped up in a general conversation. I took it with a grain of salt.

24. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there some info out there that makes you think this would be a great signing?

Less then 1% of college players will ever set foot in an MLS camp, even "star" players will be passovered. I see nothing now that points to this being anything more then a Davy Armstrong type signing. Give him another year with Herbers (#6 pick in this draft) gone from Creighton to see what he can do.

m vann repped this.
  25. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Davy, Shane or Serna, all were HGP. At some point, if they are good enough, cash could be made off their sale. Davy obviously didn't amount to much but Shane had a good profit from his sale and I see Serna, given the minutes and experience, possibly becoming Andy Najar-esque for this play style for DCU. Which made MLS a pretty penny I believe. Stretch I know, but could given the right support.

Perez will have to shine this season and if so, along with last year, would be a good asset to any team, MLS depth or USL level.