Rapids at Whitecaps: June 16, 5 pm MDT P/I/P

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COphysicsDave, Jun 10, 2012.

1. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the match between the 'Caps and the Dynamo and Vancouver looks pretty good. What lineup will Oscar pull out of his sleeve this time? Who comes back from injury and who doesn't? Does our defense finally get it together (my money is unfortunately on no, assuming Wynne is kept out)? Nice to see the Rapids back in league action after the break.

2. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Oh yeah, this forum exists. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with 3-week breaks in action.

In light of the Clavijo-esque, great-one-week, poor-the-next identity this team has taken on...I'm predicting a win.

3. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    The whitecaps looked pretty good this weekend against Houston. Koffee and Mattocks will be tough to defend and some of the Rapids may be a little over rested. Look for their usual slow start and to pick it up at the half. Would love to see Wynn back on the pitch.

4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The excitement for this game is palpable, here.

5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    US matches and the Euro have me distracted, also as someone else said there is starting to be a little Fernando-esque feel to the team

6. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the break

7. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not real optimistic about this one, unfortunately. It'll be nice to be getting some guys back from injury, but without Wynne, I think our D is still too shaky. The 'Caps have quite a few offensive weapons: Le Toux, Hassli, Chiumiento, Camilo and Mattocks looked good this past weekend. Our leaky backline, combined with way too much rest and being on the road is just a bad combination. 2-0 loss.

8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're probably right given the Whitecaps form this year. However, I'd be happy with a 1-1 tie.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pic just posted to Facebook by the Rapids of the team at the airport includes Moor, Mullan, and Casey. :D

10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turf field so not sure who from IR would be able to go 90, but even subbing we have much better depth except at CB still.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The genius's at MLS.com have unanimously picked Vancouver to win. They give the Rapids less of a chance then Toronto at SKC. Of course YTD, none their prognostications have reached the success level of a coin flip ;).

Jason - you're saying Casey isn't playing? Also, have you ever not picked Cascio to score ;)

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    For me the biggest question is defense. If the Rapids are organized and confident on the back line, they can keep themselves in the game. It's gonna be important to not let themselves get down a goal early and give the Whitecaps even more confidence than they already have.

On a side note, it seems that Smith is available for selection. If that is the case wouldn't it be interesting to see him paired with Rivero in the midfield. It seems they both have the potential make quality service to other attacking players.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also am going with 2-1 Vancouver. Reasons are our D and they played last week- thus sharper.

I do not expect coming off DL Conor Casey or Jaime Smith to start but hope they see some 2nd half time.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said he wouldn't start. He may not even sub in due to turf and schedule but there's a chance we'll see him off the bench.

And this is only the 5th time in 14 games I've predicted Cascio to score. ;)

16. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Since there are three options to choose regarding results, the MLS editors are actually doing better than a coin toss, though that comparison really does not apply. But if I had a 6-sided die with W - L - T written on two sides each, I might expect a 33% chance of any one of those coming up randomly on a roll. Given the editors 40%+ averages, it appears they have beaten the odds.
    They probably would have given a draw or two with maybe one win to CO if they were playing here. If I had to put money on this, I would have to pick VAN too. But I think we have a fighting chance for a draw.

17. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Huh? They are picking a result. The result is either correct or not. Just like a coin toss.

18. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, you are correct with that statement, but picking between heads or tails (two choices) is different than picking between win, lose, or tie (three choices). Statistically (I am not remotely a statistician) you would expect choosing randomly between win or lose (only) to replicate a coin toss i.e., 50% accuracy (if a draw was not an option in the game). But with win, lose, or tie, you would expect that choosing randomly between those three would result in less than 50% accuracy.... i.e., approx. 33%. The editors at MLS are doing better than simple random selection. I only brought up this diatribe because I figured you were comparing random coin tossing to random selection of game results. Maybe that wasn't the case.

19. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per mrs jamie smith jame has not made the trip since the GC situation isnt completed yet

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Just to be contrarian all stay with the 2 - 1 scoreline but predict it goes our way, when inconsistent becomes predictable the upside can be a pleasant surprise -- like a road win. Now my thinking may include expecting that our scores will be a pk and an og and they will be limited to a single goal due to an early red card more than due to our ever-shifting back line, but it still would (could) add up to 2 - 1.

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ackk- Palguta starting, maybe he can head one in for each he gives up

Edu better show something this time

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pickens
    Kimura - Moor - Palguta - Freeman
    Rivero - Larentowicz - Castrillon
    Mullan - Edu - Cascio
    Subs: Ceus, Zapata, Nane, Henao, Thompson, Casey and Hill.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell was Moor doing on that defense? Got beat outside and inside before Pickens saves.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mattocks is going to be a problem for sure

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012