Rape/Sexual Assault Culture - Part 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe not. Then again, my son dated a young woman with a similar background, albeit while not knowing her back story. So such relationships do occur without predatory intent.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a work environment and he had a habit of dating girls from work.He knew.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, he presented it as a joke... as part of his 'act'. It was more in the form of a nod and a wink that, 'I'm saying this stuff but I'm not really like that'.

Like I say, not dissimilar to Cosby back in the day...

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the thing I find most shocking. That something we're now told was 'common knowledge' wasn't common knowledge to the rest of us. It was just common knowledge to certain people in that industry... and they did nothing about it.
    No. That's just 20/20 rear vision I'm afraid, despite stuff like this...

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, you say it's not 'the' point but it's 'a' point and a pretty important one at that. If what is being claimed is true he quite clearly has committed several criminal offences and we have to have some way of differentiating between that and what BG just said about some fella who 'made a woman feel uncomfortable'.

I mean any fella who's ever asked a girl out and got rebuffed has probably 'made them feel uncomfortable' but there's a world of difference between that and raping someone. There's even a world of difference between a fella who's tried to kiss a girl and got pushed away and some guy trying to take a girl's underwear off as one of the claims about brand is IIRC.

If we're now saying that despite him committing several criminal offences it doesn't matter if he gets away with them that's a pretty unfortunate position to be in, isn't it?

soccernutter repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who know English comedian Jimmy Carr, he does a bunch of material that involves one of the other personalities on a show, Rachel Reilly. A bunch of the stuff is risqué, but he has said many times that when he comes up with material, he checks in with her to see if it is okay. Now, I'm uncomfortable as there is a power dynamic there that he has over her, but he is making the effort as he is conscious of what he is doing.

This is decidedly different form Russel Brand, who never seemed to care, and his general flamboyance about life seemed to be a driver of his behavior.

I was probably common knowledge enough that it should have been investigated by his employers far before now. I mean, his body of work certainly crossed the line into inappropriate enough.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why we, men, need to have this discussion amongst ourselves sometimes because we can then point out signs to each other that we missed.

Belgian guy, russ, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's an obvious thought that occurs about that story... if he'd been confronted when his behaviour was just unpleasant and, (I assume), 'creepy', would he have continued that behaviour and it possibly become more ingrained.

One thing the met police racism and sexism stuff showed is that these people don't just 'get better'. Being a sexual predator isn't like a cold... you don't 'get over it'.

Actually, in that regard. I'm in the middle of watching this with Emily Maitlis and Lewis Goodall...

The thing about this is, it seems similar to Laura Kuenssberg's piece on BBC 'State of Chaos' documentary where she doesn't seem to have ANY self awareness of her part in the story.

These are people in the news media who you'd like to think would have some knowledge, at least about some of the stories concerning him and yet, didn't really treat what he'd presented as 'jokes' as anything other than 'jokes'... despite the fact that Maitlis, in particular, had interviewed Brand in 2017.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    soccernutter repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it's important to say that those studies seem to be about people who have been recognised as sexual predators. What we're talking about here are people who seem to have gone unrecognised which I think makes a difference.

IOW if the person that BG was talking about had been confronted about his behaviour earlier maybe he'd have realised that what he was doing was wrong or, maybe more to the point, that other people saw it as unacceptable.

If these individuals get the idea that what they're doing is fine what reason do they have to stop.

11. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sigh.

Of course he should be investigated and charged if appropriate. But that is a different story with all the structural reasons of a failed justice system where offenders are seldom reported or charged. AFAIK no woman ever made a criminal complaint to the police about him.

The point here is not "why didn't people tell the public" if it was an open secret

It is about structural failings in the media industry yet again. Journalists can't just go on tv or in print and accuse him of these things without a shit tonne of work (as has now been done). But organisations can just say "sorry but we've decided not to work with you anymore". It's a failure of the people with the power i.e media bosses

I feel like pundits are turning this into a failure of journalism when it is not that

charlie15, russ and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Dude just no. Maitliss does not have a part in this story.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I've experienced the "open secret" thing before.

Basically there was a bunch of industry criminality slash dubious behaviour from 10 years ago that everyone knew about and had war stories of, that began to break through into the media. There was the same coverage of how could all this have happened, why did no one say anything.

But of course there is a big difference between hearing war stories in a drunken convo and actually going in national media. People give journos tips of where to look, but backing it up is very difficult.

Trump's criminality is a great example of this.

soccernutter and Belgian guy repped this.
  15. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will celebrate when this fascist creep is locked up in jail.

Cassidy Hutchinson, the former Trump aide turned crucial January 6 witness, says in a new book she was groped by Rudy Giuliani, who was “like a wolf closing in on its prey”, on the day of the attack on the Capitol.

Describing meeting with Giuliani backstage at Donald Trump’s speech near the White House before his supporters marched on Congress in an attempt to overturn the 2020 election, Hutchinson says the former New York mayor turned Trump lawyer put his hand “under my blazer, then my skirt”.

The Jitty Slitter and xtomx repped this.
  16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did her mental health issues make it not ok to get involved with her?

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She should have slapped the shit out of him. He's what- 70 years old? What's he gonna do?

cachundo and charlie15 repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use his power and influence to destroy her career.

luftmensch repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Somebody has to take the L to get rid of him.

She slaps the shoe polish out of his hair and screams loudly and repeatedly at him to not touch her inappropriately again, it's less likely to happen to another woman.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I have been wondering that too. Women who have depression issues shouldn't be permitted to be in relationships?

I also wonder why it is assumed that one employee, even a boss, would know another employee's health history. Ain't nobody at my company knows mine.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    BG is probably one of the most well-meaning posters here, but you're not going to get a response that can stand up to logic and reason. You just aren't.

I think most of you are a little crazy myself, lol

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #247 Bootsy Collins, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Indeed I am. Which is why I'm asking this question of him. I'm wondering if I wasn't supposed to get involved with anyone.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not to speak for BG but i clearly understood him to mean that these sociopaths are good at seeking out vulnerable people to exploit, not that a bipolar person can't date.

soccernutter, Pønch, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #249 Bootsy Collins, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    That doesn't line up with what was said, though. He said that the reason he thought their relationship was "a bit distasteful" was specifically because "this woman had been battling depression and bipolar disorder for years and was no more than six months removed from her most recent period of being institutionalized when they started the affair." Her mental health history made it distasteful.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My point was more that a member of senior management - who was later found out to be a predator - should probably not get involved with a subordinate who is six months removed from a serious mental illness crisis.

Interpreting that as "bi-polar people should not date" is kind of extreme.