Rant alert (TV)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MeridianFC, Jul 31, 2002.

1. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    [rant]The no United on TV, especially the away games, is really starting to piss me off. I mean wtf? How are we supposed to keep up with the team, and don't give me the internet update thing, it just ain't the same. Alright, I'm glad they're doing the internet thing, but sheeesh.

I want my United TV.
    [/rant]

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Amen, but I'm kinda glad this game wont be on TV, I'm thinking embarassment, and it will save me some aggrevation. Nothing worse than watching DC on the road, missing half our team, and playing Lazo Frickin throw me a bone here Alavanja.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    \

I agree completely..

This team on the road has been unwatchable.. The only game they played even remotely well was the opener against LA where they were about 5 minutes away from stealing 3 points with a man down for 65 minutes.. Who knows, if we win or even draw that match, it could have set an entirely different tone to the season, but alas, we collapsed and now the rest is sad sad history...

It would be a whole lot different if this team were merely mediocre on the road, but this current lot are worse than pathetic and they are steamrolling towards the worst road record in MLS history..

I said it about a month ago and I'm still sticking by it, this team will not win a road match this season..

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To not have games on tv leading up to the All-Star game (and post World Cup) ain't too helpful if you're trying to put butts in seats at RFK.

(yeah I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I heard you ranting here Kelly so I thought I'd join in).

K

5. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this sux. Is the game at least on (english language) radio?

6. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    nope, United dowsn't have an English radio broadcasting contract, only spanish. the webcast is the only way to hear anything about the game.

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr Zack is this situation going to be rectified next season. The lack of coverage is pathetic. Comcast should at least feel compelled to televise our road games, what about putting the ones they can't show live on tape delay? We're pleased that there is a webcast, but this is Major League Soccer, not a minor league deal. Maybe you should sit down with some people that will handle it accordingly. Selfishly, I hope it's Comcast because that means I can still watch the games, but we need UnitedTV.

8. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict you will see as many United goals without TV coverage as you would have if the game had been broadcast.

9. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    haha unfortunately he is probably correct, Q2 might leave MLS after seeing that crap field Chicago plays on as well.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem here is ratings, pure and simple. MLS had to buy airtime for it's games this year. The also had to include WC 2002, 2006 and WWC 2003 in order to make the package more desirable to ABC/ESPN. Comcast already has poor ratings overall, so if MLS games rate even lower we will be stuck with spotty coverage losing airtime to Major League Lax games, of all things.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe it's a good thing Gazza didn't go to Naperville.

12. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I'm trying to remember the last time I sat down to watch D.C. United on TV and am drawing a blank.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    4th of July against KC??? I'm not so sure either.

14. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a matter of ratings then perhaps we need to start a campaign to get every who is going to the game to switch on COMCAST before they head out to the stadium. A few thousand more TV's switched onto the game couldn't hurt.

TS.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apples and oranges, isn't it? I mean there's the league deal with Disney Networks (that includes the 4:00PM Saturday matches and the World Cups) and there's United's deal with Comcast. What does one have to do with the other? And haven't DC United telecasts on Comcast/HTS historically pulled in pretty decent ratings in the DC area (beating local NHL ratings, for example)?

16. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    You are a wise prognosticator.

But, I heard Dave Johnson on the radio this morning on WTOP reporting live from Naperville. Why is he in Naperville if there is no English language radio or television?

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United has played so many stinkers over the past few years that their ratings are poor as well. I brought up the ESPN/ABC deal to show an example of how bad MLS's overall ratings are. See both are fruits...........;)

18. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Dave will probably be doing the webcast later

K

19. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I would like to think that you mean that you watch the games at home standing up, but I don't think that is what you're saying.

I haven't seen on on television in a long time. :(

20. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Is it going to be a real radio web cast?

I stopped going to those because I thought they were just match tracker type things.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I listened to one earlier in the year that featured Sean Wheelock's vocal stylings.

It was very well done and of high quality.

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dave Johnson did the webcast last week and did a great job. I hope I can get on the soccer chat tonight as last week was a no go.

23. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    They have been good in the past and usually a bunch of people get together in the BigSoccer Chat Room and discuss the game.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Does anyone know if the chat room is limited to Premium members only. I couldn't get on last week, and read the same gripe from numerous posters. I'm premium now, but many others aren't.

25. kirby94

kirby94 New Member

Apr 21, 1999
    I remember in 1996 being able to see way more DC games than the last couple of years even if it meant tape delay @ 2 a.m. on HTS. But maybe I'm just delusional. I'm all for tape delay over nothing. Particularly for away games.

Its been discussed here in the past by a poster with inside knowledge (former employee of HTS or Comcast, IIRC), but HTS/Comcast does its best to downplay United's fairly strong ratings. I don't know that this is still the case, but I believe in the past, United or MLS has had to pay them to show our games because of lack of commercial space and lack of revenue generated by soccer games as their arguments. A strong tv following limits Comcast's negotiating power with United for money. It is my opinion ONLY that United tried to press this point the season games were only on NC8 in DC, and thats why the 2 parties failed to come to an agreement. United may be doing all it can do, Comcast has its reasons for not wanting strong soccer ratings.

United's strong ratings lower the $$ value of the ratings of the other "major" players on the network, Caps, Os, Wizards, etc. When or if advertisers see the price for ad time they pay for a hockey game v. what they could pay for a soccer game with similar or higher ratings, they would feel gouged.

I don't know if I'm explaining this right. But I do know that back in 1998 (or 1999, whichever year HTS didn't carry any games), I wrote HTS a letter on this topic and their response to me was to downplay DC's ratings and to say (paraphrased) "we don't feel that DC United is the kind of programming that brings new subscribers to our channel."