Rant about American Beer

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Jun 29, 2005.

1. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    It's disgusting, horrible, water how can we let Budweiser and Michelob and other companies get away with this. Only beer thats worthwhile domestically is Sam Adams. Why can't Americans brew beer like Germans/Czechs, actually just about any other country. Kirin, Tiger, Qingdao, and other Asian beers are better. It seems like we are the only country that brews beer not for taste, but for the simple task of getting teens drunk...

2. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    People like Budweiser. People like Miller Lite. People like brand loyalty.

So what?

There's a gazillion other beers in this country. Drink them if you don't like the big ones. If someone likes Miller Lite, why should you feel the need to tell them they drink lousy beer? They like it. If they like it, it ain't lousy.

Why is that so hard to understand?

3. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Get off your ranting chair and get your tail to a good beer store that sells quality American beer such as Victory, Redhook, Sierra Nevada, Flying Fish, Weyerbacher, Rogue, Brooklyn Lager, Yuengling, or Yards. Excellent American beer isn't too hard to find.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuthingjgj wronggggg withh aMERICANNNN BEEERRR....I JIST had my yyy 8yh bud and hooowww drae yuouy insuolty the finnnne tradtionms of AMmwmmerican bir...geeeeez

yooou libbbbeerral lefttuuuusit...commmmmie

bud maaaaaaannn ...havingggggg annnutgher

ehhhh

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You got it right... but again, you are not tlking about beer the first place, just water :)
    people=Americans?
    Freude schöner Götterfunken... can't get better for Europe :)

6. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't doubt that...but I'm talking about beers that are most common, especially in college campuses and house parties. I don't doubt that there are SOME good American beers, but no one has heard of these beers. I'm just talking about the overall American beer culture has no taste seemingly.

Hmm...my rant should have been more of a, how to say, editorial on American beer? :D

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Who drinks beer for the taste? Whatever gets me drunk is fine.

8. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Then you have no idea what you're talking about.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Amen to that. There are literally thousands of outstanding beers brewed in the USA, and they encompass every style of beer brewed throughout the world. Try to find a stout brewed in Germany. Try to find a lambic made in the Czech Republic.

http://www.realbeer.com/

http://www.beertown.org/

http://www.americanbeermonth.com/

http://beeradvocate.com/

http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/

Oh, and the Belgians make MUCH better beer than the Germans/Czechs do. :D

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The darker beers, IMO, aren't the Czech's strength. It's the pilsners that put them on the map. Pilsner Urquell isn't that great, but you can find it easily. Staropramen and Czechvar (Budvar or, in the CZech Republic, Budwesier--where the Americans got the name) are becoming more common and are excellent.

In the CR, Czech beer is also dirt cheap (once you leave the tourist areas), and their mass-produced stuff is all fantastic. Favorites: Velkopopovicky Kozel (sp?), Krusovice, Radegast, Barnard, and Budvar. I'm probably forgetting 19 or 20 other great beers.

That's true for the dark beers--Czech dark beers are way too sweet for my taste.

11. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Which is why I'm 18 and no one I know drinks any of the "bad" domestic stuff, friends and their parents included.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me? Unless something has radically changed in the last twenty years, drinking beer at college is about quantity, not quality. The only people drinking good beer were the faculty. If I could get a case of Natty Bo for the same price as a six-pack of Sam Adams, guess what I bought?

13. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yea, if you're in college and want some better beer, go to lectures, readings, etc. provided by the humanities and English departments. These people know how to get loaded in style. You may have to settle for wine and brie sometimes, but you'll never go begging for quality.

If you're going to house parties, be glad if they have Keystone, because it could be worse. I would bet, frat parties in Europe are just as likely to serve Grade D beer. Q

14. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    You're in Boston, go out and get yourself a bottle of Harpoon. The IPA is excellent. There's a fine brewery right there and there are thousands more in this country.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Harpoon used to have their own little Octoberfest (I assume they still but don't know since I don't live in Boston anymore). Good beer and good food.

16. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Thanks, but still, *ahem* not able to do that yet, maybe in a few years. ;)

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Lambic isn't a dark beer.

I used to drink Budvar when I lived in Germany back in the 80s. It's a very good beer, and it is better than Urquell.

Oh, and FWIW, Anheuser-Busch first started brewing a beer named Budweiser in 1876. The Budvar brewery didn't even exist until 1895. So the Americans did not get the name from the Czechs.

About the only ones I've commonly seen in the States are Checkvar (aka Budvar) and Pilsner Urquell. However, there's a liquor store in DC that has over 1200 beers available, with these Czech beers:

Crystal Lager, Czechvar, Herold Bohemian Black Lager, Herold Bohemian Wheat Lager, Herold Czech Lager, Herold Premium Bohemian Lager, Pilsner Urquell, Radegast, and Rebel

It's also true for "light" beers. I would much rather drink Corsendonk Pale Ale, Delerium Tremens, Duvel, Chimay Cinq Cents, Leffe Blonde, Petrus Aged Pale Ale, or Stella Artois than any Czech beer I've ever had. Yes, the Czech Republic has great beer, but IMHO Belgium has better beer.

18. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I wonder what the beer consumption rate is in Germany, Czech Rep. and England and Belgium. The tolerance of the people there are crazy, must be something in the air, because I swear, I felt that I could drink 2 times as much in Europe than I can in AMerica.

19. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    if I was going to rant it'd be about how I hate how people talk about the color of the beer instead of the style of beer. You'll hear, "I don't like dark beers." When what they really mean is, "I only like adjunct-filled lagers." Obviously, it's all about education and I think people need to do a better job of learning about what the heck it is they're drinking.

20. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

That is one of the more ignorant statements I've seen on Big Soccer......And thats an acheivement with all those Sams Army Spazzos here.....................

Most but not all Beers in Europe are stronger then The Bud and Miller and Michelob you were ranting about earlier.......................................

21. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    beer strength generally depends on the style not where it was brewed.

22. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

True!!! But in Europe there is more availability of stronger brewed varieties than in mainstream America.......

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Wrong.

24. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Really thanks for being so informative as to why in this answer...........................

You must be well versed in the subject.........

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, I am.

A-H Budweiser is around 5%. Miller is around 5.5%. Pilsner Urquell is around 4.5%. Checvar (aka Budvar) is around 5%.

Source

The idea that American beers are weaker than European beers is a myth.