Random All Star game comments

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by perctarit, Aug 5, 2002.

1. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of random All Star Game comments

1) Who is Paulina Rubio? Or, better yet, why is Paulina Rubio? I commend MLS for securing attractive - from a marketing standpoint if no other - talent for its marquee games. But I just don't understand Paulina Rubio. Perhaps it was the bizarre sensation of watching someone cavort for the camera in total disregard of the audience presence. Maybe I'm just getting old.

2) While sitting at a bar on Capitol Hill before the game, I happened to catch a reference to the All Star Game on the scrawl at the bottom of ESPN2. Imagine my surprise when it touted a matchup between East and West All Stars. I know that MLS and its fans are supposed to be grateful to ESPN for showing MLS at all. But is it too much to expect that they might get at least some of the basics correct?

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    One word: auroleas.

Yeah. Disney freaks.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. No idea. I know now - but I am unimpressed.

2. We are supposed to be happy to be mentioned at all.

4. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Q1) Rubio is pretty big in South America, says a friend of mine who just got back from a year in Chile. Too bad the game wasn't played in Santiago.

Q2) I've given up on the Mouse when it comes to any soccer "news." Just give me the moving pictures, kids, and I'll get by on the rest.

RS

5. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    1)Paulina is the latest product of the Latin pop marketing machine that was born with Ricky Martin and has most recently given us Shakira. I've heard accusations that Paulina is a Shakira wanna-be, but in actuality Paulina has been around in Latin music much longer than Shakira. Most people also would agree that Shakira is more talented artistically, whereas Paulina is just really hot and not much else.

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Best part of the afternoon...

Paulina riding on the back of a harley right in front of La Norte. Cue *************** being thrown at her. No direct hits unfortunately.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch Alexi Lalas talking to the kid during pre-game intros? "Don't pick your nose or anything" "How's your hair?"

Funny stuff keeping that little kid relaxed. Compare that stone faced Preki who couldn't even crack a grin.