Ramiro on Nats

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Jay Cee, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Jay Cee

Jay Cee New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    San Jose
    Same old, same old. Did I hear his foul caused a goal?

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he brought down a JAmacian in the box along the end line. Ramiro is a good player but I just felt he was over his head at this level.

3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good game. In addition to the foul he had a couple other shakey moments, including one pass that looked like dumping the puck ffor a line change. He did get in front of one Jamacian shot for a nice play. But over all, he was part of a weak spot for the Nats.

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    this should be his last cap....EVER....

i was suprised to see him in the starting IX, but made sense in BA's wish to clog the middle....

experiment over, thanks for calling....

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey moved up the charts with his performance... the takedown on the box might have worked tonight since nothing was at stake for the USA, but if that game happened in San Jose (Costa Rica), Panama, or Guatemala where the stakes are high it would cost him a roster spot.

He was there just as filler given that the USA could have lost and still would have advanced. He's a bubble player at best. Spector has a greater chance of making the team than Ramiro...

Ralston might have helped his cause too... another player who's been overlooked...

6. Jay Cee

Jay Cee New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    San Jose
    I agree on all the above posts.

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    The machine hasn't been invented that could measure the suckitude of "Fieldgoal" Corrales's performance. Is it too late to put him on the unprotected list?

8. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-G-L-Y...

Dempsey rocked, though.

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny, I probably cursed Corrales more this last year than I cursed Bush (which is saying a lot if you know me) but I didn't blast him too badly in hte above post. I guess because it isn't really his fault that he was stuck in so far over his head. I mean, who would turn down a cap, right? I would take the field if Arena called. But I am no more an international than he is. As a Quake, however, he is supposed to be an MLS mid-fielder. If a frog wants to be a prince, I can smile and say poor dumb frog. But when the frog fails at being a frog, I get pissed off.

10. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    Agree with all! Ramiro was horrible and I gasped when I saw him on the field as a starter. He can't shoot, pass, or tackle...what the heck was BA thinking? I believe this will be his last cap. I can't believe that he would get the nod over Mullan.

I thought LD had a good, if not quiet game.

Go Quakes!

11. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 words: what was Bruce thinking? WOW. that's all i can really say. Caused the PK, bad passing, his "shot" I think made it to row 28. I have no clue how he made the starting 11.. why not start a guy like Mullan (he was called in right??) over him, or anyone else. Dempsy had a great night.

Tsk Tsk Ramiro. Kiss the nats goodbye.

12. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    All is correct. I have to say this though (as a non-SJ fan), the look on his face after the PK was called broke my heart. You could see on his face that he knew he just lost whatever World Cup dreams he had harbored his whole life.

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about that. Plus it had the look of "what have I done to the team?" Poor guy. Bruce blew it on this one. I think we all knew he wasn't Nats material. He put him out there when he really had no chance to succeed because he was in waaaayyy over his head.

14. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your right.. that look said it all.

15. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. It's not like we hate the guy, but he had no business being there.

By the way, I felt sorry for Jamica. Some bad luck and a tough draw killed them. I mean, Trinadad and Tabago? Come on!

16. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean Panama? Panama advanced over them with their 3-0 over El Salvador

17. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    in defense of BA, he put out 3 central midfielders...Pablo & Ramiro as holding mids with LD in front...Ralston and Gibbs on the wings...an intriguing lineup that fit the squad...I was suprised that Jamiaca didn't push the left side at all...Gibbs pushed forward an awful lot and it seemed like Sanneh and Gooch never left the center...

so Ralston got the nod over Mullan....

Corrales must have shown well during training to get the spot over Dempsey...Dempsey came on with a lot more confidence and verve that RC...

IMHO, RC skills are declining at an alarming rate...no real shot, horrible passing, playing turtle on head balls...he would rate in the negatives...

hijole...

18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I mean T & T. They got a lucky draw with Mexico as the obvious number one, with the ridiculously small St. Vincent & The Grenadines and St. Kitts & Nevis. Put Jamaica in that group instead of T &T and they crusie into the final six with a good chance of making it to Germany. Like I said--bad luck.

19. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Whether Ramiro had the stinker he had last night, or if he had a total stormer of a match last night, he had no business being there. However, if he had a great match I wonder how many people would question his participation.

I think Arena just wanted one more look at Corrales, because Ramiro grew up in the youth nat system (U20 and U23 teams, 2000 Olympics). FWiW, he also played left back in previous Nats appearances. This was his fourth full nats cap.

I agree this should close the book on Ramiro's tenure with the nats, but he was nowhere near as terrible as Oguchi Onyewu. That clown was a trainwreck, at least when I was paying attention.

20. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Wonderful way to close an argument ;)

21. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Tis better to get capped in a qualifier and to have sucked, than to never get capped in a qualifier at all.

22. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he will feel that way...in about twenty or thirty years.

23. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

When he tells his grandchildren how he started for USA in qualifying for the 2006 WC.....conveniently ommitting key details like "i sucked","it was only one game", "I was only called up because Reyna had a pedicure that day", "the game was meaningless for the US", "I was the reason we got scored on".

24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or "I was at Richard Mulronney's house and answer the phone with a fake southern accent".

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wanted to take a look at Ramiro. He did.