Ralph to Europe soon?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by pc4th, Aug 27, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://216.198.206.182/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=827

Just wondering what kind of contract does Ralph has with MLS. Is this a 3 years deal or 2 years? In any case bad news for the Fire since they are likely to lose some great starters for next year. It is now or never for the Open Cup and MLS Cup.

2. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    *yawn*

I have no doubt Ralph will make his way to Europe some day in the not so distant future. It wont be before Sunday (which, I am not sure but I think is the close of the summer transfer season) and probably wont be during the winter signings either as interest in MLS players tends to dwindle as they are in their offseason. Ralph will be with us again next summer, just like Beasley and Bocanegra were with us all this summer despite reports as early as last year about "european interest"

3. boyz42006

boyz42006 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Maryland
    I think he would have a problem getting a work permit in the UK or some other European countries since he has not played enough games for Jamaica yet. Does anyone know which EU countries does not have the 75 percent rule or rules of this type?

4. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that only the UK has these restrictions. He could move to Sweden or the Netherlands without too much hassle.

5. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    Do citizens of Commonwealth countries get a break with English work permit rules?

6. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With D-Lo and Jaqua waiting on the bench, it's always Now for the FIRE!!!!!

7. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica's an independant nation, no?

8. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    over time

Ralph is having a wonderful season but I think European clubs would probably like to see him play more than 20 games to be certain he is the real deal. I would think another season in MLS and if he has the same or better numbers he's gone.

9. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Jamaica is an independent country and part of the Commonwealth and the Queen of England is Jamaica's Head of State.

10. RogerinIL

RogerinIL New Member

Feb 24, 1999
    As good as Damani is, he is still a work in progress. I doubt seriously that he would start for a Dutch side. So the question comes down to what's best for Damani in terms of his development. Does he continue to hone his skills in MLS or does he play reserve team football somewhere else? I'd say 1-2 more years in MLS developing into a more complete player should result in transfer offers that ensure starting in at least a really good second tier league like Holland or France.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not any longer, as I understand it.

12. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is Big Soccer, Realm Of The Arcane, I seem to remember reading recently that there is a movement in Jamaica to get out of the Commonwealth. Ironically, the rationale is that Jamaicans want to enforce the death penalty, but the British appellate court system consistently overturns all death penalty verdicts coming out of the Jamaican courts (all death penalty cases in Jamaica get to appeal to the British appellate courts apparently).

What the h-e-double hockey sticks does this have to do with Damani? I dunno, but maybe not being part of the commonwealth would change his ability to get a WP to play in the EPL.

Speculation! Big Soccer Style!

13. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as work permit rules are concerned members of the common wealth are subject to that same rule as all other non EU nations. Ralph has never been capped by Jamaica so England is out of the question.

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I guess this change in work-permit rules applies only to soccer. When it comes to other forms of employment, my impression always has been that if you live in a commonwealth nation there isn't that much red tape to land employment in the UK.

15. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    YOU'D THINK that after erasing the rookie record of eight goals in a season with 10 goals in 21 games in the US Major League Soccer (MLS) Chicago Fire's Jamaican striker Damani Ralph would be on top of the world.
    But he's not.

"I feel bad because I am young and having never really had the opportunity to represent my country before, I believed that by now I would have been given a chance," Ralph said about his non-selection.

"I am doing well and scoring goals. It is obvious that the team (Jamaica) is struggling in that department.

"It is very disappointing and even after the Gold Cup and now for this game against Australia I thought I would have been invited," said the man who has played for his country just once in a friendly international against Grenada last year.

Since that game, the former St. George's College and Harbour View player has been setting the US Major League Soccer (ML) alight but is yet to get some love from home.

His 10 goals have placed him in a joint sixth place on the goalscoring table in the MLS. Ahead of him are Taylor Twellman and Carlos Ruiz both with 13 goals; his teammate Ante Razov on 12; and the veteran Preki and Johns Spencer who have 11 goals apiece.

EUROPE BEGAN TAKING NOTE

So impressive has Ralph been for the season that clubs throughout Europe have begun to take note. There was even a report on Reuters that Italian powerhouse AS Roma were close to luring the player to the Serie A.

While he is flattered by the interest in him from Europe what he yearns for most at this time is to be a part of the national set up.

"The last time I had any conversation with the Jamaican coaching staff was last summer when myself and Shavar (Thomas) went to Grenada for the friendly. That has been my only game with the national team and I do not know if that qualifies as a cap as it was only a friendly.

"Since then I have not heard a word from anybody. I do not know what is happening," said Ralph searching for an answer.

Ralph's agent, Patrick McCabe, is equally puzzled by the continued blind eye being turned to his client.

"They (European clubs) are certainly paying more attention to him than the Jamaican federation. I have about seven video tapes to send to clubs in Germany, Holland, Belgium and the UK. They're all taking note of him," McCabe said, while speaking to The Gleaner by telephone from his home in the United States.

In the meantime, Ralph is not concerned with the call up of ostrikers Trevor Benjamin, Kevin Lisbie and Darren Byfield - all with inferior goalscoring records. Instead, he is focused on what he can control.

"I want to score at least six more goals in the seven regular season games that I have left and in the playoffs," said the confident six-footer. "We (Chicago Fire) have beaten every team except Columbus Crew and we have shown that we have the ability to go all the way. I would love for that to happen," he added.

Doubling the rookie record is not beyond the man who is not short on self-belief.

Earning starting spot in the Chicago Fire line up is an achievement itself.

FORTUNATE

"When you are a rookie they do not expect you to come in right away and contribute. Even though I worked hard and scored goals in the pre-season I was kind of fortunate the way things happened for me," Ralph explained.

The previous holder of the rookie scoring record, Brazilian Rodrigo Faria, had to head back home due to his father's illness and visa problems. Nate Jacqua, a rookie drafted ahead of Ralph, who went in the second round at 18, was tried but failed to have an impact. Ralph was next.

"I got my chance and grabbed it," he said.

Since then he has not looked back and is even considered by many the favourite for the Rookie of the Year award.

With the first season of a three-year contract out of the way, Ralph will be headed to Europe. But not to AS Roma. That report he said was not true.

"I am looking forward to going to Europe in the off-season to train with a number of clubs to show them what I have and to improve myself as well."

If there are concrete interests one place he will stand no immediate chance is in the UK.

"In England I know it will be difficult because I do not have any caps and the national situation is not making it any easier for me," explained Ralph.

Whatever happens Ralph, who worked his way from Meridian Community College to the University of Connecticut and into contention for MLS Rookie of the Year, will make it work.

16. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Did you write this article? If not a url would be nice unless you want some mod to give you a yellow card for copyright infringement issues.

17. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, where did you come up with "your" story?

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    So do you have a link or credit or did you intend to plagarise that article?

Nevermind. Beaten to it.

19. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
  20. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Oh yeah, the article was written by a freelance reporter named Nodley Wright.

21. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Plagarise? This is not G W Bush here.
    Why would anyone want to plagarise on a message board of this kind? It is just to pass information.

22. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    NBL

That seems a bit ambitious (Europe at all, no just AS Roma). I mean, I think it's definitely in his interest to stay here at least another year to see how he does. Who else has really gone over to make a great impact? Stern John has been quite good in England, and McBride too (but he's a vet), but Damani is definitely still learning. Jamaica should give him a shot, though, especially for domestic games. Their last friendly was in England, so most of the players based there got a shot. He'll hopefully get a chance next time they play on this side of the pond.

23. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems pretty obvious from the article that the Jamaican NT coaches don't think much of MLS. English Leaguers Benjamin (Leicester - EPL), Lisbie (Charleton - EPL) and Byfield (Rotherham - Div 1) get called up over Ralph. Byfield has been scoring over the last year or so -- 13 goals in 36 games -- but the others really haven't.

By the way, all 3 of these guys were born in England. Benjamin and Lisbie both played for youth teams -- U21 and U18 respectively before being cap tied to Jamaica later.

24. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It's customary (and a rule of the terms of service) to provide a link and/or credit for the article you post anytime you do.

You may not think it's a big deal but sites such as this have been sued over less.

25. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Don't know much about Jamaica, but does anyone know if St. George's College is a college or a high school or a football academy? In the article I posted from the Jamaica Gleaner, it stated that Damani went there.

I understand that along with Damani, Andy Williams went there as well as LA Galaxy's Marshall and the Metro's Craig Zadie.

As for the Jamaica coaches, they better start paing attention to the MLS because the majority of the US team plays here and we are miles ahead of them. Some of these English lower division players would find it hard to crack into any first team here.