Rafael Santos Borré - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Tio Nicci, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hmmm... They are linked to a couple of our players then.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Add Besiktas of Turkey to the rumor list.

3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow. Se repite el gesto de Radamel.

Esto es comun, @locoxriver ?

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mmm not really.. Carlos Sanchez and Barovero left the club without leaving River a cent, for example.

What is common though is that players typically resign their commission percentage (10-15%) of a transfer or an owed debt in order for the move to go through, but you don’t usually see any income for the club from a free transfer scenario.

I understand Falcao wanting to give back to the team given that they formed him as a player since a young age and stuck by him through all his serious injuries, but Borre’s decision comes a bit less expected.

Regardless I get the sign of respect since River did help him get his career back on track when he almost quit the sport (besides also investing nearly 4M for his transfer in the first place), but it’s absolutely not a requirement he give anything back and usually something you don’t see the greed-filled world of football.

ryu79 and pepinointer repped this.
  6. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I get River fans are here but he is a Dept Cali youth product who did so well with them that for a move to Athletico Madrid.

so this whole he owes River something. Is laughable. Kid get injured next game and. His career can be over. What ever money he has is all he has.

do you guys give your signing bonus to your mentors at your old jobs?

kromekote, Doogs and Furnaccio repped this.
  8. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

If he felt he owed them something, then that’s his choice

Don’t see the problem

locoxriver repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In my opinion JuanFer and Santos Borre owe River and Gallardo lots of money.
    They saved their careers.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    borre went to Germany

Juanfer to China…. If anything River fkd Juan fer

11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Juanfer might be making same money. It was his call.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    His wife literally said he was on the verge of quitting the sport before River signed him. They gave him new life: now he's back to Europe, playing in the NT, well-respected by his peers. Like I said before, he doesn't owe River anything, but if he felt he wanted to give back that's his choice. A lot of successful people give back to organizations/communities that supported them and helped them get to where they are, even though it isn't an obligation.

Besides, even though he's giving River $1M, it's not like he's leaving empty handed... he'll still rake in nearly $10M from the move (an immediate $1.5M sign-on bonus outside of what he's donating + $8M in salaries over the course of the contract). Lets not act like he's going to Germany with an empty bank account.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1m is like 20 bucks for him

14. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Super interesting! Wonder if they sent doctors to do his medical in Brasil?

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is a great tweet spotted by Doogs , dropping here for posterity in Borré's thread:

Doogs and sidspaceman repped this.
  17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wearing this one for Rafa today.

Attached Files:

sidspaceman and kromekote repped this.
  18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    They fulfilled their contract and brought River titles. River can ******** off Borre and Juanfer did what they were brought for and exceeded expectations hugely. If they weren't playing well or got injured they wouldn't get a cent extra out of River, the terms of the contract are all that matters.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have high regard for El Muneco and what he did to revive their careers. He deserves high praise for helping JuanFer play at a high level after many people thought he was a bum at el DIM.

Santos Borre was so inconsistent in Europe and could hardly get shots accurately on target and as has been stated even thought about giving up the sport.

They owe Gallardo and River at least some gratitude and appreciation for making them better players and making them excel in ways many doubted they could. The money thing was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.

20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think it would be decent to show them gratitude and affection for what they've done for their careers and it seems like they've done that. Everybody did their job well, Gallardo really seems to have an impact on these guys so I think from a human perspective absolutely they should feel and express gratitude, but from a professional perspective they shouldn't feel obligated obviously. I view it in terms of range of outcomes, you sign players like Borre and Juanfer and sometimes you're gonna see it blow up in your face and sometimes they will buy in and revive their careers and their talents will blossom, everybody played a big part in that and they hit close to the best outcomes. It's a happy story and Borre and Juanfer now get to make the most out of it and although River didn't get hefty transfer fees, winning titles is what clubs ultimately should be concerned with and obviously that's also worth a lot of money so everybody got a payoff imo.

ryu79 repped this.
  21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    still makes me lol

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah but you make it sound as if River is demanding something from the players... River never requested anything from Borre, so if he personally wants to donate part of his sign-on bonus what’s the problem? If the club were so greedy they would have just sold him within the last year to claim a transfer fee.

In Quintero’s case, he wanted to leave so they sold him for less than what they valued him at (also at a time when the club had no intention to get rid of him). The club respected his personal choice.. no one said he “owed” anything or that he had to stay, even though he still had 2 years left on his contract

pepinointer repped this.
  23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree in the other side........is incredible how donofrio have managed to lose a lot of important players without recieved a dolar...........i think there is something tthat isnt working good in that branch............in one hand is a good signal that you know that the club is focusing in sport achievements but at the same time you have to see how to effectively monetize your assets not lo lose for free......dont know maybe looking for partnerships in europe with clubs.........more realistic realeses clauses...

locoxriver repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think its fine, someone said they owed them money and River seems to have handled it well. I'd imagine Borre had a handshake deal with River that he'd donate some of the fee back? No problem with River, if Borre and Juanfer want to give back to a business that's their choice, personally I wouldn't.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I implied they should pay them for reviving their careers in jest.
    Not to be taken too seriously.

villus repped this.