Rafael Marquez - Our Legend - but now?

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by NCCFBALL, Jun 13, 2012.

1. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Now I don't want this thread to turn into a....Marquez is too old, he is too slow, doesn't deserve to be NT...basically hating on him. Rafa is one of the most celebrated players from our country and deserves respect.
    That being said, is his time with NT actually done in Chepo's eyes? I know he was hurt early on, but he only played a little bit against Wales during this batch of games. I would figure if he was that hurt, he would not have been on the bench last night. Perhaps Chepo has talked to him and said.."look, you aren't a starter for us anymore, you can still play and i want you part of this team as a mentor, leader, and a great backup...are you in or are you out?" If this latter is the case, I think it could be an ideal setup, I know during the broadcast last night they mentioned that Rafa went up to the coaches during the game and seemed to be taking tactics with them or pointing stuff out. I think this is very helpful and if this is his role, that I'm good with that and hope to see him in Brazil. Or is he more of a starter but wasn't 100% fit so chepo sat him during these games?

thoughts?

2. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it would be very beneficial to still have Rafa around for his futbol IQ.

He has a very good eye for tactics which I think is evident by his passing skills. Also as you mentioned he has an awesome resume and experience, which I think could help the younger guys who are moving up learn.

overall I dont see him as a starter anymore, but definitely a leader/player-coach

3. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    I much rather have him on the field than Salcido.

Rafa > Salcido

What does Chepo see in Salcido that Rafa can't do?

SkiptoMyLou repped this.
  4. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Salcido is still pretty quick and I think he can dribble better, but that is all.

Rafa's passes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Salcidos passes

5. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Yeah, Salcido's passing last night against El Salvador was really poor. I lost count how many times he lost the ball and/or miss hit the ball. Rafa at DM >>> Salcido at DM

My theory of why Chepo is not playing Rafa is his discipline issues with the Red Bulls. I remember reading somewhere that Chepo did not like how Rafa was acting at NY. To Chepo, if you are captain of the NT many times but act poorly with your club team it will look bad on your part.

6. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    He is too slow now. I think Chepo ha him on the team because someone in power told him to include him. It happens.

7. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Rafa still offers leadership on & off the pitch. I'd much rather have him play as DM alongside Zavala than Salcido. even though Salcido is much faster than Rafa, what good is speed if he can't defend or pass? Rafa at least offers that and we could have used his passing last night.

El Jalisciense and El Mariachi repped this.
  8. Blu.

Blu. Member+

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If he is done with the NT than the Olympics would be a perfect sending off. Take Salcido out who doesn't even deserve to be there and put Rafa who is a better player. Win/Win.

9. Agapito X Fa

Agapito X Fa Member+

Apr 21, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's clear that even at 100% Rafa is not going to start as long as Maza and Moreno are healthy.

Even then i think he's behind Hugo Ayala

I think the reason why he's still being called up is for his leadership. It's good to have a guy like him who has won it all in the group. I think he makes it to 2014 in a role similar to Claudio Suarez in 06

El Jalisciense repped this.
  11. Gio D Santos 17

Gio D Santos 17 Member+

Nov 1, 2010
    Electric Avenue
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Rafa should make the Confed 2013 squad and that be it for him.
    Maybe he can make the world cup just for motivational reasons.
    But a 23 man squad and with all the youth we have coming up it will be a tough decision.
    Ayala not starting but in 1 of our last 5 games has me a bit worried though.
    Maybe de la Torre has more faith in Mier instead of Ayala who knows.
    I just hope we don't see Maza leading our back-line in 2014,
    Sure he is a above average defender and makes pretty decent choices, but at that point he will be 32.
    That's my little input on it.

LGRod repped this.
  12. strada1972

strada1972 New Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    RAFA ES Y SERA UNA DE LAS MAS GRANDES ESTRELLAS DEL TRI. JUEGA EN LA MLS POR ESA RAZON TOMA EN SERIO LOS ENTRENAMIENTO

13. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd still rather have Rafa in the midfield instead of Salcido any day of the week.

14. strada1972

strada1972 New Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    la mayoria de nosotros pensabamos que peralta la romperia en los olimpicos,pero solo estorba en el campo. porque no pensaron en Rafa?

LGRod repped this.
  15. strada1972

strada1972 New Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    rafa por siempre

[​IMG]

Miguel Myers repped this.