Rafael Benitez needs a playmaker for Liverpool to be successful. (Soccernet Article)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Takkie, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=305429&cc=5901

i agree with most of his points, i wouldnt mind an upgrade at keeper (though it's not a necessity), I think Josemi is that Defender we needed(we still need an athletic center half for Hyppia).On his comments on who we should acquire for the midfield , i wouldnt mind Van Der Vaart or Duff.

thoughts on the article?

2. sokkerluver

sokkerluver Red Card

Jul 22, 2004
    Chicago,Illinois,USA
    Van der Vaart stated before he would like to go to Barca.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I disagree with the article. What he fails to point out is that Valencia were without Aimar for a huge portion of last season and they did not miss a beat. In fact, they basically won the UEFA Cup without him. Even if Aimar did play, he always had both Albelda and Baraja behind him. With 3 players in the center of midfield you either have to play with 3 at the back or 1 up front. I don't think it would make sense for Liverpool to play in either of these formations. There is no way that an Aimar type player could fit into a conventional 4-4-2. Pairing Gerrard with this type of player is a total waste of his great talent. Gerrard is not a Viera or Keane. He is a great attacking player that happens to also be capable of playing a holding role. But as seen in Euro 2004 he is totally wasted there. I think Rafa would be more interested in signing a partner for Gerrard that can cover for him, but also create things himself. Baraja and Xabi Alonso have been mentioned. Aimar are Van der Vaart are too one dimensional, and their isn't a similar player that has been sucessful in the Premiership. I could see it working if they played off a single striker, but since we have 3 world class strikers, it wouldn't make sense to play 1 up front.

If we are going to play better attacking football, perhaps we need a replacement for Hamann. Someone who is less limited going foward, but he still must be capable of covering for Gerrard. Sticking Gerrard in a holding role is not a solution. We also need a right winger who can create things on the right side. Finally, we need Kewell to have a much better season and play like he did while he was at Leeds. We have 3 strikers that we know are capable of scoring the goals if they are given the service.

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The point made about needing to allow Aimar a free role is a good one. He simply wouldn't fit the Premiership (case in point being Veron who was considered as good going forward as Aimar but better tracking back). I'd love to see Baraja link up with Gerrard. They are both very similar players, but they would be able to produce the goods. Has Davids been confirmed at any club yet? He would be an ideal partner, although a short term solution, but would be able to help aid the development of John Welsh.
    The creativity we desperately lack should come from the signing of Shaun Wright Phillips. Man City are in huge debts and this transfer would be seen as favorable for them as they have ready made cover on the right wing for him and it would bring 5-8 million quid into their coffers.
    Benitez loves flying wingers, case in point being Vicente and Rufete at Valencia. Both got up and down the wings and bore much of the playmaking responsibilities when Aimar was hurt. Kewell and SWP would provide this for us.
    The addition of Josemi ends our defensive searches. He is a quick, tough tackling center half who will prove a good foil to Hyypia. Henchoz will finally be resigned to the bench.