Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Roger was scared by Trump voters. The NBA can afford to blow off the Trumpsters, because it's an urban sport, but regular ol' white boys are the biggest segment of the NFL's audience. When the Donnie spoke up, Goodell cowered.

I don't think the NBA's Silver is better, by the way. Silver crawled away and hid when China got mad. He just has a different audience than the NFL, so it was an easy call for him to blow off the good ol' boys and be woke.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It all just boils down to $$$.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For the commissioners, it does. Obviously the players make decisions for various reasons, but the commissioners are there to watch the bucks.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, but why is the NFL getting on the bandwagon now? Won't the Trumpsters still get pissed off and won't the NFL potentially lose a big chunk of their fan base? I haven't searched yet but I bet there's a lot of "NFL is virtue signalling" out on social media from Trumpsters right now.

charlie15 repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    OK so he's a contrarian POS who happens to be white and anti civil rights. As was Poppa. All I got then.

In February 2019, the stage was finally set. The federal anti-lynching legislation was introduced by the Senate's three African-American members -- Sens. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Tim Scott (R-S.C.) -- and it passed unanimously. The bill then went to the House, which passed it by a margin of 410 to 4.

The House did, however, make one symbolic tweak to the legislation: the Democratic-led chamber renamed the bill the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act, as a way to honor the memory of the 14-year-old young man who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955.
    That minor change meant the Senate would have to pass the bill one last time. That was supposed to happen yesterday. It didn't.

Raw feelings were evident as Sen. Rand Paul -- who is single-handedly holding up the bill despite letting it pass last year -- sought changes to the legislation as a condition of allowing it to pass.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...t-rand-paul-holds-anti-lynching-bill-n1225781

soccernutter, Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16956 charlie15, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    When a big part of the population doesn't make a lot of money, saying the election was shifted because of some "rich Brazilians" swinging the votes is just plain ignorant. As I mentioned Bolsonaro actually increased social welfare last year. But .. he didn't campaign saying he would, so his voters that considered that an issue were probably disappointed. You mentioned he is just trying to keep him happy ... but I can turn and say Lula was doing the same just buying votes ... since he oversaw $2B of public money go to corruption instead of you know, helping the part of the population he came from himself.

I know this post is a bit of a ramble ... I am not so good at being concise.[/QUOTE]

The amount of revisionism in this post is beyond belief, starting with the remarkable description of the Brazilian army, a corrupt and criminal institution responsible for hundred of deaths during the coup and the 21 yrs of military dictatorship (Something Bolsonaro is so proud of btw)....,,
    I won't even expand of the description of racism in Brazil, totally reminiscent of the lost cause.
    After your long and rambling rant, it is hard for me to believe you did not vote for Bolsonaro and that you are not voting for Trump. I rest my case...

sitruc repped this.
  7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is never forthcoming. And you know why not.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This! I don't care about the NFL and basically stopped watching when the blackballed Kap. Having said that, it is a pretty big deal. 10 of the NFL owners gave millions to Trump. The league is supported by a lot of white men that are also trumpsters.
    Howevee, Goodell and the owners are smart capitalists , they realize the tide is turning and they need to jump on the bandwagon before it is too late. Make no mistake, it is a watershed moment and a big blow for Trump as well.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So basically you have nothing to say. Got it.

Didn't vote at all in Brazil. Would never vote for Bolsonaro ... but neither would ever and didn't vote for Lula who is a thief. Didn't and most definitely won't vote for Trump. Believe what you want, I see you're pretty good at that.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did you look at that picture long enough to determine what kind of facial hair he has?

And then there is Lester Freamon.

11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said what I have to say long time ago. Your president is a racist, a crook and a homophobic SOB but you still feel the need to defend him and to attack Lula who lifted million of Brazilians out of poverty. I guess since they are mostly black, they may not count for you though.

Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The corporations are aboard. Kaep was outside the mainstream, but BLM in 2020 is not. Supporting BLM has become part of corporations' diversity pledges.

song219, Q*bert Jones III and charlie15 repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    it is. Goodell quietly signaled to Donnie that Trumpism is not the way that the informed money will bet.

russ repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, this black Mayor of Buffalo is an embarrassment. He is trying his best to minimize the events from this AM. Rachel is holding his feet to the fire though.

onefineesq, sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not true, perhaps the laws were different as in no Jim crow laws, but you guys did have slavery for a longer time, maybe the last country in the Americas to get rid of it.

But segregation is pretty big in Brazil.

http://www.humanosphere.org/human-r...rate-stark-racial-segregation-brazils-cities/

https://lab.org.uk/brazils-blind-spot-racism-and-racial-inequality/

One big difference that I read and hear about Brazil is that poor whites are more willing to live and be friends with poor black Brazilians.

So the fantasy that Brazil is a melting pot is somewhat more real at the bottom of the economic latter, rather than up the latter (obviously rich famous people can be more mix).

charlie15 repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Watching it right now.

Maddow is not letting him off easy, without being rude...as is her style.

He is not doing himself any favors.

In particular, questioning why none of the officers rendered aid or even worked to protect the injured man.

The Mayor keeps saying it is not the job of the police to render aid, that there are medics "behind the front line."

He is digging himself deeper and deeper the moment.

charlie15 repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny part is, after twisting himself into a pretzel to minimize the facts, at the end of the interview he denounced the Buffalo Police union as a being on the wrong side of history and an obstacle to reform.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Then why are you still talking ?

I am not defending him, I am explaining the voter's mindsets in Brazil. You have some blinders on man. You're making assumptions and reading into things I am not writing. The only thing I said "positive" about him is that his military background portrayed an image of not being corrupt. But I bet even if there is corruption, it won't be some $2B Lula atrocity. PT has party members with ghost jobs bro. I know because I have two such relatives who received money from BS jobs.

And I never said he didn't make racist / homophobic remarks. And you're last statement is just shameful. And I am stopping here as to not hijack the thread. Feel free to PM me. I don't mind exchange of ideas.

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah.....I am good. Bye Felicia!

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yes our slavery did last until a later date, I never claimed otherwise. The end of it just didn't come on the back of a big civil war that divided the country. There were revolts ... and it was a gradual process. When I say we didn't have segregation, I mean that we didn't have official Government sponsored segregation. The Government basically left the freed slaves to figure things out on their own. Gave them no help AFAIK.

It's why I say it's more socio-economic than the other aggressive racial undertones that exists in the US. Mind you, I am not saying it doesn't exist in Brazil. It just feels like a bit less than in the US.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Last night for those who missed it...

I am always faster than any member of the lycra brigade and I don't wear that mess.
    The sad part is he probably believes this. In the ongoing protest events thread I mentioned that BLM wasn't embraced by progressives more than any other part of the Dems and noted how Sanders and Yang weren't too far from this thought as well. A lot of people genuinely believe as long as everyone gets something, that solves things. Of course Trump takes this to a dumber place than anyone else, but it's not an uncommon belief.

ElJefe repped this.
  22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16972 onefineesq, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    That video of the Washington Monument was precisely why I chose those words. Amazingly impressive, that lightning.

Also, I have to admit to everyone … I do, in fact, wear my bicycling gear (pants and zip-up shirt and all) when I go riding. I assure everyone here though that I look WAY better than the child assaulter in Bethesda IN said gear.

KCFutbol and sitruc repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Skai Jackson is exposing a bunch of racists on her twitter timeline right now.
    https://twitter.com/skaijackson

I genuinely believe tik tok is the most racist place on the Internet. That place is full of kids. I think about that a lot when people keep saying that's the generation that's going to be the change.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For me, it was a combo of Kaep's mistreatment and the arrival of United a few months after Trump's coronation. I thought I'd miss it, but I haven't. I watch the odd cfb game, but even that has gone by the wayside the last couple of years.

I kinda hate it for cfb fans here on this site that Alabama pretty much ended the cfb threads in Sports. There was one guy (an LSU fan) other than me keeping it alive, and he finally went away after 2016 or so. He didn't even go back to celebrate LSU's win over Bama and the natty that resulted.

charlie15 repped this.
  25. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hopefully this changes things

WASHINGTON (AP) — Protesters stirred by the death of George Floyd vowed Friday to turn an extraordinary outpouring of grief into a sustained movement as demonstrations shifted to a calmer, but no less determined focus on addressing racial injustice.

https://apnews.com/05476b9620f2b5f9900e16ccc8dc3a75