Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the "slur" that Boomer Adjacent GenX'rs are earning

russ and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK, I looked it up. In my experience, Karens are likelier to be of Eastern European immigrant stock than the blonde WASPs suggested through my google search, but either way, we all know the type.

russ repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So you were one for three here.

xtomx repped this.
  4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14879 The Devil's Architect, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/karen/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dominican Lou and sitruc repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My kid explained to me that Karens not only have a haircut like that Kate of the "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" reality TV show, but they act like her too. Then I understood. They should call them Kates.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I get it now. I work with a woman who ticks all the boxes but doesn't have the short blond hair. Always thinks she's right. Talks down to everyone. Thinks her middle school kid will make it to MLB. In a group discussion about yoot sports I casually mentioned that in our surrounding towns I've heard of 1 kid who signed a minor league baseball contract in the past 10 years and his career fizzled out. The other success story is Karl-Anthony Towns. Her kid isn't going to be 7 feet tall. I think my statements totally confused her. :D

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Karens do exist, that haircut and everything. And they're one of many reasons why I don't grocery shop on weekends. Amusingly, I probably knew them 11-12 years ago at my first job. They always had the following:

Tight jeans, white shirt, maybe in a dress style, probably had a lower back tattoo (It was the mid 2000s after all), wearing ankle length boots. The hair was long and always sort of dirty blonde. The guys they were with all looked the same, too.

And they all had the same entitlement, too.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad's are born Chad's, stay a Chads until their silverback phase when they become a Don or a Donald

for the females

They start out as an Emma or a Becky, then morph into a Staci after HS, before becoming a fertile, but bitter Karen, which is much of their adult state, eventually becoming a Sharon, then just living on in perpetuity after their Donald has gone missing to committed suicide s an escape, drain their life out of their children until the cold dark void calls them home

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  9. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Omg Karen's in their heyday were like Ashley's or Jennifer's, Brittany's and Tiffany's. Names that really do not exist anymore lol and have morphed in Karen's. Suburban, entitled, privileged, bitter and at times in your face and confrontational. White tears are their best defense mechanism. Politically I feel they are across the spectrum many are dye in the wool Republcans but there are many Subaru driving "white liberal" Karen's as well. The type here in CA who will have a rainbow flag in their house window with a yard sign of a litany of liberal positions they believe in, yet sideeye me and look at me like an exotic creature because a black man dared walked into a coffee shop just wanting a Sunday morning cappuccino lol

10. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

Context: She is co-owner of The Chum Bucket.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Google tells me that the voice actress of Karen is married to Tom Kenny, the voice of Spongebob.

There's your useless fact of the day.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
  13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh @Timon19...
    Yeah, I pulled this out of the Transgender thread, fits better here.

I'm wondering why Libertarians are so goddamned concerned with being able to freely adopt Native children?

Is it because it's much cheaper than going to Asia / Eastern Europe and that they can be more readily passed off as Caucasian passing / coded?

Or is it an end around to return to the Termination Era via reducing blood quantum tribes & tribes in general to zero citizens

sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Karen is most often a white woman and some Becky's are Karens. Becky is most often just a basic white woman. As has been described in this thread, Karen often wants to speak to the manager. Karen really earns hear name when she is calling the police on black people minding their business and living their life. That has become the more significant and popular use of the name. "BBQ Becky" was a Karen. The woman at work who threatened to have me (and nobody else) towed for parking in the same spot I have parked in for the past 7 years although I was walking to my car is a Karen.

Of course as I revisit that woman's timeline, she thinks Becky is ageist and anti-Semitic. She has a lot of really, really bad takes.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well Becky does come from Rebecca, and Rebecca is a somewhat Jewish name. (As opposed to say, Caroline or Sandrine or, duh, Marie.) But I don't see how the Becky stereotype is in any related to being Jewish. So nope, I am not buying that one.

16. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    I'm not sure why you're asking for pre-Louisiana Purchase actions when the Louisiana Purchase itself was carried out by the arguably foundingest of all Founding Fathers.

But before the cannons of the Revolutionary War had a chance to cool down, the US already had militiamen way out in Indiana.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-hogeland-americas-forgotten-war-20170604-story.html

I guess you could call that an invasion. Or you could call it a response to the actual, unquestioned, US-led invasion of North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed.

It's a big White Christian name around here. I know a few Rebeccas and only one is Jewish, AFAIK. And I know some girls whose legal name is "Becky". The whole Becky thing (from Mix-a-Lot) was much more about a garden-variety White girl than specifically a Jewish one.

sitruc repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're in Alabama, bro. A Jew is a legend who drinks Christian babies' blood.

Yeah yeah I know Huntsville. Not the same, you have an actual Jewish population, yada.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Which was, y'know, part of the new country, the United States. And I think you may be a little unclear just what a "militiaman" was?

I
    Which started south of Seoul? Wonder how that worked?

And I gather you haven't yet figured out where Lhasa is, so you haven't responded on that one?

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Only because of a US UK agreement. Certainly the residents of that area weren't counseled.

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I assume you meant "consulted"

Actually, they sort of were, although the process was awfully inefficient, due to both linguistic and conceptual misunderstandings.

But in the negotiations, both sides made pretty good-faith efforts to look out for their interests, as much as they understood them and could transcend their own paternalistic impulses.

Only, the hoi palloi on both parts lacked anything like good-faith. The British military armed them and encouraged them to attack the Americans and the American settlers tried to chase them out into Canada, and so on...

23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** you, you alcoholic.

[emoji8]

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alcohol, baby...

I haven't had a drink in more than a year, Not because I'm all "oohhhh Natives & Alcohol", I just quit and moved on to edibles & prescription narcotics

chad, yossarian and JohnR repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beclowning is strong in that one.